The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

They are really good choices, I do Eng Lit, History and Maths and like them all (if you can enjoy maths). History, Eng lit and French compliment each other well and then having maths adds in a nice contrast. If you think you'll be good at them and enjoy them then go for it :biggrin:
Reply 2
Yes.
Reply 3
Then why aren't you doing an A level in law? Any of those would be good 'secondary' subjects for law i think. They're just generally well respected subjects.
Reply 4
Sound like strong choices, my brother's taking similar subjects and also hopes to go in to Law :yep:

Just in case you're interested:

Tsr wiki page on Law:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Law

List of UCAS Law courses
http://search.ucas.com/cgi-bin/hsrun/search/search/StateId/DpdRgGymjv3Ix-dJbVBApxRHTGCoA-UL7K/HAHTpage/search.HsSearch.submitForm?txtSubject=Law&cmbQual=&cmbAttend=&cmbInst=&button1.x=53&button1.y=9

Although you probably won't need to think about UCAS for a while :yep:
Reply 5
Wardy23
Then why aren't you doing an A level in law? Any of those would be good 'secondary' subjects for law i think. They're just generally well respected subjects.

The general consensus is actually not to do Law A-Level if you want to do a Law degree...a lot of places prefer if you don't :yep:
Reply 6
skipp
The general consensus is actually not to do Law A-Level if you want to do a Law degree...a lot of places prefer if you don't :yep:

Really? Why is that?
yes. this is always a good guide

http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/index.php?pageid=604
Reply 8
Wardy23

Many of the top Law schools have 'black-listed' Law A-Level and tend to favour the more traditional subjects. I think the choices that the OP has made are good and they offer a good combination. I had a similar combination when i had planned to study Law but then i decided to study Economics. My choices were Maths, Economics French and English Literature
Wardy23
Really? Why is that?

they see it as a waste of an option. and would prefer you to do something usefull instead
Reply 10
vv
Reply 11
Wardy23
Really? Why is that?

Well as others have mentioned it's not really relevant to the Law degree, and I think Law schools found they were having to reteach students who'd taken the Law A level...they'd rather teach them the right way of doing things the first time round :dontknow:
Reply 12
skipp
Well as others have mentioned it's not really relevant to the Law degree, and I think Law schools found they were having to reteach students who'd taken the Law A level...they'd rather teach them the right way of doing things the first time round :dontknow:

Oh i see. Now i know that. :-) Cheers
letsdothetimewarpagain
They are really good choices, I do Eng Lit, History and Maths and like them all (if you can enjoy maths). History, Eng lit and French compliment each other well and then having maths adds in a nice contrast. If you think you'll be good at them and enjoy them then go for it :biggrin:

that is basically what im thinking of doing for a levels (except maths is going to be a science i think), but i was just wondering... do you have loads of essays? i know that sounds really stupid, and obviously you would because they're essay writing subjects, but some people have said that those three together might be too much. just wondering how it actually is because im guessing that if i enjoy it then its fine right?
Reply 14
Wardy23

You don't need Law to study Law. The courses she has chosen are much better.
<3 inbetweener D
that is basically what im thinking of doing for a levels (except maths is going to be a science i think), but i was just wondering... do you have loads of essays? i know that sounds really stupid, and obviously you would because they're essay writing subjects, but some people have said that those three together might be too much. just wondering how it actually is because im guessing that if i enjoy it then its fine right?

For Eng lit I get an essay every couple of weeks, and History there are more, but they tend to be a lot shorter than Eng Lit ones. I have a friend doing French and she doesn't seem to get too many essays, but there's lots of vocab learning. She does all three, whereas I do just Eng Lit and History and it is definitely doable :biggrin:
<3 inbetweener D

Well I do Politics instead of History but from my friends who do both, the essay amount is very similar. I wouldn't say it was too much essay-wise at all to take those three together, French especially doesn't have a lot of essays (and they are considerably shorter than others) Yes. Take what you enjoy.
Wardy23
Stupid retard, UNIS HATE A LEVEL LAW FOR A DEGREE IN LAW!! You are giving this guy poor advice!! I know someone who did A level law and had difficulty getting into a Law school because of it! Get yoru facts right before you give advice!
Reply 18
kevin_123
Stupid retard, UNIS HATE A LEVEL LAW FOR A DEGREE IN LAW!! You are giving this guy poor advice!! I know someone who did A level law and had difficulty getting into a Law school because of it! Get yoru facts right before you give advice!

I had 4 or 5 people answer this before you in an intelligent way...then you come out with that ****. If you read the thread you might notice I stood corrected when they explained why someone might want to avoid doing A level law. But reading a thread of such mind boggling length would probably be too much to ask.
Wardy23
I had 4 or 5 people answer this before you in an intelligent way...then you come out with that ****. If you read the thread you might notice I stood corrected when they explained why someone might want to avoid doing A level law. But reading a thread of such mind boggling length would probably be too much to ask.
yeah it would, because if other people didn't correct you and this guy ended up doing A-level Law then not being able to get into a UNI, he would be screwed, because of some stupid know-it-all on TSR..

Latest