Macs just work and don't get viruses. :nah:

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/...-infected-macs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Vlad)

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1349678
    Linux is completely virus free as well :nah:
    The most amusing part is the reaction to this from the 'gurus'. One of them (more or less) said "Well the user should know better."
    Such breathtaking hypocrisy.

(Original post by Mad Vlad)

Why don't they get viruses? What's the problem with Windows?

ReputationRep:
    Woot, didn't realise a tech society was around.

Just had the unfortunate problem of a 14-hour defrag on the Windows partitions.

I hadn't run the program in so long, primarily because I've been running Ubuntu day in, day out for the past 6 months, with occasional forays to game or view something that's disagreeing with OpenOffice.

Speaking of which, is there a utility you would be able to recommend that would allow me to defrag my ext4 Ubuntu partition?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Lord Hysteria)
    Linux do get viruses just not alot, Windows are targeted more because the majority use Windows, it's probably in every household.

Edit:
    Just had a **** yeah moment, my phone is almost out of power and I'm away out in 10mins so I don't really have time to charge it, but I have a 2nd battery which is fully charged. :grin:
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    (Original post by Tathrim)
    Woot, didn't realise a tech society was around.

Just had the unfortunate problem of a 14-hour defrag on the Windows partitions.

I hadn't run the program in so long, primarily because I've been running Ubuntu day in, day out for the past 6 months, with occasional forays to game or view something that's disagreeing with OpenOffice.

Speaking of which, is there a utility you would be able to recommend that would allow me to defrag my ext4 Ubuntu partition?
    You can't defragment Linux partitions, the filesystem simply doesn't work that way. It shouldn't ever really need it, unless it's been kicking around for a seriously long time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Hysteria)
    Market share. It's clearly demonstrable that Macs and as Chrosson pointed out, Linux are not immune to virus/malware attack (contrary to the Prophet Steve's preachings), but it doesn't happen in anywhere near as significant proportions to Windows simply because viruses and malware (especially those that create zombies for botnets) is big business these days - it's a multi billion dollar black market and it's more sensible to concentrate development on the largest platform.

I'll respond further tonight, after work
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    TBF, Linux is pretty rigid so long as it doesn't have a GUI. Apache is the most well-used HTTP server in the world, and yet it's never had any major security issues. So market share doesn't automatically imply vulnerability to attacks.

There's already been a virus for iPhone OS though, at least jailbroken copies. It makes use of OpenSSH which is usually installed when jailbreaking, but many users fail to set up a password for it, allowing anyone to log in remotely to the device and wreak havoc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dez)
    You can't defragment Linux partitions, the filesystem simply doesn't work that way. It shouldn't ever really need it, unless it's been kicking around for a seriously long time.

Didn't realise that, thanks for the information.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dez)
    TBF, Linux is pretty rigid so long as it doesn't have a GUI. Apache is the most well-used HTTP server in the world, and yet it's never had any major security issues. So market share doesn't automatically imply vulnerability to attacks.

There's already been a virus for iPhone OS though, at least jailbroken copies. It makes use of OpenSSH which is usually installed when jailbreaking, but many users fail to set up a password for it, allowing anyone to log in remotely to the device and wreak havoc.
    That's a good point. It's worth noting though, that Apache is a well maintained application server suite, but it's nowhere near as complex as an operating system. That said, Windows isn't that badly written and the actual core operating system is pretty secure. So hackers have to find novel ways of exploiting the weakest link in the system - the fleshy stupid thing behind the keyboard. In this case, you can't trick an automated application server into installing a screensaver that's laced with a trojan. This is how Linux and OS X are getting targeted.

My original comment regarding market share pertains mainly to the old adage of "getting the most bang for your buck". Malware writers don't have time for smaller platforms. They'll literally only target the platform that's going to make them the most cash as quickly as possible (though that said, a virus that popped up saying that you'd won a lifetime supply of Apple hardware in exchange for your bank details would probably be a pretty effective phishing scam for the OS X platform, seeing as most Apple users seem to have more money than sense. :p:) simply because Malware gets stopped pretty quickly as soon as the Anti-Virus honeypots get hold of it. The ability to churn out new viruses and infect as many computers as possible in the shortest amount of time is crucial to their profitability. Hence, malware writers will mostly target Windows.

ReputationRep:
    exams are finished!:woo:

im back home now, then going back to uni for end of year parties next week

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexsheppard11)
    exams are finished!:woo:

im back home now, then going back to uni for end of year parties next week
    Arright, stop gloating, I've got 3 weeks left, (4 maths and 2 physics papers).

Pah, typical, first CS5 and now this? :mob:

ReputationRep:
    Morgen.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    :yawn:

Very hot today. :erm:

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.