Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kevin_123)
    What? This is my second thread today and the reason I am made TWO threads was because I have to choose A-Levels pretty soon and I was surprised when I came across a post that said it takes twenty years.. How can it have very little point? I'm considering medicine, possibly becoming a surgeon..

Maybe you should look up the definition of a troll, a troll would make a thread along the lines of "Hay guys, why r black people superior to asians k thx bay"

...ANYway..

I thought it would be around ten years.. if it takes twenty years that means I'll be 38.. I mean.. what if I die at the age of 38? I would of spent all my life studying for a career, then I die before I even get to do it..
    Having a career means progression throught the ranks not just going stright in at the top.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kevin_123)
    I thought it would be around ten years.. if it takes twenty years that means I'll be 38.. I mean.. what if I die at the age of 38? I would of spent all my life studying for a career, then I die before I even get to do it..
    As has already been said, its not as if you aren't earning or working as a qualified professional during the majority of these 20 years. For a lot of those 20 years you would be observing or performing surgery, just not fully trained.

In any other profession you don't reach the top instantly and it could take 20 years to climb the ladder, yet because its not termed a period of further "training" or "learning" then people see it differently. Really its not.

If you're that serious about a career then you should be excited about the training!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wangers)
    If anything would be the Oriental or the EI...although reciprocal memberships...

OP, as for mapping out a career, there are more things in heaven and earth Horatio...
    Nice use of Hamlet :grin:

ReputationRep:
    sorry OP no boobs for you to fonlde with yet

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matt7)
    As has already been said, its not as if you aren't earning or working as a qualified professional during the majority of these 20 years. For a lot of those 20 years you would be observing or performing surgery, just not fully trained.

In any other profession you don't reach the top instantly and it could take 20 years to climb the ladder, yet because its not termed a period of further "training" or "learning" then people see it differently. Really its not.

If you're that serious about a career then you should be excited about the training!
    I am but it just seems like a lot but I guess when you put it that way (Still get paid, still working, just not completely qualified) it sounds better.. it's not like you're doing twenty years of "traditional" studying and revising for "exams"...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emanuel_arsenalfc)
    sorry OP no boobs for you to fonlde with yet
    If I wanted to fondle with some boobs I'd go find some whore on the street, not spend twenty years of academic and medical training to "fondle with some boobs" :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex D)
    I ******* love your optimism :shot:
    I'm just being realistic. It's pretty suicidal going down 9 years of education and training thinking you'll be one of those 9. There's plenty of other opportunities, but thinking you'll be a plastic surgeon is a bit like thinking you'll be a CEO of big company when you start uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnonymousPenguin)
    I'm just being realistic. It's pretty suicidal going down 9 years of education and training thinking you'll be one of those 9. There's plenty of other opportunities, but thinking you'll be a plastic surgeon is a bit like thinking you'll be a CEO of big company when you start uni.
    I definitely see your point and 9 training places is a formidable statistic. However, you can be just as likely to be one of those 9 as anyone else

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.