Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hey guys
    i hope you can help me! i'm from germany and applied with my german "higher education entrance qualification" (a-levels basically) and i just got informed that wesminster rejected me for biotechnology as they require a minimum of 2.3
    now i wasn't sure if they used the german grades notation. cause i got 2.8...(1,0 is the best u can achieve) i know my rejection would seem logical according to that
    but on the other hand my 2.8 are 31 points IB...and wesminster requires 26 IB points for biortechnology! so i'm well above the entry requirements...
    i'm not sure what to do? could it be possible they made a mistake with the german grades system?

thanks!

ReputationRep:
    I would call and ask them! It all sounds a bit confusing, so maybe they got muddled. It would be best to ask them though!

English uni's have a habit of ******* up converting the hardness of different countries grade systems, its rather unfair.

ReputationRep:
    It's a blessing in disguise

Apply elsewhere

ReputationRep:
    Phone them up you can get it sorted then

ReputationRep:
    I would call and ask them! It all sounds a bit confusing, so maybe they got muddled. It would be best to ask them though!
    guess would be the best, yea hope they'll get it then, they probably mixed up germany with switzerland...there 6,0 is the highest grade -.- ah well...

English uni's have a habit of ******* up converting the hardness of different countries grade systems, its rather unfair.
    haha, so it's quite common they mess up sometimes? makes me feel better already

ReputationRep:
    It's a blessing in disguise
    lol...is westminster that bad? ^^ applied for queen mary as well...my first choice actually... just got a bit shocked that westminster! rejected me x_x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pastelnova)
    lol...is westminster that bad? ^^ applied for queen mary as well...my first choice actually... just got a bit shocked that westminster! rejected me x_x
    Yes, Westminster does have a fairly appalling reputation. Queen Mary (QMUL) is much better. What are your other choices?

PS if you want to see how good your university is, then there are several choices
    a) Look on Wikipedia - if it says that it was once a polytechnic, then it won't be that great (Westminster is an ex-poly, QMUL isn't). However, there are still massive gradations within these two groups
    b) Look on various university ranking tables e.g. Times Good University Guide although these should be taken with a large pinch of salt
    c) Look at what groups they belong to. Russell Group > 1994 group > Million+
    d) Ask!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I second what people have said about contacting them. Explain why you are worried and they may reconsider your application.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Origami Bullets)
    Yes, Westminster does have a fairly appalling reputation. Queen Mary (QMUL) is much better. What are your other choices?

PS if you want to see how good your university is, then there are several choices
    a) Look on Wikipedia - if it says that it was once a polytechnic, then it won't be that great (Westminster is an ex-poly, QMUL isn't). However, there are still massive gradations within these two groups
    b) Look on various university ranking tables e.g. Times Good University Guide although these should be taken with a large pinch of salt
    d) Ask!
    Firstly you don't know what you are talking about - obviously you are basing your answers on private league tables and Wikipedia! This basically says it all. The University of Westminster does not have an appalling reputation.

The University of Westminster was very well respected in the Victorian era - it was actually the first polytechnic which all the subsequent other polytechnics were modelled on - it was a pioneer in moving pictures and British cinema and to this day is one of the best places in the world to study media, communications, journalism and related arts - research wise and teaching for this particular area is unsurpassed.

http://www.westminster.ac.uk/about/n...lace-of-cinema

The University has also actually won two Queen's awards for enterprise - no other university has done this to date.

http://www.queensawards.org.uk/busin...e.html#UniWest

The University ranking systems are constructed by journalists who obviously have preconceived views on where certain institutions fit within the rankings before hand - they factor in spurious data such as facilities spend and tariff entry points etc and certain institutions are well known for manipulating this data to their advantage - the student satisfaction survey is a good example of this. This is well known and has all been explained many times before on this website and other places.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/7397979.stm

http://www.hefce.ac.uk/news/hefce/2008/league.htm

Westminster - alongside many other universities with different histories, such as City University London and Hull are actually not affiliated to any of the focus groups/think tanks/interest groups - such as the Russell group, 1994 or Million+ which are just essentially clubs for universities to promote their own interests to government and the private sector - not very balanced and fair if you ask me.

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguid...e.htm?ipg=8990

As for advising someone to “ASK” – this is all fair and well if you don’t understand or comprehend what you are asking about in the first place; which you have so elegantly demonstrated in your misinformed and basic post. Things are not what they seem, you need to do in-depth research, cross reference and fully comprehend where a particular source is obtaining its information and data from. That is what Westminster taught me anyway.

Universities should show their worth and standing by their ethical research and quality, student teaching and support (Westminster has the largest scholarship system out of any UK university) and knowledge transfer - which Westminster leads in.

http://www.westminster.ac.uk/schools/exchange

In the last research assessment exercise - 2008 - Westminster was one of the best performing former polytechnics - matching some of the plate glass universities and showing that it is an up and coming institution - especially in the biological sciences and allied health professions area - a proper peer reviewed task by the government so they could allocate research funding - not Wikipedia or made up private league tables!

http://www.rae.ac.uk/

http://www.rae.ac.uk/results/quality...id=82&type=hei

So now you've been put in your place I can advise the Original Poster that he should e-mail or telephone and enquire and to ask if they made a genuine error or maybe in his/her particular subject area - the competition for places might have risen as more people might have applied for the same degree pathway.

This is after all what makes universities popular - the private league tables make the top 20 seem very prestigious and popular (even if in reality their actual teaching might not be up to scratch) and more people apply - thus they can ask for higher entry requirements in a particular year – this works both ways – if one year they aren’t very popular in a certain pathway – they may lower the entry requirements or be more flexible.

I can vouch for the School of Life sciences at Westminster - they have the most dedicated staff - have a very vibrant research culture and encourage undergraduate students in the school to publish as early as possible, such as getting them to conduct research and publish their final dissertation and to get involved - as explained by the Dean of the School - Professor Jane Lewis:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-6U1Jf3Mxo

ReputationRep:

d) Ask!
    So the Russell group is better than the 1994 group of which Durham is a member.
    What crap!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypocriticaljap)
    So the Russell group is better than the 1994 group of which Durham is a member.
    What crap!
    It was intended to be taken as a rough guide; these things aren't absolutes.

To take two other examples, Oxford (which is a member of the Russell Group) is better than Essex (which is a member of the 1994 group) - not crap!

ReputationRep:
    I think the last two posters to this thread probably need to read my post regarding what these groups are - they are just focus groups and lobbyists to campaign for more money and power - it is all political and doesn't really reflect on the true nature of how "good" or "bad" its member universities/colleges are. For example Million + which have members from the ex-polytechnics - now say they are a think tank to solve complex problems in Higher Education - it just seems like more political spin.

There are a growing number of universities that are not affiliated to any of these groups - such as Westminster and Aberdeen (an ancient university) - which are just getting on with things.

http://www.international.ac.uk/resources/Hefce.pdf

I would also like to know if the OP has contacted Westminster about them reconsidering or explaining their decision.

ReputationRep:

d) Ask!
    you said

The implication was unequivocal.
    And crap.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.