Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hi,
    I have got an interview for a pgce on the mathematics course at swansea!

Has any one had an interview for this and got any tips?

In their letter they were very vague about what the interview will construct of so does any1 know if i will have to present anything to a group, isit a group interview or a one on one? any help would be great as i have no clue what to expect?

also what sort of questions will i be asked?

thanks
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I could give you a massive list of potential questions but it would probably be better for you to think through what they might ask. Post your list of things you think you might be asked and I will add some more to it.

ReputationRep:
    i believe they might ask something along the lines of

Why i want to teach?
    Why i have chosen this subject?
    Why i have chosen this age to teach?
    Why do i believe i would be a good teacher?

Do you think i will have a group or individual interview and what else can i expect to do except answer questions, do you know?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by exeter845)
    i believe they might ask something along the lines of

Why i want to teach?
    Why i have chosen this subject?
    Why i have chosen this age to teach?
    Why do i believe i would be a good teacher?

Do you think i will have a group or individual interview and what else can i expect to do except answer questions, do you know?
    I think you will get all four of those questions. Make sure you have excellent answers to each.

You will probably have to participate in a group discussion (make sure you contribute but do not try to dominate) and an individual interview with the course tutor and possibly a teacher from a partnership school.

You might have a written test (compose a few paragraphs on your favourite area of mathematics or a teacher who inspired you or something like that) - they are checking your grammar and spelling is acceptable.

If you have school experience, you can expect to be quizzed about that.

Here are some questions for you to consider. You can answer them if you like!

What do you know of recent developments in mathematics education? Are there any changes in the pipeline?

Does anything worry you about training to teach?

Where do you see yourself in five years' time?

Where do you see yourself in ten years' time?

A child in your tutor group discloses to you that her father hit her. What would you say/do?

Describe the role of a teacher.

Describe the role of a mathematics teacher.

Do you believe all children should study mathematics up to age 16? If so, why? What about post 16?

A child asks "What is the point of learning algebra? My dad says it is a waste of time as no normal people use algebra in their jobs." How do you reply?

I walk into your classroom and you are teaching a lesson. What might I see?

ReputationRep:
    Out of interest, how did the interview go for you? I have applied to do my maths PGCE (Well waiting on my referee) with Swansea being my first choice. I hope I haven't left it too late as I noticed UWIC have already filled their spaces.

How did you find the interview, what tips would you give now that you have done it?

Regards Tom

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.