Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by secretmessages)
    Guise, need help. Looking for a new external hard drive - what is the fastest method of data transfer between my computer and a hard drive, e.g. USB, Firewire etc.?
    Firewire, but typically they don't come as standard with the external hard drive.
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by spikeymike)
    Firewire, but typically they don't come as standard with the external hard drive.
    I've found a couple that have it but it doesn't seem to be that much faster than USB, looking at the specs :dontknow:. What about "SATA", what is that? eSATA?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I've found a couple that have it but it doesn't seem to be that much faster than USB, looking at the specs :dontknow:. What about "SATA", what is that? eSATA?
    AFAIK, there shouldn't be any mention of SATA unless you're looking at internet hard drives. You get SATA I which is 1.5Gb/s transfer speed, SATA II which is 3Gb/s.

eSATA is equivalent to a SATA port on the motherboard, but instead of it being inside, you could have it outside instead, an external SATA port.

ReputationRep:
    an eSATA port also carries power.

dont forget SATA III is out now, 6Gb/s.

you could get a external hard drive with a gigabit ethernet connection, if you want multiple users to use it
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    AFAIK, there shouldn't be any mention of SATA unless you're looking at internet hard drives. You get SATA I which is 1.5Gb/s transfer speed, SATA II which is 3Gb/s.

eSATA is equivalent to a SATA port on the motherboard, but instead of it being inside, you could have it outside instead, an external SATA port.
    This mentions eSATA but nothing about the Internet. What is an Internet hard drive?
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by alexsheppard11)
    an eSATA port also carries power.

dont forget SATA III is out now, 6Gb/s.

you could get a external hard drive with a gigabit ethernet connection, if you want multiple users to use it
    Just me who wants to use it. How do I know if I have a SATA port thing on my computer, what does it look like?

EDIT: Don't think I have one. I have Firewire though :teeth:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    This mentions eSATA but nothing about the Internet. What is an Internet hard drive?
    Internal.

I've never looked at HDDs like those before so I'd have to research.
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    Internal.

I've never looked at HDDs like those before so I'd have to research.
    spikeymike fail :p:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    spikeymike fail :p:
    An internet hard drive is close to a network drive. :fyi: A network drive is connected directly to a modem or router to share pr0n on a network.

ReputationRep:
    i looked at firewire, but seeing as many computers dont use it, i was put off.
    every computer has USB and ethernet :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    I don't think I can build stations underground with OpenTTD :nn:. However I've invested in transporting goods, which pay a lot of money. Only problem being, my stations aren't efficient enough to handle the amount of goods that the factories are chucking out :teehee:
    RO/RO stations are the best way around that. Even though the stations will inevitably be a terminus, you should get the trains to come in one side, then go out the other side and loop back on itself. That way, you can have multiple trains loading/unloading at the same time, whilst not impeding their exit from the station by other trains coming into the signal area.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexsheppard11)
    i looked at firewire, but seeing as many computers dont use it, i was put off.
    every computer has USB and ethernet :awesome:
    Firewire. Yet another revolutionary product developed by Apple and Sony... :rolleyes:
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Mad Vlad)
    RO/RO stations are the best way around that. Even though the stations will inevitably be a terminus, you should get the trains to come in one side, then go out the other side and loop back on itself. That way, you can have multiple trains loading/unloading at the same time, whilst not impeding their exit from the station by other trains coming into the signal area.
    :holmes: Indeed, however I am somewhat restricted in space. I found a way round it, created a new line with a 30-coach train (:awesome:), which clears out all the goods pretty effectively now.

ReputationRep:
    :holmes: Indeed, however I am somewhat restricted in space. I found a way round it, created a new line with a 30-coach train (:awesome:), which clears out all the goods pretty effectively now.
    That's even less efficient! :lolwut:
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Mad Vlad)
    That's even less efficient! :lolwut:
    Why? :puppyeyes: I kept the old inefficient line, but the new one makes the most of there only being space for another two platforms. I'll post a screenshot.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by secretmessages from another thread)
    When you assume, you make an ASS out of U and ME :teehee:
    :facepalm2: :lol:
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    Everything within the yellow circle is the same station:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    New question: if I were to buy a tablet PC that's not the iPad, how much should I be looking to spend and do you have any recommendations?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    New question: if I were to buy a tablet PC that's not the iPad, how much should I be looking to spend and do you have any recommendations?
    Why do you need a tablet? You have a netbook IIRC. :holmes:
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    Why do you need a tablet? You have a netbook IIRC. :holmes:
    Upgrade

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 26, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.