Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Dropped out - how much do I have to pay back now? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I degraded (left with the option to go back next year) from Uni just before Christmas. I'm pretty sure I'll be going back to a different Uni, but because I havn't actually dropped out of the first one yet, they havn't told Student Finance that I dropped out. So I got my loan for the second term.

I want to be able to go on Job Seekers untill I find a job, but can't until I stop getting support from SF so I need to ring up and tell them.

Does anyone know what I'll have to pay back now? All of my maintainence and tution fee loans?

I have two friends who have done similar things, one had to pay back a little bit and one had to pay back loads. Are there rules which I can apply to work out how much I will have to pay back now, and how much can wait untill after graduation like the rest of my debt?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    You'll have to pay back everything covering the period from January onwards, most likely.

The situation is that if you've not had time to spend it (not been at university since it was given), you should be able to return it. You'll probably have the Sept-Jan payments kept on as normal student debt, to be repaid as and when you earn over £15k.

Of course, circumstances MIGHT differ for you, so don't hold me to it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.