Turn on thread page Beta
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by secretmessages)
    If I hide my rep I'm still left with an annoying black gem, and also if I hide my post count, the rep gems and the join date text are not aligned, which frustrates my OCD :pierre:
    It's not aligned now anyway. :hand:
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by spikeymike)
    It's not aligned now anyway. :hand:
    It matters less :ta:
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politi...10/8635180.stm :teehee:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    All these fake antivirus software threads is actually increasing. I think we need a pop up message on login saying:

"Do not download any 'antivirus software' containing the OS name!"

Edit:
    OP:I have the virus and I has no internet! helppppp!111!!one

Boot into safe mode, download and run Spybot, and see if that fixes anything. If not, check out the link in my sig - "removing fake anti-virus programs".
    OP: Can get on the internet in safe mode Now what?!

:facepalm2: ******* READ THE THREAD!

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have info on the issue the UK had with Switzerland over the money issues?

ReputationRep:
    So, I was thinking about this post - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...02&postcount=9
    Particularly this part:
    Firstly, half of the threads coming into AAM are probably 'can you delete this?' ; 'can you temp ban me'.
    It is trivial to create a program to block tsr on a particular computer, as long as the member is the owner (admin) of the computer (which I imagine is the majority of cases).
    So, why does tsr not provide a program to self-block a computer for a period of time?
    As an illustration, I have created a pimitive batch script. Obviously there are some limitations, but I think it would fairly easily be made into something more robust. What do you guys think?
    Surely the fact that this was so easy to make says something?

Code:
    @echo off
    echo This will block TSR for 1 week
    pause
    copy C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts.backup
    echo. >> C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts & echo 0.0.0.0 	www.thestudentroom.co.uk >> C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    ipconfig /flushdns
    schtasks /Create /RU SYSTEM /SC weekly /TN TSRunblock /TR "cmd /c copy /y C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts.backup C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts & del C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts.backup & ipconfig /flushdns & schtasks /delete /f /tn TSRunblock"

ReputationRep:
    People might get it wrong and mess up their system

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Puma)
    People might get it wrong and mess up their system
    How do you mean?
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by spikeymike)
    All these fake antivirus software threads is actually increasing. I think we need a pop up message on login saying:

"Do not download any 'antivirus software' containing the OS name!"

Edit:
    OP:I have the virus and I has no internet! helppppp!111!!one

OP: Can get on the internet in safe mode Now what?!

:facepalm2: ******* READ THE THREAD!
    Are you telling me to read the thread, or OP?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Are you telling me to read the thread, or OP?
    Telling the OP.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Bit bored here.

ReputationRep:
    I have a question:

Lets say you've left the main forum page open for a while. You can go to the most recently posted in threads, but obviously they are different because you haven't refreshed the page for ages.

Why is it that, if you don't refresh the page, you click on the thread and it takes you to the thread, but you click on the username and it takes you to someone different? Why is there this disparity between these two things?

:ta:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by sil3nt_cha0s)
    I have a question:

Lets say you've left the main forum page open for a while. You can go to the most recently posted in threads, but obviously they are different because you haven't refreshed the page for ages.

Why is it that, if you don't refresh the page, you click on the thread and it takes you to the thread, but you click on the username and it takes you to someone different? Why is there this disparity between these two things?

Ask here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=5

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure secretmessages will answer my question instead of redirecting me :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chrosson)
    How do you mean?
    I nearly deleted the contents of my C drive the other day with a dodgy batch file:p:

That's probably what he means.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    I nearly deleted the contents of my C drive the other day with a dodgy batch file:p:

That's probably what he means.
    Batch files are easily checkable, hence why I posted the code to a sample one I made and tested myself. Surely as long as the download is controlled and checked by the admins (and remains open source), there would be very little chance of harm.

Of course, people are notorious for not reading instructions. In my example above, I have no idea how it will behave on vista or 7, or what will happen on non-english versions of xp, but people could quite easily overlook it.

In the end, it was just a little suggestion. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...1#post24823531
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by alexsheppard11)
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...1#post24823531
    Can't help with Haskell. :ta:
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by sil3nt_cha0s)
    I'm sure secretmessages will answer my question instead of redirecting me :yep:
    If you look at the URL of the user on those pages, it's something like &lastposter= which means instead of linking you to the profile of the person the post was made by, the widget (or whatever, it happens in multiple places) links you to the user who last posted in the forum/thread. So when you go and click on it, it'll think "hmm, who's currently the last poster for this forum/thread?" and send you there instead. I don't know why it's set up like that, but that's why it happens.

ReputationRep:
    Why does everyone seem to have viruses in the Tech forum at the minute?! :lolwut:

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.