Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I was thinking of doing Physics, Maths, Further Maths and History, but would it be more useful to do Chemistry instead of History? Would it help me when I'm doing physics at university? I think that I would probably do better in chemistry because I'm more of a science-y person than an essay one, but I enjoy History and would miss the lessons. Any help is really appreciated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by squareroot1764)
    I was thinking of doing Physics, Maths, Further Maths and History, but would it be more useful to do Chemistry instead of History? Would it help me when I'm doing physics at university? I think that I would probably do better in chemistry because I'm more of a science-y person than an essay one, but I enjoy History and would miss the lessons. Any help is really appreciated
    As long as you have maths, further maths and physics it's fine, you don't need a fourth alevel even.

ReputationRep:
    Maths, F.Maths, Physics and I'd recommend Chemistry as your 4th.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing Physics and I took Maths, Physics, Biology and English Lit - two of them completely irrelevant really, just for my own enjoyment. You'll be fine as long as you have Physics and Maths in there!

Edit: I didn't even take further maths, so that's not strictly 'necessary' - just gives you more of an edge as a candidate. Don't take maths, further maths, physics and chemistry, as you'll have much more work than you'd probably want, and won't be able to have as much fun in the next couple of years!

ReputationRep:
    Definitely Chemistry. Its a really interesting subject anyway regardless of what degree you're doing. All the Physics applicants I know also do Chemistry.

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry would probably be more useful than FM.

You should go on a few uni websites and check their entrance requirements/preferred subjects.

ReputationRep:
    I do maths, fmaths, chem and physics and they go really well together, chem and physics don't have a massive amount of overlap but I find both of them better for doing the other one.
    One thing to point out is that you can keep up an interest in history fairly well without formal teaching but in chemistry it is not so easy to do that.
    Definitely do further maths, it will really help you to become good at the maths you have to do in physics (not necessarily at a level but later on) as well as giving you loads of extra practice in maths in general.

ReputationRep:
    History imo, Chem fits better but you might regret it if you don't. I chose English Lit as my art-y / not-constantly-banging-my-head-on-my-desk subject.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Maths and Physics I'd say are the most important ones, so Maths, Further Maths and Physics are good choices, after that I'd say it doesn't really matter what your fourth choice is do History if that's what you'll enjoy. I did a variety and found everything helps in it's own way...of course taking Chemistry will have it's benefits as a science, but there are plenty of benefits to taking History aswell....you're still going to need communication skills as a science student for instance.
    If you're interested in looking at some (albeit quite basic) chemistry in a Physics context I'd recommend reading 'In Search of Schrodinger's Cat'...which is about quantum physics but the beginning incorporated quite a few things I recognised from AS Chemistry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skipp)
    Maths and Physics I'd say are the most important ones, so Maths, Further Maths and Physics are good choices, after that I'd say it doesn't really matter what your fourth choice is do History if that's what you'll enjoy. I did a variety and found everything helps in it's own way...of course taking Chemistry will have it's benefits as a science, but there are plenty of benefits to taking History aswell....you're still going to need communication skills as a science student for instance.
    If you're interested in looking at some (albeit quite basic) chemistry in a Physics context I'd recommend reading 'In Search of Schrodinger's Cat'...which is about quantum physics but the beginning incorporated quite a few things I recognised from AS Chemistry.
    I'm reading that at the moment actually :p: Do you think studying physics is easier with a knowledge of chemistry as well?

Thank you everyone for all the advice so far
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I'm reading that at the moment actually :p: Do you think studying physics is easier with a knowledge of chemistry as well?

Thank you everyone for all the advice so far
    Oh wow :p: good isn't it?
    Well I've only applied for Uni, so not sure whether it'll help or not once there, but as far as A levels go I don't think it's made much difference. I enjoyed Chemistry at GCSE and made a split second decision to take it instead of Physics at A level...and regretted it, had no interest in the subject...probably would've done alright if I'd liked it :p:
    Physics on the other hand is exciting and I'm really enjoying studying it of course everyone's different so you might actually like Chemistry, but apart from learning about moles (which might be mentioned in in search of schrodinger's cat actually, haven't read it in a while ) I don't reckon I've used anything I learnt there in physics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skipp)
    Oh wow :p: good isn't it?
    :yep: I'm really enjoying it. It's the first book that I've read that's only about physics and I love it :love:
    (Original post by skipp)
    Well I've only applied for Uni, so not sure whether it'll help or not once there, but as far as A levels go I don't think it's made much difference. I enjoyed Chemistry at GCSE and made a split second decision to take it instead of Physics at A level...and regretted it, had no interest in the subject...probably would've done alright if I'd liked it :p:
    Physics on the other hand is exciting and I'm really enjoying studying it of course everyone's different so you might actually like Chemistry, but apart from learning about moles (which might be mentioned in in search of schrodinger's cat actually, haven't read it in a while ) I don't reckon I've used anything I learnt there in physics.
    The thing I was worried about was not doing chemistry and then missing out on some useful knowledge, but I suppose I'd rather that than struggling through something I don't enjoy for two years. I'm not incredibly interested in chemistry either. It's nothing like physics :p:

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry does fit a lot better, but I don't know of any uni's that ask for it in their offers, so I'd say go for the one you enjoy the most. Further maths will be very useful for a physics degree, you'll realise that uni physics is somewhere between a level further maths and physics (at a much higher level) in my opinion!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    :yep: I'm really enjoying it. It's the first book that I've read that's only about physics and I love it :love:

The thing I was worried about was not doing chemistry and then missing out on some useful knowledge, but I suppose I'd rather that than struggling through something I don't enjoy for two years. I'm not incredibly interested in chemistry either. It's nothing like physics :p:
    I don't think that'll be the case :nah: you seem to have an interest in science outside of the classroom so you'll constantly be picking up bits of knowledge everywhere. I'm on gap year so I have the luxury of devouring the library...but a bit of reading around now and again will certainly help if doing physics in school as well :yep: If you keep that up you shouldn't miss out...especially if you have no interest in Chemistry

Also just worked out your username :p: Of course the answer was 42 :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I'm taking Physics, Maths, Further Maths and Chemistry and my twin brother is taking the same except Biology instead of Chemistry: we're both half way through A2 year and there's so far been only 1 page of the textbook that I understood because I'd taken chemistry which he didn't because he hadn't. Basically, my advice is to take whar you want - History - rather than Chemistry because they really don't overlap even though they are both science subjects which you'd expect to be similar.

But do whatever you feel's right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skipp)
    I don't think that'll be the case :nah: you seem to have an interest in science outside of the classroom so you'll constantly be picking up bits of knowledge everywhere. I'm on gap year so I have the luxury of devouring the library...but a bit of reading around now and again will certainly help if doing physics in school as well :yep: If you keep that up you shouldn't miss out...especially if you have no interest in Chemistry

Also just worked out your username :p: Of course the answer was 42 :rolleyes:
    I probably will be doing a lot of reading Thank you so much for your help!

And of course 42 is the answer to everything! :p:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I probably will be doing a lot of reading Thank you so much for your help!

And of course 42 is the answer to everything! :p:
    Yes 42 is the ultimate answer :giggle:

And no Problem, hope all goes well

ReputationRep:
    I will go for chemistry.

ReputationRep:
    From what i hear chemistry isn't that helpful for physics. As you've got maths and physics i think youll be fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cardine92)
    History imo, Chem fits better but you might regret it if you don't. I chose English Lit as my art-y / not-constantly-banging-my-head-on-my-desk subject.
    I agree with this. I do Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Enlish Lit. going to do Engineering at uni and it is nice sometimes to have a subject that doesn't, to put it nicely, make your brain melt. Having an arts subject looks good as well, shows you have broader interests and is appealing for good unis.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.