Turn on thread page Beta

tearful and homesick watch

Announcements

hi,

i've had a really good week at uni but all of a sudden i'm feeling really homesick. i've just talked to both my parents and i'm really really missing home. i'm just really stressed at the moment, i'v e got lots of work on nd i'm stressing about houses for next year - i've got myself some housemates but i dont feel i know them very well (although we are in the same social circle) as i dont currently live with them. im currently in my room and i cant stop crying, i dont know whats making me feel this way, i really thought i was settled into uni even though i dont have that many friends and stuff...

any tips to help me snap out of it?

thanks

ReputationRep:
    How far away from home is your Uni? Maybe a trip home would be a good idea if you can spare it. Or you could ask your parents to come and visit you?

(Original post by Gemma_08)
    How far away from home is your Uni? Maybe a trip home would be a good idea if you can spare it. Or you could ask your parents to come and visit you?
    im from london and go to uni in edinburgh... i've got a visit home planned next month but it seems an awfully long way away. i dont think my parents can really afford to come and visit me.

ReputationRep:
    yeah i agree with gemma or get skype/msn and chat on web cam with them?

failing that try to occupy your mind, work out, read a book, play a computer game/DS/PS3 etc, have a bath, watch a film etc etc etc

ReputationRep:
    Huh, that is pretty far. I don't go to Uni atm, but I do get homesick a lot. The way I deal with it is, ring home - but not too often. (If you call too much you'll miss it even more)
    I also try and find other things to do to keep my mind from home, like go for a walk, study, read or watch a film. These things usually cheer me up
    I hope you feel better soon anyway, and you have a trip home to look forward to which is really awesome.

ReputationRep:
    You poor thing. It seems to me that this is just a small moment of feeling this way. Am I right in thinking that you've done almost a year at uni? Have you felt ok up to now?
    At uni, first year friendships are quickly-formed and can seem a bit empty in retrospect and upon having to make a living commitment.
    Do something that comforts you and makes you happy. I think the best idea for tonight would be to have a nice long shower, listen to some up beat music and go out with your friends.

You will get to know them better and you may find a couple with become life-long friends. Once you know them better and get settled in to Edinburgh, you'll feel a lot happier.

Also, if you're desperate to go home go onto thetrainline.com and book a ticket home for a couple of weeks time; they're much cheaper, you wont have to do the 10-hour coach journey and it'll give you something to look forward to

ReputationRep:
    Only a few weeks and Uni is over...

ReputationRep:
    :hugs: Aw, I really feel for you 'cause I know exactly how you feel! That was actually one of the biggest reasons as to why I didn't choose to go to Glasgow for uni in the end, funnily enough. Scotland's a long old trek, eh?

I think a lot of people are feeling like this (more than you probably realise) after Christmas. It's weird going back to normality at home, and then coming back to university again. Some of my flatmates have been saying how much more settled they feel this term, but I've felt exactly the opposite!

The best thing I can suggest is to just try and distract yourself. Pamper yourself a bit, spend time alone if you need it watching rubbish and eating chocolate, but don't isolate yourself too much or you'll only feel worse. If you've got a trip home planned then at least you've got that to look forward to, and remember your family are only on the end of the phone. I know it feels horrible, but remember they're still there and they still love ya! Nothing changes just because you're further up north.

Ultimately, it's probably a good thing that you can't just run home (as much as you may feel like it..) because that really doesn't make things easier. I'm only an hour or so away from home so it's been easy for me when it's all got a bit much, but you actually do end up feeling worse when you come back again!

Are you otherwise settled at uni though? Is there anyone you can talk to there about it? Sometimes it helps just to know you're not alone. I hope you feel better soon.

(Original post by raisin.)
    Are you otherwise settled at uni though? Is there anyone you can talk to there about it? Sometimes it helps just to know you're not alone. I hope you feel better soon.
    i don't really know whether i'm settled. i sometimes feel really happy and settled and other times i just feel like "what the hell am i doing here" and want to go home. partially the reason is that i dont have any friends in my halls, all the friends i've made are outside my halls so i dont really have 24/7 contact with anyone, which i know is one of the main things in securing friendships an dstuff. i do try not to isolate myself but im not the biggest party animal (i go out once, maybe twice a week) and would much rather have people who i can just stay in and watch movies and stuff with, but because of lack of friends in halls i cant really do that. and i agree, scotland IS a big old trek!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    i don't really know whether i'm settled. i sometimes feel really happy and settled and other times i just feel like "what the hell am i doing here" and want to go home. partially the reason is that i dont have any friends in my halls, all the friends i've made are outside my halls so i dont really have 24/7 contact with anyone, which i know is one of the main things in securing friendships an dstuff. i do try not to isolate myself but im not the biggest party animal (i go out once, maybe twice a week) and would much rather have people who i can just stay in and watch movies and stuff with, but because of lack of friends in halls i cant really do that. and i agree, scotland IS a big old trek!!
    You sound quite like me actually. I like going out sometimes, but equally I like quiet nights in and a good old gossip. I'm pretty extreme actually - I'm either out and crazy or at home behaving like a granny! :p:

Seriously though, there's nothing wrong with that. I know how you feel about not having friends in your halls too, but at least you have them elsewhere! Can you not go round to theirs in the evening, or invite them over to yours? I think it's a myth that you 'have' to have friends in halls in order to make proper friendships - lots of people meet plenty of people on their course/in socieities/on the bus/in town. As long as you're yourself and don't worry too much, you should be fine!

ReputationRep:
    Have you tried writing home and to other friends? It is a great way to keep your mind occupied, and get out all the feelings that build up when you are away, plus its nice to get some friendly post when they write back

ReputationRep:
    Phoning home is going to bring all those feelings to the surface. Also if you're at all tired that'll bring on the tears much more easily. It would be good to try and make friends in your halls. Why not put a 'free cake in room xx' sign in the communal kitchen or similar? Try and leave your door propped open when you're in your room and make a point of saying 'hi' if someone goes past. Or go knock on neighbouring doors NOW to borrow some sellotape. Then you'll find out who else is in on a Friday night and can invite them to join you for a drink/cup of tea etc

ReputationRep:
    Two words have never let me down: chin up.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 5, 2010
Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.