Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Dez)
    Have you been doing some dodgy business? :p:
    :ninja2:

I found the issue, anyway, so I now have my two tickets for Friday's Euromillions :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Vlad)
    This is a pre-emptive message to everyone who's inevitably whinging about how they don't like the result of the TSR vB3.8 upgrade.

Get over it.
    Stop complaining.
    No, you can't have the old one back.
    :unimpressed:
    What about: I hate the current rep system and I hate the new rep system equally.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexsheppard11)
    some are less exciting, one user gets offers from amazon:p:
    :rofl: I've just read 'Uranus Experiment' guy's reponse to ACS: Law.
    He slapped them down so hard

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chrosson)
    :rofl: I've just read 'Uranus Experiment' guy's reponse to ACS: Law.
    He slapped them down so hard
    reading of emails has to be postponed for a while
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    What gives Microsoft the right to reboot my computer just because I leave it idling for 20 minutes :rant:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by secretmessages)
    What gives Microsoft the right to reboot my computer just because I leave it idling for 20 minutes :rant:
    Problem?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by secretmessages)
    You left your computer idling on Patch Tuesday evening? :teehee:

Schoolboy error.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    Windows updated my keyboard driver today, and it's overwritten all my custom keybind hacks. :rant:

Though it's my fault for not backing up the files I changed, I suppose. Bit annoying though. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spikeymike)
    Problem?
    ya if you leave something downloading e.g. a torrent of leaked emails
    when you restart, the program wont run again until you logon/return

ReputationRep:
    10 days to the next Ubuntu 6 month release, toying on jumping ship (to the Debian based Linux Mint, or possibly to Arch).

Thoughts?
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    Is it still brown? :puke:

ReputationRep:
    i just posted in sound and vision.
    i await the fanboys
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    i await the fanboys
    :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dez)
    Is it still brown? :puke:
    it's purple, may be a tinge of maroon in there. brown's still available, but isn't the default colourscheme.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    (Original post by Tathrim)
    it's purple, may be a tinge of maroon in there. brown's still available, but isn't the default colourscheme.
    Ubuntu's design used to be quite neat, but now they seem to be deliberately changing everything just for the sake of being different. Last I heard they'd moved the icons to the left side of the window pane, Mac-style, yet the buttons still act like they do under Windows. :eyeball:

The colour scheme has never been brilliant (orange is an odd base colour to choose), but going for a murky, mud-brown colour scheme was an awful idea. Maybe it's a testament to the preferences of those who use it, but personally, I can't stand having a dark and murky desktop screen. I much prefer the Windows/Mac colour schemes, which are very bright and clear.

The advantage of Ubuntu is that of course, you can customise it how you want, but even that seems to be steadily seeping out the window in favour of so-called user friendlyness. It's worse than what Windows does in a way, since the configurability is still there, but Ubuntu is deliberately making it inaccessible, which is inordinately frustrating. Macs tend not to restrict access under the hood, but simply sweep it under the rug, so it's out of sight for most users, which is a much better way of doing things IMO.

I was once a Ubuntu user, I ran 6.10 as my main OS for ages, but no more. Windows 7 is wiping the floor with it at the moment, and until Canonical get their act together I won't be going near Ubuntu. :woo:

ReputationRep:
    backing up pictures before i go back to uni:awesome:
    Attached Images

• PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    backing up pictures before i go back to uni:awesome:
    Too much pr0n dude. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dez)
    Ubuntu's design used to be quite neat, but now they seem to be deliberately changing everything just for the sake of being different. Last I heard they'd moved the icons to the left side of the window pane, Mac-style, yet the buttons still act like they do under Windows. :eyeball:

The colour scheme has never been brilliant (orange is an odd base colour to choose), but going for a murky, mud-brown colour scheme was an awful idea. Maybe it's a testament to the preferences of those who use it, but personally, I can't stand having a dark and murky desktop screen. I much prefer the Windows/Mac colour schemes, which are very bright and clear.
    I don't care about the default, my Ubuntu box is just as bright, as I use the default GNOME theme with a nice shade of green and some Guild Wars 2 concept art. :teeth:

(Original post by Dez)
    The advantage of Ubuntu is that of course, you can customise it how you want, but even that seems to be steadily seeping out the window in favour of so-called user friendlyness. It's worse than what Windows does in a way, since the configurability is still there, but Ubuntu is deliberately making it inaccessible, which is inordinately frustrating. Macs tend not to restrict access under the hood, but simply sweep it under the rug, so it's out of sight for most users, which is a much better way of doing things IMO.
    Yeah, but if you wanted TRUE customisability, you'd go down the Arch/Gentoo route, and that can be as bad as, if not worse than, getting a Hackintosh running. I find that Ubuntu with Ubuntu Tweak has just the right amount of cutomisation that I need without being overwhelmed by lots of options, like what can happen in Arch or Gentoo.

(Original post by Dez)
    I was once a Ubuntu user, I ran 6.10 as my main OS for ages, but no more. Windows 7 is wiping the floor with it at the moment, and until Canonical get their act together I won't be going near Ubuntu. :woo:
    The one reason why I stick with them is because I feel it is the most polished of all distros out there, apart from possibly Fedora, and it has by far and away the largest repo source, made larger by Ubuntu Tweak and getdeb. Once you change things about, I've found it's not that bad. Also, before you say anything else, I've tried Mint, and don't like the GUI.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spikeymike)
    Too much pr0n dude. :p:
    nah, shooting in RAW:holmes:
    my photos take up 90GB, 9685 files, 162 folders.
    the remaining 4GB, is my lightroom catalogue... and contains 7795 folders apparently:lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    pretty:awesome:

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 26, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.