Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey,
    I want to take Maths A-level, but first I would like to know if it is hard. I'm predicted an A at GCSE, but I really don't know if I could cope with A-level Maths. I've got a place at a Grammar school, so that is where I will be studying Maths (hopefully).
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I found the step up from GCSE very gradual and easy. It gets progressively harder, obviously, but it's probably my easiest A level. But saying that, my others are hard so I don't really know.

If you're naturally talented at it then it'll be easy. If not, lots of hard work is required to obtain top grades.

ReputationRep:
    I got a B at GCSE, took a year out of doing maths completely and had no problems with it when I came back. Therefore, no it's not difficult if you're not a *total* idiot, you can be a partial idiot and still get a good grade :p:

ReputationRep:
    Not particularly difficult, just stick at it really and keep it all fresh in your mind, it is so much to take in though I guess, but to be honest, I haven't found any of it particularly hard once you've gotten your head around it and looked at different types of examples. Past papers are a saviour though I must say.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LittleMissCurious)
    Hey,
    I want to take Maths A-level, but first I would like to know if it is hard. I'm predicted an A at GCSE, but I really don't know if I could cope with A-level Maths. I've got a place at a Grammar school, so that is where I will be studying Maths (hopefully).
    Thanks

Do Further Maths; any idiot can do Maths.

ReputationRep:
    Its like anything, if you put the work in and you have the ability (A at gcse is great) then you will do well.

Its probably my easiest subject to revise for

ReputationRep:
    C1 is pretty easy to be fair, C2 is marginally harder, C3 is infamous for being tough as it requires more of an understanding to work out what to do, u arent spoon fed the questions as much
    S1 is just annoying, but lots of just plugging into equations

overall, maths is undoubtedly a hard A level to take, but by no means impossible as long as you do past papers..

maths is a well respected subject that involves logical thinking, therefore it is wise to consider taking this as it demonstrates to unis that you are capable of problem solving, if u get anything from a B to A* at GCSE you should be ok.

but looking back at GCSES they seem such a doddle now!!

si

hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lattywatty)
    I found the step up from GCSE very gradual and easy. It gets progressively harder, obviously, but it's probably my easiest A level.
    You're joking, right?

Well. It's difficult. I got an A* at GCSE, and managed an A at AS level Maths, but it's difficult.

Really, thinking about it, it's not too hard if you just keep at the workload, but if you're someone like me, that wonders what the things we learn are used for, then it's frustrating, as things seem pointless. xD

I found that going through the course I found it okay, a little boring and repetitive at times, but coming up to an exam I was getting frustrated as I couldn't seem to remember things - but I managed.

If you want a rewarding, challenging subject, do maths. If you don't, then don't. (:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rawr.ox)
    You're joking, right?

Well. It's difficult. I got an A* at GCSE, and managed an A at AS level Maths, but it's difficult.

Really, thinking about it, it's not too hard if you just keep at the workload, but if you're someone like me, that wonders what the things we learn are used for, then it's frustrating, as things seem pointless. xD

I found that going through the course I found it okay, a little boring and repetitive at times, but coming up to an exam I was getting frustrated as I couldn't seem to remember things - but I managed.

If you want a rewarding, challenging subject, do maths. If you don't, then don't. (:
    Well, I've only done the C1 exam so far and am about halfway through through C2 and maybe a third of the way through S1, both of which seem a bit harder but the way they teach it is really gradual in my opinion.

Obviously if you miss a lesson or something then if you don't catch up before the next lesson it'll seem much harder! We learn new things in every lesson that builds on our knowledge before so if you miss anything it can be hell.

Basically, keep on top of it and it'll be easy

ReputationRep:
    Some utter garbage written in this thread and TBH its shows the age and mentality of some people.

Is A level maths hard?
    Is running 100mtrs in 12 seconds hard?

Usain Bolt logs in, laughs and says its easy yet x% of the population would either (i) get there with some training (ii) struggle to get there (iii) never get there.

So to suggest its easy is narrow minded and comical.

Now in response to the original poster. An A grade can 'mean' lots of things

It can be a weak A mainly made up of shape and space
    It can be a very string A with great algebra skills

At the end of the day, maths is great but if you are only thinking of it, maybe there are more beneficial alternatives.

To do very well a string base of algebra on top of lots of hard work will see people in the best position to attack a level maths

ReputationRep:
    I got an A* at GCSE and did Maths A level in one year, there were people in my further maths class who had got a B at GCSE and were able to cope fine.

ReputationRep:
    its tough, but you just got to keep working at it! as they say, practice makes perfect!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 6, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.