Turn on thread page Beta

Should I take this permanent job while on a gap year? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm on a gap year currently (maybe two years, but unlikely).
    I've been applying to a lot of jobs recently (nearly 100 since Christmas) and have had two interviews so far, with another interview on Monday. Quite a few applications only now being considered (because of recent closing dates).

I was offered a 'legal assistant' position with a group of solicitors in Doncaster today and need to reply by the end of next week.

At the interview, they made clear that they want candidates who can commit, because of training periods etc.
    I also said that I was unsure of future plans and that although I would go to university at some point, it would probably be autumn 2011. They don't know that I have already applied - only one of the five choices is for deferred entry.

I've been advised by quite a few people (including recruitment agents) not to mention being on a gap year (unless it's a temporary position - and in my last temporary job I was told by the manager that he would have kept me on if I wasn't on a gap year, and he's not the type to just say that to make me feel good) so I don't mention it, but university always comes because I have good grades on my CV (and only two previous employers).

The other interview I've had so far was disappointing, in terms of what I learnt about the role - it's more outbound that inbound customer service/selling. It's also much further away.

Another interview next week and hopefully some more after that, but should I take this job?

In the autumn, I applied for so, so many before I got one, but that was my first.

(I don't know about pay, I didn't ask and it wasn't mentioned. The advert just said that it exceeds NMW depending on experience).

ReputationRep:
    I'd take it. It's a recession and there's still a chance you could be around for a while. However, if you're going to be committing to a lot of training perhaps you might want to think from your point of view - is that something you want to jump into when you really want a temp job?

ReputationRep:
    Go for it if there's nothing in the contract to say you have to repay training costs if you leave before next September.

ReputationRep:
    ^^ Ditto.. I think that kind of a job would be very interesting, not something that comes around very often. Make sure there would be no problem for you if you'd quit in September/October, and then see where it takes you.. What are you planning on studying at uni?? (Oh, and you can always defer your other uni choices when you get replies.. )
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    If you want to do it, take it. You can just say when you leave that you have been given the chance to start uni this year instead.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.