x Turn on thread page Beta

Which book is best for Kaiser to Fuhrer? They look the same! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    http://www.waterstones.com/waterston...nit+3/6552088/

Published:
    21/09/2009
    Synopsis
    Written by experienced examiners and teachers with an exact match to the new Edexcel specification, this work offers an active, engaging approach that brings History alive in the classroom! Exam tips, activities and sources in every chapter give students the confidence to tackle all the questions that come up in the exam. Carefully written material ensures the right level of support at AS or A2.

OR!!!

http://www.waterstones.com/waterston...uhrer/6592334/

Published:
    25/09/2009

Synopsis

About the series The Access to History series is the most popular and trusted series for advanced level history students, offering: ? Authoritative, engaging and accessible content ? Comprehensive coverage of the History AS and A level specifications ? Design features, study guides and web support to help students achieve exam success. About the book Endorsed by Edexcel, this title combines content from From Bismarck to Hitler 1890-1933 with Germany: The Third Reich to provide coherent and comprehensive coverage of Edexcel's A2 Unit 3 'From Kaiser to Fuhrer: Germany 1900-1945'. It charts the developments in Germany from 1900-1945 including an examination of: - the Second Reich: society and governent 1900-1919 - the democratic experiment 1919-29 - the rise of the Nazis - life in wartime Germany 1939-45 Throughout the book, key dates, terms and issues are highlighted, and historical interpretations of key debates are outlined. Summary diagrams are included to consolidate knowledge and understanding of the period, and exam-style questions and tips written by an examiner provide the opportunity to develop exam skills

The second one looks better but the first one is Unit 3 specific and I don't know whether the second one covers the new specification for 2008 but I am inclined to believe it does?

Why are two seemingly identical books for the same exam board, available?

ReputationRep:
    If you definitely want exam syllabus stuff, I would say the first one as it's published by Edexcel.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I just bought the first one, I was just confounded, the first book has like 190ish pages and the second one 360, Strange!

ReputationRep:
    School bought us the second one - It's designed for Edexcel and is really good! We were given the first book on the Tudors (for AS) and I really couldn't get on with the format. The layout of the second one, for me, makes it easier to understand the topic despite there being detailed. There are questions in the margins to help process your thoughts, pictures and diagrams and end of chapter essay questions (giving you tips on what you should include in your answer)

ReputationRep:
    school gave us the first one...endorsed by edexcel so must be good! but if you have the money might as well get both!

ReputationRep:
    You'll never go wrong with Access to History. The first one is likely to have sources and sample examination questions. If you are looking for in depth knowledge for the exam, Access to History is better.
    You should buy both for this reason, if not - get Access to History

ReputationRep:
    I use both for my unit on Kaiser to Fuhrer!!
    The Green one (2nd) is much better for depth, but the Red One (1st) is the edexcel syallabus, mind previous use of their books as cropted up wrong dates - the women's suffrage question book we used last year stated that the WW1 ended in November 1919
    But the green one combined with the red one is an excellant combination hope it helps!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daniel Robert)
    I use both for my unit on Kaiser to Fuhrer!!
    The Green one (2nd) is much better for depth, but the Red One (1st) is the edexcel syallabus, mind previous use of their books as cropted up wrong dates - the women's suffrage question book we used last year stated that the WW1 ended in November 1919
    But the green one combined with the red one is an excellant combination hope it helps!!
    Are you doing Edexcel's 1900-45 A2 modual?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I am. Half way through the unit now.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I am. Half way through the unit now.
    We haven't even started it yet ......... :o:

I seriously despise my teacher, it's his last year before he retires so he's really not interested if we pass.
    That's not very good for me when my universities are expecting an A from history

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, we did coursework last term and finished it before the xmas break. It was on The Civil Rights movement of the USA 1871 to 1981.
    Was pretty hefty topic like, was glad to get rid of it.

I'm finding Kaiser to Fuhrer much more interesting, minds the sources are what are holding me back on the course. We did a practise essay question from the Red book, and the class had to get an extra week on it, because we had no clue on what to right - I just handed it in because I couldn't be bothered to write anymore on it.

My teachers quite supportive, shes quite new to teaching and she loves Germany and is clued up on her knowledge on the country, which is useful. Seems your teacher is one of those who is just cruising through until they end the year, which is bad for you if you need to get an A, thats what I need to get into Newcastle but I prefer Sunderland which is a better course for what I want to study.

You know if you need any help I am willing, I seem to have a firm grasp of the subject at the moment. Just send me a message or an email in my direction and I can give you some help.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, we did coursework last term and finished it before the xmas break. It was on The Civil Rights movement of the USA 1871 to 1981.
    Was pretty hefty topic like, was glad to get rid of it.

I'm finding Kaiser to Fuhrer much more interesting, minds the sources are what are holding me back on the course. We did a practise essay question from the Red book, and the class had to get an extra week on it, because we had no clue on what to right - I just handed it in because I couldn't be bothered to write anymore on it.

My teachers quite supportive, shes quite new to teaching and she loves Germany and is clued up on her knowledge on the country, which is useful. Seems your teacher is one of those who is just cruising through until they end the year, which is bad for you if you need to get an A, thats what I need to get into Newcastle but I prefer Sunderland which is a better course for what I want to study.

You know if you need any help I am willing, I seem to have a firm grasp of the subject at the moment. Just send me a message or an email in my direction and I can give you some help.
    Well yes! I think that would be beneficial.
    I am taking my studies really seriously and doing lots of extra-cirricular work haha! I have started already, making worksheets, revision booklets, dictionary of history for the period, if you are interested I can give you some of the stuff if you like.

ReputationRep:
    Wow!
    You seem more planned out than me, even though I am taking my studies seriously, I cannot take it to that extent other priorities (stupid work and needing money) but if you are willing then sure the more help the better. Shall be a mutual support, seeing as you have no-good teacher, they really annoy me when they get like that!

I've got a general history dictionary for general history study, but if you have a specific one I wouldn't mind knowing what that is titled??

Cheers for the help hope I can help you in anyway possible aswell.

ReputationRep:
    Wow!
    You seem more planned out than me, even though I am taking my studies seriously, I cannot take it to that extent other priorities (stupid work and needing money) but if you are willing then sure the more help the better. Shall be a mutual support, seeing as you have no-good teacher, they really annoy me when they get like that!

He's just waiting for his pension, he freely admits it, another classic is 'Do you think if I won the lottery I would come in to teach you on monday?' haha, it would be quite amusing if it wasn't :p:
    I've got a general history dictionary for general history study, but if you have a specific one I wouldn't mind knowing what that is titled??

Cheers for the help hope I can help you in anyway possible aswell.
    The dictionary is called:
    AS/A-level 19th & 20th Century European & World History
    I am going through it taking all the words/events that are relevent to the study period and writing them on a word document in alphabetical order so I can stick them in a folder for reference in class. (might be pointless, but its a start :p: )
    I'm just about to do a question
    'To what extent did Wilhelm II’s personality shape the history of imperial Germany?'

So yeah you can PM me your email/msn or something if you like and I will send you what I already have?

ReputationRep:
    Cheers will search Amazon for it!
    I don't think it is pointless, I did it with my last unit of work for Civil Rights, tagged all the pages with relevant definitions etc. and used it whilst writing my coursework. Our teacher makes us write down key terms and significant individuals on huge pieces of paper and asks us about them randomly in lessons, if we don't know we have to learn them.

I think that was the loser out of our first question, ours was on moderate social reform helping maintain the german status quo. Quite a few people gave up on it!

Yeah, I'll send you my email address, and any work I think might be useful for you, i'll send across aswell

ReputationRep:
    Cheers will search Amazon for it!
    I don't think it is pointless, I did it with my last unit of work for Civil Rights, tagged all the pages with relevant definitions etc. and used it whilst writing my coursework. Our teacher makes us write down key terms and significant individuals on huge pieces of paper and asks us about them randomly in lessons, if we don't know we have to learn them.

I think that was the loser out of our first question, ours was on moderate social reform helping maintain the german status quo. Quite a few people gave up on it!

Yeah, I'll send you my email address, and any work I think might be useful for you, i'll send across aswell
    This is it

http://www.hoddereducation.co.uk/Tit...Dictionary.htm

ReputationRep:
    i have the edexcel book and it's nowhere near detailed enough according to my teacher,
    he isn't really teaching the early part of the course (the fuhrer and germany in WW1) , he calls it an "emergency, break glass topic",
    is the second book worth it? our teachers made a mistake and ordered us this book:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Second-Germa...6685718&sr=8-4
    i'm considering buying the kaiser to fuhrer second book but i don't know whether it's worth it.

ReputationRep:
    I'm self teaching this unit
    Problem is, I have no one to check my essays :/
    The essay questions don't seem to bad from the Edexcel A2 book though, so hopefully I'm on the right tracks..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by haaaza23)
    I'm self teaching this unit
    Problem is, I have no one to check my essays :/
    The essay questions don't seem to bad from the Edexcel A2 book though, so hopefully I'm on the right tracks..
    I don't mind reading them and offering feedback

If really am not sure about your essay I will take it into my 'teacher' and have him mark it as my own if you like!

Just an offer :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jakko247)
    I don't mind reading them and offering feedback

If really am not sure about your essay I will take it into my 'teacher' and have him mark it as my own if you like!

Just an offer :yep:
    Wow that's really handy!! That'd be great. I'll do some tomorrow afternoon and send them to you, if you really don't mind!

I'm aiming for a B this year, although I've been predicted an A; I underestimated the actual difficulty of self-study!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 23, 2010
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.