Samsung F4 drive:teeth:
    http://www.aria.co.uk/SuperSpecials/...wsletter170910
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by alexsheppard11)
    Samsung F4 drive:teeth:
    http://www.aria.co.uk/SuperSpecials/...wsletter170910
    Still looking at HDDs? :rolleyes: Technology moves too quickly...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spikeymike)
    Still looking at HDDs? :rolleyes: Technology moves too quickly...
    nah, email newsletter:p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dez)
    Ahoy, me hearties! Happy Talk Like a Pirate Day. :top:
    Yeargh!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Vlad)
    Yeargh!
    You just stubbed your toe vlad? :rofl:

Ahoy me hearties!
    http://www.yarr.org.uk/talk/
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    (Original post by Chrosson)
    You just stubbed your toe vlad? :rofl:

Ahoy me hearties!
    http://www.yarr.org.uk/talk/
    I know the loon who runs that. :woo:

ReputationRep:
    YAY, the Tech Society 1.x has become undead!!! XD

ReputationRep:
    It didn't get locked? :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chrosson)
    It didn't get locked? :lolwut:
    aha, no. some randomer posted in it about a 3D printer:p:

ReputationRep:
    http://www.avreview.co.uk/forum/foru...2445/v/1/cp/1/
    came across this. what do we think about the 2nd post
    "Those people that say HDMI carries a digital signal of 1's and 0's and so the signal either arrives or it doesn't don't know what they're talking about. "

ReputationRep:
    The quality of a HDMI cable is only remotely important if you're running a cable over a long length. At the end of the day, if you get a HDMI cable that meets a particular specification, it'll work and you'll get a perfect picture. It's the same with any digital cable - Cat5e being a notable example; there's no difference between a £2 Cat5e cable and a £30 Cat5e cable - they're both Cat5e, which is the specification that governs how the cable performs. Worth also noting that most people won't need a 20m HDMI cable.

Cable Shop, to me, appears to have a vested interest in ripping off idiots with overpriced cables, so I don't think I could trust their opinion to be totally objective.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    http://www.avreview.co.uk/forum/foru...2445/v/1/cp/1/
    came across this. what do we think about the 2nd post
    "Those people that say HDMI carries a digital signal of 1's and 0's and so the signal either arrives or it doesn't don't know what they're talking about. "
    Digital signals can still be imperfect, as anyone who's used a MiniDV camera can tell you. Just search YouTube for DV artifacts and you'll see what can happen to a supposed digital signal.

With regards to HDMI, the specification only really stretches as far as 15m, so anything above that and you'd need some very well-constructed cable to avoid having the signal drop. Anything below 5m, you're unlikely to get any problems with dropouts even with the cheapest cable.

The biggest problem with buying cheap cables is the build quality, some of them are very poorly constructed and can fall apart if unplugged and re-plugged constantly. Having said that, for most people, the cable will be plugged in once and never looked at again, so that's not as likely to be an issue.

The sentiment that it either arrives or it doesn't is (perhaps annoyingly to some people) true, except HDMI doesn't just take the entire Blu-ray disc and shove it down all at once. Like all cables, it carries a stream of data that can be interrupted at any time. What makes digital different is that it doesn't require anywhere near as much shielding as analogue does, because it's very hard to confuse a 1 with a 0, even if the signal's been garbled. So the only way you can really lose data is if the cable is too long and thin to maintain the signal properly, which as I said before, is not going to be an issue for cables below 5m.

Did that make sense? :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dez)
    Digital signals can still be imperfect, as anyone who's used a MiniDV camera can tell you. Just search YouTube for DV artifacts and you'll see what can happen to a supposed digital signal.

With regards to HDMI, the specification only really stretches as far as 15m, so anything above that and you'd need some very well-constructed cable to avoid having the signal drop. Anything below 5m, you're unlikely to get any problems with dropouts even with the cheapest cable.

The biggest problem with buying cheap cables is the build quality, some of them are very poorly constructed and can fall apart if unplugged and re-plugged constantly. Having said that, for most people, the cable will be plugged in once and never looked at again, so that's not as likely to be an issue.

The sentiment that it either arrives or it doesn't is (perhaps annoyingly to some people) true, except HDMI doesn't just take the entire Blu-ray disc and shove it down all at once. Like all cables, it carries a stream of data that can be interrupted at any time. What makes digital different is that it doesn't require anywhere near as much shielding as analogue does, because it's very hard to confuse a 1 with a 0, even if the signal's been garbled. So the only way you can really lose data is if the cable is too long and thin to maintain the signal properly, which as I said before, is not going to be an issue for cables below 5m.

Did that make sense? :woo:
    excellent, both by Vlad and yourself

ReputationRep:
    excellent, both by Vlad and yourself
    :awesome:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Guise... what is this, I don't even... It makes sense to me.

ReputationRep:
    Guise... what is this, I don't even... It makes sense to me.

I'll be honest, I'm struggling to find any information on it... :erm:

[EDIT] Consider "...must be created for each iteration..."
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Mad Vlad)
    I'll be honest, I'm struggling to find any information on it... :erm:

[EDIT] Consider "...must be created for each iteration..."
    Same error. :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    Same error. :sigh:
    Ignore it then. Bloody grammar nazi state.

ReputationRep:
    oh guize, 5 most recent pics (currently)
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/alexsheppard11/
    :awesome:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    RIP HP 6735s (~2.5years old)

Mobo failure.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 26, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.