Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spikeymike)
    It's nowhere near MacBook territoty. :p:

I wish they'd stop making crappy ass netbook spec'd laptops.

I'm looking to get one of the Core i range for Xmas. :teeth:
    i concur
    not everyone wants a low power single core, and no optical drive

only noobs would buy this, then complain, its so slow, and, how to i listen to this cd?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by alexsheppard11)
    i concur
    not everyone wants a low power single core, and no optical drive

only noobs would buy this, then complain, its so slow, and, how to i listen to this cd?
    Urgh... yeah. :facepalm2:

Laptop guide is going through a revamp at the minute since students will be looking to buy laptops pretty soon.

Going to have to research all of the ULV processors and make a benchmark graph of them.

ReputationRep:

Laptop guide is going through a revamp at the minute since students will be looking to buy laptops pretty soon.

Going to have to research all of the ULV processors and make a benchmark graph of them.
    ah yes, i should be back to looking in tech when i finish my exams

in fact, i have one this afternoon:eek:

ReputationRep:

If it's possible, would you be able to put the guide in the Wiki itself, rather than a link to the thread? :awesome:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Mad Vlad)
    If it's possible, would you be able to put the guide in the Wiki itself, rather than a link to the thread? :awesome:
    I had this discussion with secretmessages not long ago actually. :teehee:

Do we keep guides and discussion seperate i.e. laptop guide in the wiki and laptop discussion in one big thread or keeping it all together in one big thread.

I don't know what people want, survey results would be handy.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    ah yes, i should be back to looking in tech when i finish my exams

in fact, i have one this afternoon:eek:
    Good luck! :borat:

ReputationRep:

Do we keep guides and discussion seperate i.e. laptop guide in the wiki and laptop discussion in one big thread or keeping it all together in one big thread.

like all wiki's, putting recommended laptops could create mac vs pc conflicts, and laptops being replaced in the wiki.
    with it in a thread, its safe, but only mike can edit it. it also means the laptops and questions are all together
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team

We will likely be encouraging the expansion of the wiki, judging by the survey results, but we need to discuss it further first. You'll get your results in due course :p:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    like all wiki's, putting recommended laptops could create mac vs pc conflicts, and laptops being replaced in the wiki.
    with it in a thread, its safe, but only mike can edit it. it also means the laptops and questions are all together
    AFAIK, the whole idea is to increase the usage/awareness of the Wiki.

Even if there are "unauthorised" changes in the Wiki, you can undo them. I'm just not keen on seperating the guide and discussion, I think it's easier to have everything together. :dontknow: If there are things to be changed/added in the guide then sure I'll add it and credit that person for it.

Edit:
    For now, I'm leaving it together until I get the results.

ReputationRep:
    I beg to differ.
    Part of the apple 'thing' is that macbooks aren't really laptops, just as macs aren't pcs, if we just consider popular usage of the term where both laptops and pcs have windows on them. You could list macs as an 'alternative' as they can't really be compared - it's a different operating system and the point of a laptop comparison would be based on hardware, yes?
    Also, is recommended a good idea? It would have to be updated pretty frequently.

ReputationRep:
    Damn. http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/...y-act-repealed
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    No surprises there. Probably won't be enforced anyway though.

ReputationRep:
    I think it has been put in place ot look like they are doing something but in reality and I hope it is not enforced to the letter.

ReputationRep:
    You're not in favour of it?
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    That URL is very misleading.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chrosson)
    I beg to differ.
    Part of the apple 'thing' is that macbooks aren't really laptops, just as macs aren't pcs, if we just consider popular usage of the term where both laptops and pcs have windows on them. You could list macs as an 'alternative' as they can't really be compared - it's a different operating system and the point of a laptop comparison would be based on hardware, yes?
    Also, is recommended a good idea? It would have to be updated pretty frequently.
    aye, i agree macbooks shouldn't be included.

what i mean by recommended, is

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chrosson)
    You're not in favour of it?
    Not of the Digital Economy Act, no. I find its inception and its passage through parliament as abhorrent as the content of the Act itself. It's a dreadful piece of legislation.

(Original post by secretmessages)
    That URL is very misleading.
    Yeah, I thought that. :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Hysteria)
    Morning people.

Good luck Vlad

It went excellently! I'll be really disappointed if I don't get high 80's minimum for it.

ReputationRep:
    my exam was horrid.

in other news, i've just been discussing old nightclubs in the area, and what they used to be like. im only 19, but things have changed loads since i started going clubbing. and generally it seems to have gone downhill... as in, the clubs / decor / facilities themselves.
    like an awesome club i went to a few times, closed ages ago it seems, but its just been over a year

ReputationRep:
    my exam was horrid.

in other news, i've just been discussing old nightclubs in the area, and what they used to be like. im only 19, but things have changed loads since i started going clubbing. and generally it seems to have gone downhill... as in, the clubs / decor / facilities themselves.
    like an awesome club i went to a few times, closed ages ago it seems, but its just been over a year
    Is 19 not a bit young to be reminiscing about the good old days? :shakecane: :motz: :grumble: (finding smilies is fun!)
    Might your experience have been tainted by the idea of new things (back then)/jaded by doing it too much (now)?

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 26, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.