Turn on thread page Beta
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Mad Vlad)
    Transport Tycoon <3

Arguably better, however - Locomotion

[EDIT] RCT and RCT2 are also BRIMMING with win. RCT3's a little misunderstood... it's good in its own way, vis. customisability and sheer depth of content, but it's not on the same playing field in terms of playability as RCT/RCT2.
    Controversial :p:. I find that there are advantages and disadvantages to both... I find that TT is better to play because it's been worked on and improved so much by the community (OpenTTD) but the graphics for Locomotion are undoubtedly superior :yep:

I like all of the RCT series but 1 and 2 were the classics. I always go back to the classics

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by secretmessages)
    Controversial :p:. I find that there are advantages and disadvantages to both... I find that TT is better to play because it's been worked on and improved so much by the community (OpenTTD) but the graphics for Locomotion are undoubtedly superior :yep:

I like all of the RCT series but 1 and 2 were the classics. I always go back to the classics
    See, I like the realism that's in Locomotion (and the fact that you can have more than 45 degree mitre joints for "curves" ), and the graphics engine (which, for those that aren't aware is lifted from RCT2). I also like the fact that there's a fair bit of custom community content for it too - real-world trains with appropriate livery [/geekiness]

Does OpenTTD still have the exploit in it that allows you to ruin someone's road network by putting a length of track on a level crossing that just runs a fast locomotive back and forth, smashing up any wagon that dares cross? :awesome:
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    See, I like the realism that's in Locomotion (and the fact that you can have more than 45 degree mitre joints for "curves" ), and the graphics engine (which, for those that aren't aware is lifted from RCT2). I also like the fact that there's a fair bit of custom community content for it too - real-world trains with appropriate livery [/geekiness]

Does OpenTTD still have the exploit in it that allows you to ruin someone's road network by putting a length of track on a level crossing that just runs a fast locomotive back and forth, smashing up any wagon that dares cross? :awesome:
    I've done the appropriate livery thing myself . Unfortunately the realism of the UK map I created was less than to be desired, but at the moment I'm playing a brilliant UK map for OpenTTD that I found online :awesome:

:teehee: No I don't think it allows you to build on the same square as the opposition (apart from bridges and tunnels) but that trick was awesome

ReputationRep:
    I've done the appropriate livery thing myself . Unfortunately the realism of the UK map I created was less than to be desired, but at the moment I'm playing a brilliant UK map for OpenTTD that I found online :awesome:

:teehee: No I don't think it allows you to build on the same square as the opposition (apart from bridges and tunnels) but that trick was awesome
    :teehee: Damn those open source folk!

I have a game on Locomotion where I've broken the game by making too much profit. The financial screen uses a 32bit integer for the profit field, and unfortunately, once you make over £2.1bn profit, it wraps round to a loss of -£2.1bn The actual profit still goes in your bank though :awesome:
    When I figured that I can't squeeze any more profit from the map, I was making £8.6bn profit per year :sexface:

ReputationRep:
    Moar win: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...3#post24485393
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    :teehee: Damn those open source folk!

I have a game on Locomotion where I've broken the game by making too much profit. The financial screen uses a 32bit integer for the profit field, and unfortunately, once you make over £2.1bn profit, it wraps round to a loss of -£2.1bn The actual profit still goes in your bank though :awesome:
    When I figured that I can't squeeze any more profit from the map, I was making £8.6bn profit per year :sexface:
    :zomg: Do you use all types of transport? I tend to stick just to trains, I think they're the most profitable. I'm making about £10m profit a year at the moment :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    :zomg: Do you use all types of transport? I tend to stick just to trains, I think they're the most profitable. I'm making about £10m profit a year at the moment :holmes:
    Trains mainly, but I also use buses and trams. One of my most profitable money spinners is my Eurostar service that is built in the centre of two massive cities and crosses the map point to point. Makes about £9m per trip. I have a couple of of airports, just to increase the catchment of a few key stations and run a token air service that makes almost no money at all. One of the largest investments I've made though is an underground rail service that covers the two large sprawling metropolises. Cost me about £2bn to build in total, which is a bit dear... Still, makes a fortune

ReputationRep:
    Trains mainly, but I also use buses and trams. One of my most profitable money spinners is my Eurostar service that is built in the centre of two massive cities and crosses the map point to point. Makes about £9m per trip. I have a couple of of airports, just to increase the catchment of a few key stations and run a token air service that makes almost no money at all. One of the largest investments I've made though is an underground rail service that covers the two large sprawling metropolises. Cost me about £2bn to build in total, which is a bit dear... Still, makes a fortune
    What game is that? I may invest in it. Sounds awesome.
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    Sounds awesome . I think my most profitable route is London to Edinburgh, making up to £0.5m a year (but it can only do one return trip per year anyway because of the length of it). One thing I prefer about OpenTTD over Locomotion is MagLev (unless I'm mistaken, I don't think Locomotion has those :dontknow:)
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Puma)
    OpenTTD/Transport Tycoon/Locomotion (I think Vlad is referring to Locomotion specifically) :yep:

ReputationRep:
    what happened to that google maps monopoly?

ReputationRep:
    How do you play it? It says "Can't buy railway vehicle..." But I have two stations and a railway track...
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Puma)
    How do you play it? It says "Can't buy railway vehicle..." But I have two stations and a railway track...
    Which game are you playing? :holmes:
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by alexsheppard11)
    what happened to that google maps monopoly?
    :dontknow: Is that a game?

ReputationRep:
    Which game are you playing? :holmes:
    Open TTD. I build the roads or railways then I get that message when I try to buy cars/trains.
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Puma)
    Open TTD. I build the roads or railways then I get that message when I try to buy cars/trains.
    Where are you trying to buy trains from? You'll need to build a railway first, then a depot, and build the train though the depot. If that's not your problem then.. do you have enough cash?

ReputationRep:
    Sounds awesome . I think my most profitable route is London to Edinburgh, making up to £0.5m a year (but it can only do one return trip per year anyway because of the length of it). One thing I prefer about OpenTTD over Locomotion is MagLev (unless I'm mistaken, I don't think Locomotion has those :dontknow:)
    No, it doesn't. Why don't you just run more trains along it, or is it a single line route?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Puma)
    Locomotion. If you do get it, you should download the BR train set: http://www.amitrains.co.uk/
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    No, it doesn't. Why don't you just run more trains along it, or is it a single line route?
    Sorry, meant £0.5m per year per train. I originally had 16 trains on that route but recently cut it down to 12 as a) I now have 600km/h MagLevs, and b) because some of them were running empty because I had too many. Trying to construct a Eurostar-equivalent service myself now :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, meant £0.5m per year per train. I originally had 16 trains on that route but recently cut it down to 12 as a) I now have 600km/h MagLevs, and b) because some of them were running empty because I had too many. Trying to construct a Eurostar-equivalent service myself now :holmes:
    :lolwut:

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.