Turn on thread page Beta

Right, so its that time of year again when I need to decide where I'll be living next year at uni. I'm in my second year and so is my friend (I'm male, she's female)

I'm currently single, but she has a boyfriend back at home (who is at another uni). I quite like her, but nothing has ever happened between us.

Anyway, she has no-where to live next year and neither do I. Everytime I see her (everyday for last 2 weeks), she keeps asking me if I've found anywhere to live next year. She also keeps saying that if she doesn't find people to share with soon, she will have to share with strangers.

Now, I feel like she is trying to tell me something here. I assume that she wants to live with me next year, otherwise she wouldn't keep going on about it.

But, we wouldn't have anyone else to share with so it would just be the two of us in a two bedroom place.

My question is, does this sound weird? Would people start talking? And what would her boyfriend think of this?

It seems like the right thing to do. We're always chatting to each other and as we're both doing the same course, we meet up a lot to help each other with work anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I can't see any problem with this myself, except perhaps a lack of 2 bed student flats?

ReputationRep:
    My first thought would be how awkward it might be if you got together and it didn't work out? Would you be able to get through it and be civil on the other side?
    It would probably be best if you did decide to live together to be strictly friends. If you can cope with that, then go for it.
    If you think it would be tricky to... restrain your feelings, then perhaps do your best to find an alternative. Or other people that wouldn't mind sharing - might filter the situation with other people around.
    Good luck whatever you decide
    X
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I'll be amazed if you can find a 2 bed student flat since we are already in February.

ReputationRep:
    I don't see a massive problem with it to be honest - you both know where the boundaries are and if her boyfriend is okay with it as well you shouldn't have too many issues. To be honest, the only people I know how lived as a pair ended up hating each other as you get caught up in all the little annoyances of sharing a house and have no one to rant to.

Could you not team up and post an ad somewhere to see if there was another two or three people living as friends that would perhaps like to be in a bigger house/ more sociable environment? I think some student unions have places where you can do this, stating what kind of people you are ie. whether you have crazy parties or prefer quiet nights in and can put you with like-minded people. This way, whislt they're still technically strangers, you will probably get along and living with strangers as a pair will be less intimidating and takes the pressure off forcing relationships with your new housemates.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 5, 2010

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.