Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    HELLO,

I would really like to reapply to Oxford for next year (i got rejected this year) but then I have really good offers.... If i reapply to them next year would they just reject me because I didnt take the offer this year??? I mean there is a chance they will reject me but would they reject me simply because I didnt take the offer even though they gave me one this year????????????????

THIS IS FOR MATHS

AND I APPLIED FOR MATHS THIS YEAR......... so same subject

HELPPPP

ReputationRep:
    No. Places for universities are becomming more and more competitive. There is absolutely no guarantee you'll get in to the same places next year.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in a similar position, except with Cambridge. (And I want to do a different subject.)

As far as I know, they are not prejudiced against reapplicants, but some Unis say they'll consider your previous application when assessing your current one - Manchester leaps immediately to mind.

Maybe choose some different back-ups, to limit the amount of prejudice?

ReputationRep:
    I got into all the unis I applied to this year, including three who gave me offers last year.

Including Durham, who I really mucked around.

Some of my friends who reapplied were told by Imperial if they reapplied they'd definitely be given an offer without even having to go through the normal application process a second time.

But as above, there's no guarantee. It would be based on the merits of your application though, rather than spite, and if you think you're good enough to reapply chances are you're good enough your other offers again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rinsed)
    I got into all the unis I applied to this year, including three who gave me offers last year.

Including Durham, who I really mucked around.

Some of my friends who reapplied were told by Imperial if they reapplied they'd definitely be given an offer without even having to go through the normal application process a second time.

But as above, there's no guarantee. It would be based on the merits of your application though, rather than spite, and if you think you're good enough to reapply chances are you're good enough your other offers again.
    REALLY? how did your friends find out that Imperial would do that?
    did they email them before they reapplied?
    And did you apply for the same subject when you reapplied??
    Also, even though you were taking a gap year it wasnt a deferred entry was it?

Thanks for your help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sangin Know)
    REALLY? how did your friends find out that Imperial would do that?
    did they email them before they reapplied?
    And did you apply for the same subject when you reapplied??
    Also, even though you were taking a gap year it wasnt a deferred entry was it?

Thanks for your help
    I think they just asked admissions how reapplying would be viewed when they already had an Imperial offer, and the physics department told them that (they were both physics). I guess that might just be the physics admissions though, and they were both pretty good.

I originally applied for 2009 entry, but then when I decided to do a gap year I asked Durham to defer and they agreed. I then reapplied (for the same subject, physics) anyway, got another Durham offer, and then got accepted by Oxford anyway. I feel quite guilty about that actually, but the moral of the story is that, while there is obviously a risk involved, if you're good enough to get in one year you're probably good enough to get in the next.

We were all doing something relevant to our degree as well, which I think was probably the most important thing in our favour.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rinsed)
    I think they just asked admissions how reapplying would be viewed when they already had an Imperial offer, and the physics department told them that (they were both physics). I guess that might just be the physics admissions though, and they were both pretty good.

I originally applied for 2009 entry, but then when I decided to do a gap year I asked Durham to defer and they agreed. I then reapplied (for the same subject, physics) anyway, got another Durham offer, and then got accepted by Oxford anyway. I feel quite guilty about that actually, but the moral of the story is that, while there is obviously a risk involved, if you're good enough to get in one year you're probably good enough to get in the next.

We were all doing something relevant to our degree as well, which I think was probably the most important thing in our favour.
    How did you choose your college the second time? (for Oxford? and do you mind telling me which college?) I thought you had to pull out before you could reapply. so did you pull out of durham when you reapplied? did you give a reason to the unis youve got offers the first time why you were reapplying? or did you just reapply without contacting them?

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.