Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I really have no ideas what to do for my EPQ project. All i know is I wan't to do something in medicine. I'm also taking geog. german and bisness stud. I thought about maybe doing medicine from the middle ages and comparing to now....but i think this might be a bit boring. so please please please i really need some help. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Behiieee)
    I really have no ideas what to do for my EPQ project. All i know is I wan't to do something in medicine. I'm also taking geog. german and bisness stud. I thought about maybe doing medicine from the middle ages and comparing to now....but i think this might be a bit boring. so please please please i really need some help. :confused:
    Perhaps you could investigate the power of the drug companies in America, and how they have lobbied politicians for favourable deals.

ReputationRep:
    i can see where you are coming from with this and i think it would be a great subject to do but im absoloutly clueless when it comes to politics

ReputationRep:
    i can see where you are coming from with this and i think it would be a great subject to do but im absoloutly clueless when it comes to politics
    Ok, maybe you could investigate the origins of the NHS. What are the benefits of having a system which is paid through higher taxes and what are the current issues today (for example certain drugs are not offered through the NHS).

ReputationRep:
    Maybe you could have a look at some of the medicines from the middle ages that actually worked. You could talk about the medicine itself then its mechanism of action and why it worked.

ReputationRep:
    My idea is don't do it.
    Waste of your time, means nothing when applying for medicine. Your offer wont be based on it and it will just take away time from sudying for the subjects you need to do well in.

Unis see it as general studies i.e. not a "good" qualification

I regret taking it completely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jazzyyazzy6)
    My idea is don't do it.
    Waste of your time, means nothing when applying for medicine. Your offer wont be based on it and it will just take away time from sudying for the subjects you need to do well in.

Wow, I would love to see the source that you got that from, even on Cambridge's site (look for it) they say that the EPQ is desirable because it demonstrates skills that are needed at university ie. independent research, initiative...

ReputationRep:
    My idea is don't do it.

Tbh, I'd love to have done a project on historical medicine at A Level, because even if it didn't count for anything I'd have found it really interesting.

By the way, what's an EPQ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oreo)
    The EPQ stands for the Extended Project Qualification. Its basically a research project on any topic you want. You have to find an area of interest, research it, use sources etc, and produce something like a report. However, it doesn't have to be a report, it could be a video, a painting, anything really. You get supervised, but essentially its all up to you. I was actually thinking of doing something on historical medicine, but decided against it when I came up with something else Its actually been really worthwhile, mentioned it in interviews a few times :yep: Oh yeah, it counts as half an A level and you can get an A* in it apparently.
    :eek: That sounds awesome! Wish I'd been able to do something like that. :sad:

Hmmm, I'd do mine on either medicine through the renaissance or a daring exposé on Matthias Rath.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phalanges)
    :eek: That sounds awesome! Wish I'd been able to do something like that. :sad:

Hmmm, I'd do mine on either medicine through the renaissance or a daring exposé on Matthias Rath.
    I wish I could've done this last year too :rolleyes:

Anyway, some topics off the top of my head:

-comparing the NHS to other healthcare systems (e.g. USA, Scandinavia etc.)
    -how the emphasis of medicine has changed in the last 100-150 years from treating symptoms to prevention of disease
    -major flu pandemics (e.g. Spanish flu, Hong Kong flu, Bird flu, swine flu)
    -the challenges in diagnosis and treatment of children with special needs
    -even something like assisted suicide and euthanasia
    -differences in medical education between different countries
    -Chinese Medicine

Edit: I reckon medicine through the middle ages is a brilliant topic...you could talk about Avicenna and The Canon of Medicine and so forth

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by themedicalgeek)
    Wow, I would love to see the source that you got that from, even on Cambridge's site (look for it) they say that the EPQ is desirable because it demonstrates skills that are needed at university ie. independent research, initiative...
    My supervisor for my EPQ

Didn't really help me a lot. Didn't even mention it in fact.

Have you got a place at cambridge, may I ask?

I'd advise anyone thinkin og Oxbridge to dedicate their year to gettin 90%+ in their AS modules and getting the right grades. Only do EPQ if you do it for your own interest. There are MUCH more desirable things you can do.

ReputationRep:
    My supervisor for my EPQ

I'd advise anyone thinkin og Oxbridge to dedicate their year to gettin 90%+ in their AS modules and getting the right grades. Only do EPQ if you do it for your own interest. There are MUCH more desirable things you can do.
    The fact that it doesn't help you a lot does not mean it is a waste of your time.

ReputationRep:
    The fact that it doesn't help you a lot does not mean it is a waste of your time.
    I later said that you should do it if its a personal interest. However, if people are using it to further their uni applications, I'm just letting them know where it leaves them.

Don't wanna start any arguements, however much people on here seem to love to do so.

ReputationRep:
    I later said that you should do it if its a personal interest. However, if people are using it to further their uni applications, I'm just letting them know where it leaves them.

Don't wanna start any arguements, however much people on here seem to love to do so.
    To be perfectly honest, I'm amazed that you can write that you don't want to start any arguments when just a post earlier you asked in a clearly inflammatory tone "Have you got a place at cambridge, may I ask?".

Although you might just act arrogantly and derisively without realising it, in which case fair enough.

ReputationRep:
    To be perfectly honest, I'm amazed that you can write that you don't want to start any arguments when just a post earlier you asked in a clearly inflammatory tone "Have you got a place at cambridge, may I ask?".

Although you might just act arrogantly and derisively without realising it, in which case fair enough.
    I just get sick of people talking about things they aren't in the position to pretend they know eveything about.

ReputationRep:
    anyone got any ideas on what question i should base my epq on i want to do it on medicine was thinking neonate doctors or nurses

ReputationRep:
    My supervisor for my EPQ

Hi, I think some other forum members took care of the argument aspect of your reply, so I will ignore that. I do not have a place at cambridge, but that doesn't mean that I can't read a webpage and listen to many other people saying how the EPQ has benefited them. You can use your research to initiate a conversation at interview or even answer a question. I do agree however that it is a good personal project.

Where you say there are more desirable things to do, we are all students here. Why don't you share some points?:yep:

ReputationRep:
    hey guys which of these do you think i should do.........Havn't quite decieded on angles yet but either World media type thing or age discrimination into which i will link in the way teeanagers are portrayed in the media kinda thing

ReputationRep:
    My supervisor for my EPQ

Yes but what about the people who are on course on getting 90% at AS levels and what to further prove their academic potential to Oxbridge? What other desirable things is there to do for someone who attained 90%+ at AS to show their academic ability? become head boy ? editor of their 6th magazine ? volunteering work ? I am sure all these wonderful extra-activities are welcomed, but surely Oxbridge would lean towards 90% AS > top EPQ > random or subject relevant extra-activities

ReputationRep:
    hey guys which of these do you think i should do.........Havn't quite decieded on angles yet but either World media type thing or age discrimination into which i will link in the way teeanagers are portrayed in the media kinda thing
    World media. You could spend it exclusively talking about the MMR mis-handling by the newspapers and there'd still be more than enough information to get to marks on.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 14, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.