Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I read a thread on here and it said that ot become a plastic surgeon takes twenty years after A-Level, surely this isn't true? And how long time does it take to become a "normal" surgeon, like heart surgeon or spine surgeon?

ReputationRep:
    20 years to become a consultant surgeon doesn't sound that unlikely, tbh, especially with the new training system.

5 years medical school, 2 years foundation training, 2 years core surgical training, 5-7 years subspecialty training - that's at least 14 if you get every job first time and don't take time out for a PhD/family/whatever. And then you'll only be a "junior consultant" and God only knows what that will actually mean...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kevin_123)
    I read a thread on here and it said that ot become a plastic surgeon takes twenty years after A-Level, surely this isn't true? And how long time does it take to become a "normal" surgeon, like heart surgeon or spine surgeon?
    Don't forget though that the 'journey' to becoming a surgeon (or a consultant in any specialty for that matter) will be some of the most interesting and enjoyable years of your life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex D)
    Don't forget though that the 'journey' to becoming a surgeon (or a consultant in any specialty for that matter) will be some of the most interesting and enjoyable years of your life.
    Hell no. The most interesting years of your life will be the days when you are retired and sitting in the drawing room of the Oxford and Cambridge Club, pipe in hand and smoking jacket on chair, talking about how the country is going to the dogs before possibly going for a game of bridge.

God, some people know nothing. :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    yeah but you are still earning throughout the years so its just like any job really no one becomes CEO immediately

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phalanges)
    Hell no. The most interesting years of your life will be the days when you are retired and sitting in the drawing room of the Oxford and Cambridge Club, pipe in hand and smoking jacket on chair, talking about how the country is going to the dogs before possibly going for a game of bridge.

God, some people know nothing. :holmes:
    Limited time though after retirement, I can remember someone mentioning that a large proportion of doctors cark it 2 years after retirement :yikes: Although that could equally be ********

ReputationRep:
    that's why you go into finance and hope you get lucky

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex D)
    Limited time though after retirement, I can remember someone mentioning that a large proportion of doctors cark it 2 years after retirement :yikes: Although that could equally be ********
    Quantity ≠ Quality.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think 20 years is that unlikely an estimate (it's probably more like 17,5), that means you'd be fully qualified surgeon at 38 in one of the most competitive specialties. It's way more likely you'll never get there. There are 9 ST3 training posts in plastic surgery for the whole of UK. Good luck ;P .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnonymousPenguin)
    It's way more likely you'll never get there.
    I ******* love your optimism :shot:

ReputationRep:
    that's got to be fibs, the other night I saw a reality tv show about skin cancer with one of them from the girls aloud group, and in it was an east asian plastic surgeon that looked about 25.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trouser Snake)
    that's got to be fibs, the other night I saw a reality tv show about skin cancer with one of them from the girls aloud group, and in it was an east asian plastic surgeon that looked about 25.
    Maybe he operates on himself during his free time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    20 years to become a consultant surgeon doesn't sound that unlikely, tbh, especially with the new training system.

5 years medical school, 2 years foundation training, 2 years core surgical training, 5-7 years subspecialty training - that's at least 14 if you get every job first time and don't take time out for a PhD/family/whatever. And then you'll only be a "junior consultant" and God only knows what that will actually mean...
    That's pretty crazy. I mean, to take that long to become a not even a full consultant makes you think that med school finals seem basic! Either that or consultancy is really, really, really detailed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phalanges)

God, some people know nothing.
    If anything would be the Oriental or the EI...although reciprocal memberships...

OP, as for mapping out a career, there are more things in heaven and earth Horatio...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Woody.)
    That's pretty crazy. I mean, to take that long to become a not even a full consultant makes you think that med school finals seem basic! Either that or consultancy is really, really, really detailed.
    The way it was put to me by the consultant on my work exp was that essentially when you apply for the consultancy training schemes you're competing alongside people who have done the same as you if not more (research, teaching, experience etc) for a tiny tiny number of positions (similar to med school admissions I guess :P). So if you want to become a consultant then you're going to have to be working on your CV constantly from graduation onwards really to stand a chance of comparison.
    Furthermore, a very very small number of the intake will actually graduate the course and be consultants after all the series of exams (which you pay for).
    but yeah, earliest you could be a consultant realistically is like 32/33 if you really go for it. Thats when the consultant that I talked to did it

ReputationRep:
    How many pointless threads are you going to innudate TSR with today :rolleyes: ?

This must be the 5th or 6th I've seen, and like the rest - seemingly has very little point to it.

Beware the :troll:...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chivalry)
    The way it was put to me by the consultant on my work exp was that essentially when you apply for the consultancy training schemes you're competing alongside people who have done the same as you if not more (research, teaching, experience etc) for a tiny tiny number of positions (similar to med school admissions I guess :P). So if you want to become a consultant then you're going to have to be working on your CV constantly from graduation onwards really to stand a chance of comparison.
    Furthermore, a very very small number of the intake will actually graduate the course and be consultants after all the series of exams (which you pay for).
    but yeah, earliest you could be a consultant realistically is like 32/33 if you really go for it. Thats when the consultant that I talked to did it
    Thanks for explaining. I am really not up for that, not at all. Makes me want to follow my initial desire of the GP route all the more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Woody.)
    Thanks for explaining. I am really not up for that, not at all. Makes me want to follow my initial desire of the GP route all the more.
    Hmmm. GP isn't actually that uncompetitive any more, at least in the popular deaneries. There are a lot of hospital specialties that are a lot less competitive in terms of applicants per CT1/ST1 post. The old notion that if you 'fell off the ladder' you became a GP couldn't be less true now. Plus the training is only a few years shorter than most speciality training - and the RCGP want to make it longer.

DOI: Not actually a medic - just married to one who is waiting on a CMT offer/rejection in a very over-subscribed deanery.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mja)
    Hmmm. GP isn't actually that uncompetitive any more, at least in the popular deaneries. There are a lot of hospital specialties that are a lot less competitive in terms of applicants per CT1/ST1 post. The old notion that if you 'fell off the ladder' you became a GP couldn't be less true now. Plus the training is only a few years shorter than most speciality training - and the RCGP want to make it longer.

DOI: Not actually a medic - just married to one who is waiting on a CMT offer/rejection in a very over-subscribed deanery.
    Yeah, I just don't particularly fancy 9 years more training in surgery (which doesn't particularly appeal to me) having spent 7 years of bloody hard work anyway. Currently, I feel I much, much prefer the GP environment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Choccielatte)
    How many pointless threads are you going to innudate TSR with today :rolleyes: ?

This must be the 5th or 6th I've seen, and like the rest - seemingly has very little point to it.

Beware the :troll:...
    What? This is my second thread today and the reason I am made TWO threads was because I have to choose A-Levels pretty soon and I was surprised when I came across a post that said it takes twenty years.. How can it have very little point? I'm considering medicine, possibly becoming a surgeon..

Maybe you should look up the definition of a troll, a troll would make a thread along the lines of "Hay guys, why r black people superior to asians k thx bay"

...ANYway..

I thought it would be around ten years.. if it takes twenty years that means I'll be 38.. I mean.. what if I die at the age of 38? I would of spent all my life studying for a career, then I die before I even get to do it..

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 6, 2010

University open days

1. Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Days Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  2. University of Sunderland
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  3. Plymouth College of Art
    All MA Programmes Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.