Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AJWB)
    Does anyone know what Benjamin Russell Court is like? It looks pretty old from the outside, but I like where it is in relation to the campus.
    i dont know much about it apart from the fact i know a LOT of second years who are living there next year?? didnt realise it was open to 1st years!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I know some people theyre and they like it.

ReputationRep:
    ive made dmu my firm choice and if i get the grades i shall be doing Music technology and Innovation woop.

does anyone know if grovesner and kingfisher has many first years? cus my mum was looking around at reviews and found some that said they mainly house post grads and mature students. i like the look of those 2 halls, however i want to go to some halls with a bit of a "party atmosphere" (if you like) and not too quiet, and also en suite is a must.

ReputationRep:
    i think Kingfisher is advertised at the halls for mature students.
    I think Grosvener is regular halls. only know 1 person who lives there so dont know much about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alithe)
    ive made dmu my firm choice and if i get the grades i shall be doing Music technology and Innovation woop.

does anyone know if grovesner and kingfisher has many first years? cus my mum was looking around at reviews and found some that said they mainly house post grads and mature students. i like the look of those 2 halls, however i want to go to some halls with a bit of a "party atmosphere" (if you like) and not too quiet, and also en suite is a must.
    Did you manage to find out much about whihc halls have the party atmosphere as well as the en suite? That is basically my criteria and with the day to choose accomodation coming up soon, I still can't decide! I'm edging towards Newarke Point & Liberty Park I think...

ReputationRep:
    I just found out that De Montfort does not provide university-sourced accommodation for 2nd and 3rd year students. Would I be considered as an international student (I'm from EU) or as domestic? Because De Montfort provides halls for all international students throughout the whole 3 years. Also, does anyone knows whether you have to pay for halls during your placement year? Where does the placement year usually takes place?

Cheers,

MJay

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Biggsx)
    Did you manage to find out much about whihc halls have the party atmosphere as well as the en suite? That is basically my criteria and with the day to choose accomodation coming up soon, I still can't decide! I'm edging towards Newarke Point & Liberty Park I think...
    yeah i looked at those but apparently liberty park is quite quiet and not all its cracked up to be (so ive heard), however it is smoking, and newarke point i visited and looked nice and is dead close to the lecture buildings. but both are out of my price range unfortunately (but may not be for you)

my mum says from what shes found on it and based on last year, the 5 you choose just ends up being a lottery and barely anyone actually gets their first choice. which sucks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alithe)
    yeah i looked at those but apparently liberty park is quite quiet and not all its cracked up to be (so ive heard), however it is smoking, and newarke point i visited and looked nice and is dead close to the lecture buildings. but both are out of my price range unfortunately (but may not be for you)

my mum says from what shes found on it and based on last year, the 5 you choose just ends up being a lottery and barely anyone actually gets their first choice. which sucks
    Liberty apparently isn't non-smoking. I spoke to someone at the housing place at DMU and they said ALL halls are non-smoking so I'm assuming their website is telling us something wrong! I'm not a smoker but I'm guessing everyone will smoke in their rooms anyway. I just really hope I get an ensuite and sociable people!

ReputationRep:
    Apparently all halls are uni-sex this year, which seems to be a little bit of a downer (and could prove to be interesting) I'm not entirely sure I really want to be stuck with a bunch of girls, could make for interesting...debate. But I think for actual hall itself I'll go for Victoria, it's got the contract which is long enough for me so that's fine.

Does anyone know if the uni managed halls will make an exception for nursing students and extend the contract? If so I might look more into their own accomodation, rather than the private sector's.

ReputationRep:
    I keep changing my mind about which halls I prefer... From what I've heard about last year - I'll be happy to just actually get accommodation and not a hotel....

(Original post by lilibeth)
    Apparently all halls are uni-sex this year, which seems to be a little bit of a downer (and could prove to be interesting) I'm not entirely sure I really want to be stuck with a bunch of girls, could make for interesting...debate.
    And I totally agree! I heard it was single sex and well... hopefully an all girl flat won't be too catty :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Twenty3Eight)
    And I totally agree! I heard it was single sex and well... hopefully an all girl flat won't be too catty :lol:
    yeah i heard that theyre all single sex flats, which doesnt make much sense to me, i mean why cant they have some mixed? im a little worried cus i dont tend to get on with girls that much but hey, fingers crossed!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Twenty3Eight)
    Out of curiosity, are halls single or mixed sex?
    Yeah there all single sex this year, i emailed them to make sure lol! Not entirely happy about it but oh well...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilibeth)
    Apparently all halls are uni-sex this year, which seems to be a little bit of a downer (and could prove to be interesting) I'm not entirely sure I really want to be stuck with a bunch of girls, could make for interesting...debate. But I think for actual hall itself I'll go for Victoria, it's got the contract which is long enough for me so that's fine.

Does anyone know if the uni managed halls will make an exception for nursing students and extend the contract? If so I might look more into their own accomodation, rather than the private sector's.

dont know if its the same this year but last year Waterway gardens were the halls advertised for the nursing students as they had an extended contract. might be worth checking out?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by *RedRose*)
    Yeah there all single sex this year, i emailed them to make sure lol! Not entirely happy about it but oh well...
    You're kidding? I'd of not been happy if they did this last year hehe! Wonder why they're doing that.

ReputationRep:
    DMU is my Firm, I got an offer for Pharmacy!

I haven't recieved their email yet to apply for accomodation

=[ =[ halp!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by **CutiePie**)
    You're kidding? I'd of not been happy if they did this last year hehe! Wonder why they're doing that.
    i have no idea =/ they didn't say why or anything. hummm. At least the flat will be pretty clean and tidy haha
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by *RedRose*)
    i have no idea =/ they didn't say why or anything. hummm. At least the flat will be pretty clean and tidy haha
    Haha, don't say that before you experience halls. Some girls I know have been the messiest of the house, whilst the guys have been the tidiest.

ReputationRep:
    Haha, don't say that before you experience halls. Some girls I know have been the messiest of the house, whilst the guys have been the tidiest.
    oh dear, ah well im not obessed with things being clean and tidy so i wont really mind haha!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by villager)
    I posed this on another thread so some of it may not make sense, but hopefully it may help you a bit!!

Benefits/drawbacks of accommodation:

GROSVENOR - 2 mins to uni
    + LITERALLY 2 minutes to uni, 1 minute to town.
    - Next to a three lane road, may be quite noisy.

VICTORIA - 4 minutes to uni
    + "free" Sky TV, cutlery/crockery included. I lived here, throroughly recommended!
    - Next to an 8 lane road, though this makes very little noise - I lived on the road side. I won't say you can't hear it, but it's hardly noticable.

NEWARKE - on campus
    + excellent location!
    - can be hard to escape the uni "bubble"

All are really modern, built within the past 10 years. To be honest, with any of these you'll be happy. DMU definitely has great accommodation, and it can make a lot of difference. Some unis that I looked at had really bad accommodation. Liberty might be worth considering too.

"top" accommodation, tends to cost the most:
    VICTORIA, GROSVENOR, LIBERTY, NEWARKE

"Middle" accommodation:
    WATERWAY, BEDE, NEW WHARF,

"basic"
    GRANGE, KINGFISHER.
    As you're a victoria parkian, how true is the 'Victoria Hall dull and mainly international" rumour?

ReputationRep:
    Blates talking about me :sexface:

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.