(Original post by spikeymike)
    IT... databases at the minute. :facepalm2:

Me too, :ciao:
    Back :sexface:

In AI
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I'm stuck bored in a lecture doing the fetch execute cycle... with boxes as memory and paper as data. :facepalm2: Something like that, I have no idea what's going, he's overcomplicating the whole cycle.

I made progress to my scripting in this time though. :ahee:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Scripting is done. :sexface: Small report to write... :blah:

Do you like? :sexface:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1185899
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    Can you spot what I've done to the network providers?
    :no:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by secretmessages)
    :no:
    :facepalm2:

Spoiler:
    Show
    The colour represents the actual network providers logo/name colour. :awesome:
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    :facepalm2:

Spoiler:
    Show
    The colour represents the actual network providers logo/name colour. :awesome:
    :dontknow:

What about Tesco mobile :sexface:
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    What absolute rubbish. Remember I was complaining yesterday about not being told the answers to our assignment? They've just been posted up online, but the question I am interested in says "to be added later". FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    :dontknow:

What about Tesco mobile :sexface:
    I will add the lesser known networks later.

What absolute rubbish. Remember I was complaining yesterday about not being told the answers to our assignment? They've just been posted up online, but the question I am interested in says "to be added later". FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-
    :facepalm2: :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    hey spikey did you get that scripting thing sorted? Sorry went out and totally forgot to check back in my bad!

Still on formal methods tonight i really dont know my maths ,

Using quantifiers, give formal expressions for the following statements, where p, q and r are all
    natural numbers. Do not use the divide operator /

p is a prime number;

cant work out how to display a prime number with out using divide or modulus!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by mprules)
    hey spikey did you get that scripting thing sorted? Sorry went out and totally forgot to check back in my bad!
    Aye... I didn't have the patch package hence patch command not found. :facepalm2:
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    (Original post by mprules)

Still on formal methods tonight i really dont know my maths ,

Using quantifiers, give formal expressions for the following statements, where p, q and r are all
    natural numbers. Do not use the divide operator /

p is a prime number;

cant work out how to display a prime number with out using divide or modulus!
    That's a relatively easy one. :sexface:

p\text{ is prime} \Longleftrightarrow p\in\mathbb{N}\backslash\{1\}\te  xt{ and }(n\mid p, n\in\mathbb{N} \Rightarrow n=1\text{ or }n=p)

I assume the divisor operator is allowed. You could also define the set of primes:

\mathbb{P} := \{p\in\mathbb{N}\backslash\{1\} : n\mid p, n\in\mathbb{N} \Rightarrow n=1\text{ or }n=p\}

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dez)
    That's a relatively easy one. :sexface:

p\text{ is prime} \Longleftrightarrow p\in\mathbb{N}\backslash\{1\}\te  xt{ and }(n\mid p, n\in\mathbb{N} \Rightarrow n=1\text{ or }n=p)

I assume the divisor operator is allowed. You could also define the set of primes:

\mathbb{P} := \{p\in\mathbb{N}\backslash\{1\} : n\mid p, n\in\mathbb{N} \Rightarrow n=1\text{ or }n=p\}
    DOH!! totally got the divisor and divide operator mixed up!!!

Edit , how would you write that in english?
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    p is prime if and only if: p is a natural number other than 1, and if n (some natural number) divides p, either n = 1 or n = p.

A slightly more succinct way of phrasing it would be that p is prime if it has exactly two positive divisors, but that's harder to write in symbols.

ReputationRep:
    God i wish i knew maths cheers dude!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dez)
    p is prime if and only if: p is a natural number other than 1, and if n (some natural number) divides p, either n = 1 or n = p.

A slightly more succinct way of phrasing it would be that p is prime if it has exactly two positive divisors, but that's harder to write in symbols.
    I cannot figure out this TSR reduced latex stuff. Is there a manual somewhere?

Anyway, why not (substitute A for 'for all', E for 'there exists', N for the natural number set, ^ for conjunction and ~ for negation)
    A p in the set of N, p is prime <=> ~E q,r in the set of N, (q*r = p) ^ (p, q =/= 1)

Edit:
    \forall p\in\mathbb{N}. p\text{ is prime}\Longleftrightarrow\neg\ex  ists q, r\in\mathbb{N}.(qr = p) \wedge (p, q \not= 1)
    Yeah! That was a huge trial and error session :facepalm2:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Chrosson)
    I cannot figure out this TSR reduced latex stuff. Is there a manual somewhere?

Anyway, why not (substitute A for 'for all', E for 'there exists', N for the natural number set, ^ for conjuntion and ~ for negation)
    A p in the set of N, p is prime <=> ~E q,r in the set of N, (q*r = p) ^ (p, q =/= 1)
    He's called Dez. :lol:

(Or just quote his post to see how he's done it) :ninja:

ReputationRep:

Indeed, but he doesn't have the 'for all' or the 'there exists' symbols.

Hmm.
    Test: \forall \exists

Edit: :awesome: Aha!
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff

:awesome:

Being a Maths student I'm rather prone to writing stuff in LaTeX, my final year project can't be submitted in any other format in fact. I've attached a useful crib sheet though. I also have a manual from my department but it's too big to attach to a TSR post and I can't be bothered uploading it anywhere else. :p: Though it's mostly about formatting actual TeX documents, rather than inline usage on a forum, so it probably wouldn't be very useful.

Also like I said before, we mathematicians seldom use symbols in such density, words are generally (a) less confusing, and (b) easier to remember. I guess going all-symbols is more useful for you CompSci types, but when your primary form of verbal communication is a blackboard, words generally make life a lot easier.
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf TeX Reference Card.pdf (68.6 KB, 142 views)

ReputationRep:
    I like words, words make sense! Symbolising everything just leads to reading the same sentence over and over till it eventually makes sense

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.