Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm really looking forward to starting my PGCE next September but I'm also really worried at the same time.
    I'm fretting about the workload as I've heard it's massive as well as the fact that I'll be moving to a new city far away from home where I know nobody (gonna be lonely ) I wouln't mind this so much only that seeing as it's such an intensive course the year will probably be spent up in my room doing coursework and I won't have time to meet new people.
    How about you lot?

ReputationRep:
    Hey bobsleigh ... im in the same situ except for having my boyfriend with me! ... im moving to a completely new city that neither me nor my boyfriend had even visited until last week, and is about 4 hours away from my house ... but ive been away at uni for three years and only ever gone home for 2 weeks at a time (during summer I stayed and worked at uni!) ... so im not too worried about that bit, but I will miss being a bit closer to home to pop home if I want too tho!

Dont worry about being lonely, having talked to some current PGCE students, they all say they quickly became close friends with their classmates as everyone is in the same boat and generally on the same wavelength as you as everyone has a similar interest, teaching! I'm sure you'l quickly make some good friends, who'l support through the year! Thats my hope anyway!

The workload scares me as well, but at the end of the day, thousands of people get through the year and come out the other side, exhausted and stressed but still alive, and thats the main thing! I think the important thing is to always take time out for yourself at least once a week ... I have friends going through it at the moment and they all say its manageable, yes your busy, but they still manage to have a social life and some relaxing time with friends! I think its probably easier if you are younger and have no family commitments, as (and i dont mean selfishly) you only have yourself to think about and look after! (although my boyfriend does need a bit of looking after ;-) he'd never have any clean clothes if it wasnt for me!) ... so yes while I am worried about how much work we will have, I think rationally I know i'l be able to get through it and so this is making it ok!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hollyy13)
    Dont worry about being lonely, having talked to some current PGCE students, they all say they quickly became close friends with their classmates as everyone is in the same boat and generally on the same wavelength as you as everyone has a similar interest, teaching! I'm sure you'l quickly make some good friends, who'l support through the year! Thats my hope anyway!
    Hey thanks so much You're right there's going to be thousands of people around the country in the exact same situation and we'll get each other through it ....and i suppose there's still loads of time left to prepare for it too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bobsleigh)
    I'm really looking forward to starting my PGCE next September but I'm also really worried at the same time.
    I'm fretting about the workload as I've heard it's massive as well as the fact that I'll be moving to a new city far away from home where I know nobody (gonna be lonely ) I wouln't mind this so much only that seeing as it's such an intensive course the year will probably be spent up in my room doing coursework and I won't have time to meet new people.
    How about you lot?
    Snap! Iv never lived away from home and I will be in post grad halls for my PGCE. Im worried about everything the course, living away, meeting people just got to hope though a few weeks in everything will fall in to place!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    I moved to live on campus for my PGCE. You spend so much time with people on your course that you end up becoming friends very quickly And then you meet the teachers and TAs in your placement schools

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.