Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is there such a thing as the 'profile rule' for final degree classification? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, i've prowled these boards for a v.long time, but im the quiet type that likes to observe what everyone else is saying. (you may call me a TSR stalker :ninja: )

Basically I have been told my some of my fellow students that there is a 'profile rule', that exists for students who did not achieve a 2.1 grade in the 2nd year. This 'profile rule' enables a student to gain a 2.1 as long as they finish with a minimum of 60% in 80 credits in the final year, regardless of the grade achieved in the 2nd year. However the aggregate mark from the final 2 years must not be lower than 57.

Is there any truth to this?

I e-mailed my head of faculty who did not have a clue. She then had the programme administrator e-mail me the student handbook. I have read and tried my best to interpret this, and have subsequently sought clarifation from the uni to no avail.

The parts I found in 2 seperate handbooks that relate to this query is;

1st handbook:

"7.8.3 A candidate's marks will be related to the following table.

First Class 70% or more
    Second Class, Upper Division 60-69%
    Second Class, Lower Division 50-59%
    Third Class 40-49%

7.8.4 Where a candidate achieves a higher class than that determined under 7.8.3 in units with a total value of 80 credits or more at Level H, the Board of Examiners will recommend that a higher class be awarded."

and second handbook:

"8.2 For a Bachelors degree with Honours, Level H units will normally have a weighting of 70% towards final degree classification, with 30% weighting for Level I units. Honours classification will be based on Level H units only, in the case of candidates with advanced standing admitted directly to Level H. Degree classification will be calculated in whichever of the following is more advantageous to the student:

• Credit-weighted aggregate mark related as follows:

First Class 70% or more

Second Class, Upper Division 60-69%

Second Class, Lower Division 50-59%

Third Class 40-49%

• Mark profile: Where a student achieves an aggregate mark which is not more than 3 marks below a classification boundary (50, 60 or 70) and has at least 80 credits at Level H in a higher classification than the aggregate mark, the Board of Examiners will recommend that the higher classification be awarded."

My interpretation of this, is that in order to get a 2.1, I need a minimum of 60 in 80 credits, and my aggregate mark over the whole course must not be lower than 57 to achieve a 2.1? :confused:

Would you say my interpretation is correct? It seems awfully easy, but as I only managed a 53 in my second year, the rule would aid me in my sleepless nights worrying that it is impossible to achieve my 2.1...

Let me know what you think, maybe im wrong and I really am screwed...

ReputationRep:
    Briefly read your qu minus the calculations but basically yes, my uni has both the aggregate and profile ways of calculating the classification.

ReputationRep:
    So there's still hope for me?!?

Do you what the regulations concerning this are at your uni? Or the same as mine?

Thanks for the reply man :ta:

im just really worried about this situation I'm in...

I just want to know that im still in the game (I've already completed 2 units this year, totalling at 40 credits) On one i recieved 63 and the other I don't know yet, but I know i messed up because i decided to cancel my last answer like an idiot, and attempt another question, only to **** up the whole thing...(highest i'll most likley get with this is 55, due to my CW):mad:

Because right now im having a melt down and need to keep it together...:eek3:

BTW, these smilies on TSR are fabulous :fluffy:

ReputationRep:
    I found out through my university regulation handbook. If you have two books do check if they are different years - regulations change, make sure which ones apply to you. I didn't know and we were obviously not told about profile marking until the beginning of third year. My degree is all going to be weighted on third year automatically because I didn't do my best in second year.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks *Star*Guitar*, you really are a star!

I think what is worrying me, is that our uni never told us this, and all of the staff that I have spoken to on my course (law) don't have a clue about it, thus it leads me to question the validity of its existance!:confused:

stupid staff :shoot:

But you have simmered my worries a little

from what you have read from my intial post, that quotes my handbooks (i just checked the years and thankfully are both the newest handbooks) would you say my interpretation of my uni's rules are correct?

sorry for buggin ya, im just so friggin worried and paranoid

maybe i need to dance :troll: (yes i am indeed in love with these smilies)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bongboy6969)
    Thanks *Star*Guitar*, you really are a star!

I think what is worrying me, is that our uni never told us this, and all of the staff that I have spoken to on my course (law) don't have a clue about it, thus it leads me to question the validity of its existance!
    lol incidentally I also do law. Of course they're not going to tell you this until they need to - otherwise eveyone would use it as an excuse to sit on their arses until final year. Which may not affect their degree outcome too much, but it still disadvantages you for work experience and even training contract apps to an extent. However, any student is entitled to look at the regulations that affect them at any time they want - but of course, not many do this!

ReputationRep:
    working on friday nights, i better get used to this....:woo:

now it's probably the lawyer in me,:rolleyes: but when my uni guideline says:

"Mark profile: Where a student achieves an aggregate mark which is not more than 3 marks below a classification boundary (50, 60 or 70) and has at least 80 credits at Level H in a higher classification than the aggregate mark, the Board of Examiners will recommend that the higher classification be awarded."

Does this mean the aggregate score of each of my units (ie, I need to get at least 57 in media law, family law etc.) or just the final score (i.e my final score after the last 2 years needs to be at least 57)

Obviously i would prefer the second scenario, but it just seems too good to be true for me at this stage....:dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure from the way you put it. Basically, we do six units, with profile marking 3 of those units must be 57 (thats each one), and then the other three must each hit 60%.

ReputationRep:
    ahh so because i've got 55 in media law, im not eligible?

*devastated*

ReputationRep:
    ours is also split into six units (dissertation counting as two) so a total of 120 credits, with 80 that need to be 60.

However this aggreate mark question really is confusing.

Are there not many people on this board tonight (coz it's friday) or is this thread realy boring?

Anyone else have a take on this new development?

ReputationRep:
    Bumped for the day crowd

anyone have any insights on my above query?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.