Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

Working for a Few Pounds per Hour - Depressing and Waste of Time/Life? watch

ReputationRep:
    Working for a Few Pounds per Hour - Depressing and Waste of Time/Life?

:sigh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trouser Snake)
    There's people who end up working on minimum wage for the rest of their lives. I've worked for minimum wage for many years, starting at 14. It wouldn't be a sobering experience it would be the end of my life, literally.
    Well, when you were working in those minimum wage jobs you probably didn't think it was the end of the world. You had the intention of moving on or up from that. Not everyone can or wants to, it doesn't mean it is a waste of time or of life. The way society works means that you have to work to live, not everyone can have well paid jobs or be in your position.

(Original post by ~Amy-Eliza~)
    This is why I'm glad I'm at uni in London...I've just started a part time job at L.K.Bennett for £6.75 an hour, plus commission.
    When I was in Sixth Form I used to waitress at a pub where I got paid £4 an hour. They didn't even let us keep our tips!
    Mmm, I hope you don't think that you are being paid that just as you have moved to London?! It is more to do with the company. There are people and workers in London on low wages or the minimum wage and they work very hard part-time or full time in all kinds of environments and sectors.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sixteen and have two jobs both at £6.00 an hour. It still feels like so little sometimes but some of my friends are working for £3.80 a hour so I try not to moan too much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trouser Snake)
    No, I'm not saying that, what I'm saying is that I can't believe that such a wage is deemed acceptable for giving up an hour of your life.
    very true.

ReputationRep:
    When you're young you have to start at the bottom of the ladder, it may seem ridiculously underpaid but that's because you're 26, at 18-20 we have little experience of serious money making.

Don't you just love England :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    I'm on MW but to be honest, it's pretty good. Hate to be living properly off it but since I live at home and have zero outgoings, it's just a nice bit of spending money. Work isn't too bad either so it's all fine as far as I'm concerned. MW for my age is <£5 by the way.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.