Turn on thread page Beta

Feeling useless/dispassionate watch

ReputationRep:
    Not sure if this is where I should post but meh, move it if it isn't (and sorry if it isn't).

Just feel like I'm a very passionate person but not using it on anything. I used to play quite a few sports before but quit many of them and so many opportunities aren't available because I don't have much money. Wanted to start kickboxing or muay thai or something similar but they are either quite far away or really expensive. Tried to get into musical instruments etc. but I've realised I really LIKE listening to music but I'm pretty crap at actually playing - don't quite have the patience of it all.

I am thinking about starting to go to the gym (£30 a month is max I could afford) which should be good because I feel like I have so much free time doing absolutely **** all. It's really annoying me I'll be honest - just feel like I should be doing SOMETHING with my life rather than wasting it on the internet doing nothing.

I've got quite a few friends but I moved school so now it's so hard to meet up with them. Also, the new school is really far away and most live close there so it would be really hard to meet up with them if i'd have to travel 1.5 hours to get there and then get back home too - 3 hours of travelling isn't nice. I'm not really unsocial or anything, and if anything I want to go out way more than my current friends, but it's like the people who ARE actually pretty social I'm not really like them either and can't relate. I want some middle ground with people who go out quite a bit but aren't completely 100% social (you know what i mean, people going out a lot and partying etc - not really me either).

ReputationRep:
    I know how you feel. It's hard to find stuff to do sometimes, I don't live 1.5hrs from my friends but they go clubbing most weekends and I haven't got any I.D to do so.

Perhaps find some clubs to join, whatever they are. Football and Rugby clubs are good places to make friends. Similarly if you can get into musical instruments there are a lot of opportunities in bands and such.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ed_jnr)
    I know how you feel. It's hard to find stuff to do sometimes, I don't live 1.5hrs from my friends but they go clubbing most weekends and I haven't got any I.D to do so.

Perhaps find some clubs to join, whatever they are. Football and Rugby clubs are good places to make friends. Similarly if you can get into musical instruments there are a lot of opportunities in bands and such.
    But also so much stuff you need other people and I've just a bunch of lazy friends who are a million times worse than me. Clubs usually cost money though which is a problem. I like tennis and took some lessons but they cost so much and the club looked really good but was VERY expensive...

Yes, I would wanna learn a musical instrument but I know it's not gonna happen. I'm realistic and right now I don't have the patience to learn by myself.

ReputationRep:
    bump.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Michael XYZ)
    But also so much stuff you need other people and I've just a bunch of lazy friends who are a million times worse than me. Clubs usually cost money though which is a problem. I like tennis and took some lessons but they cost so much and the club looked really good but was VERY expensive...

Yes, I would wanna learn a musical instrument but I know it's not gonna happen. I'm realistic and right now I don't have the patience to learn by myself.
    Get a job! Or perhaps ask your parents for money.

I used to use money as an excuse thinking my parents wouldn't give me any. I asked for an allowance and they gave me one no questions, so it's worth a try.

Also, so many people get EMA in Sixth Form which they spend solely on themselves. Just because you're not poor it shouldn't mean you are individually worse off than those with little money. It's a flawed argument but it may work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ed_jnr)
    Get a job! Or perhaps ask your parents for money.

I used to use money as an excuse thinking my parents wouldn't give me any. I asked for an allowance and they gave me one no questions, so it's worth a try.

Also, so many people get EMA in Sixth Form which they spend solely on themselves. Just because you're not poor it shouldn't mean you are individually worse off than those with little money. It's a flawed argument but it may work.
    Well they do provide me with some money which is how I would be able to afford going to the gym. I think max they would spend on something is in the region of £30 a month (and that's pushing it A LOT). I travel to school which is far and that's like £15 a week so it does all add up and I also don't want to ask for a lot because I know that they're not very rich or anywhere near it so it would be very selfish of me.

I have thought about getting a job but I really want to do something productive. Like work out/get fit or something - not just make some money. Would not have enough time for a job AND gym/fitness-related activities though I doubt or I would be really pushing myself too much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Michael XYZ)
    I have thought about getting a job but I really want to do something productive. Like work out/get fit or something - not just make some money. Would not have enough time for a job AND gym/fitness-related activities though I doubt or I would be really pushing myself too much.
    Whatever you do, ensure you do something! Getting a job, any job, can make you feel more fulfilled than you'd think.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 5, 2010
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.