Turn on thread page Beta

hello,

well im at college at the moment but going to uni in September.

when first starting uni, how did you meet your friends? did you just start to talk to everyone in your classes or did you go places and find people?

ReputationRep:
    Bit of everything. You'll meet people in your classes, there'll be lots of events organised that you can go along to, you'll join clubs. In the first term of uni everyone talks to everyone - it's not strange to just start talking to people next to you as everyone's in the same boat!

If you live in halls then obviously you make friends with the people you live with as well

ReputationRep:
    The way i made friends (and im sure how many people will) is by making a few good friends during the first couple of week. this may sound like the opposite of what everyone tells you, but these few good friends will also have made a few good friends that you havent made. over the term you meet these people and you become friends with them as well. over time, your friendship groups grow and grow and you will have lots of friends!

ReputationRep:
    i just seemed to meet random people and get talking to them, meet up again and sometimes you just click with them dont worry, everyone is in the same boat and u will make friends x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    hello,

well im at college at the moment but going to uni in September.

when first starting uni, how did you meet your friends? did you just start to talk to everyone in your classes or did you go places and find people?
    From what I've heard, flatmates seem to be most peoples first friends, as you live with them so your likely to see a lot of them. If your not living in halls then joining a society could be a great way to make friends as some of them organise socials.

ReputationRep:
    Be easy around people, they will like being around you.

ReputationRep:
    FRESHERS' WEEK!!! FTW

sorry, just had to get that off my chest.

so yeh, basically that sums it up lol. You'll meet people on your course obviously, but also in your halls or wherever you live (unless like me you commute )

but I've made a few friends from freshers' welcome party and the nights out during that first week. Loads of people have no idea what to do, so just get talking. Find anyone who looks interesting and ask what they're studying, where they're living, what they like doing. It's easy to get conversations going. and alcohol is a big social amplifier.

ReputationRep:
    i conversate with people very fine

i'll be living at home.

would this be ok? do many people who go to uni generally stay there because of the freedom etc? will i find people who take the train / bus or is there a less chance.

ReputationRep:
    Freshers week. Meet so many new people.

Also people around halls.

And for me most of my friends are from the football team.

ReputationRep:
    I offered free sexy time - now, not only do I have oodles of friends, but I also have straight A grades thanks to a lecturer friend of mine :awesome:

Seriously though, just talk to people - you'll all be in the same predicament after all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    i'll be living at home.

would this be ok? do many people who go to uni generally stay there because of the freedom etc? will i find people who take the train / bus or is there a less chance.
    im sure it must be harder making friends if you live at home but it wont be impossible, i only know one girl living from home but she seems to handle it well

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 6, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.