• PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Dez)
    Damn, JANET. :woo:
    You bet :sexface:

(Original post by Mad Vlad)
    It's an Orange San Francisco. Probably the best £78 I've ever spent. Specs comparable to Android smart phones that are far more expensive. It's truly remarkable how much you get for your money with it! :yep:

What phone are you running these days?
    Looks quite cool from a quick Google actually! :top:

I may or may not have an iPhone

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by secretmessages)
    You bet :sexface:

Looks quite cool from a quick Google actually! :top:
    It's excellent. :yep:

I may or may not have an iPhone
    You're dead to me, now. :noway:

Spoiler:
    Show
    I joke, but seriously... why? :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    I don't have an iphone. :pierre:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crazy Paving)
    I don't have an iphone. :pierre:
    This pleases me greatly. :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    This pleases me greatly. :awesome:
    Are ipods still acceptable in your eyes? :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crazy Paving)
    Are ipods still acceptable in your eyes? :ninja:
    Vaguely acceptable, as the competition has never really produced anything that can truly compete. That said, standalone mp3 players are a bit redundant now, what with smart phones all coming with pretty competent media players.

ReputationRep:
    What is everyone's opinion on the NotionInk Adam?

ReputationRep:
    Vaguely acceptable, as the competition has never really produced anything that can truly compete. That said, standalone mp3 players are a bit redundant now, what with smart phones all coming with pretty competent media players.
    i agree, mp3 players won't be around much longer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tathrim)
    What is everyone's opinion on the NotionInk Adam?
    Looks interesting.

ReputationRep:
    Oh and guise, check the new speed test result in my sig/profile :sexface:
    What!? How?
    Have you sectioned off part of the university-wide badnwidth for personal use?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chrosson)
    What!? How?
    Blatantly running speed test on the university's WAN gateway... :dry:

ReputationRep:
    :rolleyes: your loss
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    (Original post by alexsheppard11)
    i agree, mp3 players won't be around much longer
    The main limitations on using a smartphone as a music player are space and battery life. Apple have done a lot for the latter while their rivals work on the former. If the two combined, we'd probably have the perfect gadget. If only. :rolleyes:
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team

Spoiler:
    Show
    I joke, but seriously... why? :lolwut:
    I don't know It was either that or an Android, and I already have an iPod Touch so I trusted the interface of the iPhone (I was bitterly let down by my previous touch screen Samsung). I don't regret it :p:
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    What!? How?
    I don't know how, apart from the fact that my department seems to have a completely uncapped connection to JANET or however it works, whereas the rest of the university has a cap of about 10Mb/s or less :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    I don't know how, apart from the fact that my department seems to have a completely uncapped connection to JANET or however it works, whereas the rest of the university has a cap of about 10Mb/s or less :teehee:
    Sounds like some enterprising compsci has done some illicit behind the scenes work....
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    Sounds like some enterprising compsci has done some illicit behind the scenes work....
    :shh: Who's complaining?

ReputationRep:
    WTF!? http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereport...ounds_off.html

Sounds like the Prophet Steve is getting cross that things aren't going his way. He's made some pretty outrageous statements in this tirade, by the looks of things.

ReputationRep:

Sounds like the Prophet Steve is getting cross that things aren't going his way. He's made some pretty outrageous statements in this tirade, by the looks of things.
    Interesting. Predictions are a silly thing to do when it comes to tech, but claiming most of the web is in html5 is completely absurd.
    That said, this paragraph struck me as spot on (note edit) -
    Microsoft was a real example of a company using open systems (that will surprise some of Mr Jobs' disciples) and in any case "open" didn't always win. "We think open versus closed is just a smokescreen to hide the real issue of what is best for the customer - an integrated or fragmented approach." The customers, he said, just wanted something that worked and he was confident that this approach would triumph over the "mess" that was Android's multiple variants and different app stores.
    Linux distros in general are quite a good example. About as open as possible, but they're such a fragmented mess it's untrue. Specific versions of libraries, 32-bit versions of libraries, libraries that have to be downloaded from some pokey little site, all needed for getting a program working.
    Linux lovers cite package management as a great feature. It is. But it doesn't live up to the other claim - it has everything you could ever want. Google and add/rmv programs is my package manager.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff

Some of what he says has some merit to it, though not a lot in that tirade. Certainly the HTML5 video thing is complete rubbish, there's tons of Flash video about, and it's not just small websites using it. Given HTML5 video still isn't supported in Firefox or IE, I can't see it taking over all that fast.

But on 7" iPad clones, I'd agree they're likely to fail. It's just such an awkward size, too small to see what's going on and too large to fit in your pocket. Plus there's the fact that they're really nothing more than iPad clones, their entire existence is due to the iPad, which has been in development for years. These tablets have been rushed out to compete in the new marketplace, with no care or planning involved. It's just not gonna work.

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.