Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey fellas, sorry I have no been around, I have been very busy with stuff (am sure some of you know what I do part time). And I have been on holiday. :woo: How is everyone? I miss TSR and out Tech Soc talks

Hmm, my brother has bought a netbook, Linux. Apparently he has been told if he installs XP it will void the warranty. Is this true?

ReputationRep:
    Just ordered a new netbook, and should be getting Desire by Friday. I feel rich, and filthy
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Puma)
    Hey fellas, sorry I have no been around, I have been very busy with stuff (am sure some of you know what I do part time). And I have been on holiday. :woo: How is everyone? I miss TSR and out Tech Soc talks

Hmm, my brother has bought a netbook, Linux. Apparently he has been told if he installs XP it will void the warranty. Is this true?
    :hi:

I'm stressed with revision, you?

:holmes: I doubt it. Well, I mean they can introduce as many silly rules as they like, so I can't say if it's true or not, but there'd be no reason to void the warranty based on a software installation of any kind :iiam:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Puma)

:hi:

Magawoof looked like a banging time!

Never heard of that one before... :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Puma)

If he takes a disk image of the linux disk before installing XP, then no. It's the same with jailbreaking iphones - as long as you restore it to its original state before taking it back in, there is no way of knowing and hence no grounds to void the warranty on.

Note: this relies on being able to restore it to the original state.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Puma)

i've always said, warranty is for the hardware, not software.

ReputationRep:
    i think, i should go to sleep:holmes:

ReputationRep:
    'Sup People,
    I guess this is where all the techy people hang out?

Anyways, I have a lot of experience of Linux(Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora, Slackware & Gentoo) and have built my own distro from source(LFS). I plan to expand into BSD when I get the chance although I have heard it is only good on servers.

I can program fairly well in python and I have dabbled in Java, C++, PHP, C, Fortran and Perl before.
    I am about to built my first custom rig(i5 750, GTX 285, GA-P55A-UD6 & 6Gb DDR3) and have a very big interest in networking and have hosted my own site - and DNS servers - from home in the past.

I hope to learn something from hanging around here.

So, err yea.
    HAI!!

ReputationRep:
    My brother bought a "brand new" netbook from a well known brand store. I took a look and noted that MSN was installed on it. I took a quick look and the old users email and password was set. Alls I had to do was click 'Sign In'. This intrigued me, so ventured through the files, I found a 'Recieved Files' folder and it had several pictures of a woman in lucrative positions, semi clothes. I delved further, the old users internet history had not been cleared.

This apparently brand new netbook has a lot of data on it. I rang up and they said it was used by a member of staff and/or used as a display or shown to a customer to allow for them to get to grips with it. Luckily I am not a guy who likes to delve into peoples emails without authority (through MSN you can gain email access can't you?). So I formatted the netbook and all was good. Oh and it also had a virus!
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Puma)
    Luckily I am not a guy who likes to delve into peoples emails without authority
    You missed out on an opportunity there :p:

Joking aside, you should've looked into it further or claimed for some kind of compensation after having to look at semi-naked women for the lulz :awesome:

Hi Spoonzy :hi: Did you find us in the societies list or through the wiki?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Puma)
    Oh and it also had a virus!
    You should have asked for compensation or something, seeing as identity theft could have theoretically happened

ReputationRep:
    i can hear birds outside
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    Nice to see some new faces in here. :awesome:

Hai guise. :p: Been busy with filming for GD, new super-secret project. Got a bit of a rest today, except for the half dozen other projects I've got going at the moment.

Am declaring Twitter bankruptcy as I have failed to check it for the past four days. Unread tweets may be into four digits by now...
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    For the first time that I can remember, Google have released a dodgy dev channel version of Chrome :pierre:

I can't really complain, because it's the dev channel, but still. Crashes every 5 minutes
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    Poor match
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    (Original post by secretmessages)
    Poor match
    I figured. Twitter was rather annoyed about it.

ReputationRep:
    i got my results today
    average 73.83%, which i believe is a first:holmes: :woo:

in other news, im back home for the summer, and now that im back online, it is settling in that the people on my facebook news feed, that we would normally comment on random things to each other etc, are now a long way away and i wont be able to see them tomorrow, and the day after, and the day after
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by secretmessages)
    Poor match
    You're a poor match. :ahee:
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by spikeymike)
    You're a poor match. :ahee:

Congrats Alex :congrats:

ReputationRep:
    well, we can't all have it our own way. at least we qualified.

Capello should go, he's too inflexible and predicatable.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.