Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Crazy Paving)
    :awesome:

yeah, I didn't think post rep counted towards points, I thought only personal/profile rep did. This doesn't exactly help sort out the problem of rep circles and stuff. I mean, instead of 28, you only have to wait 1 day to rep someone again. :lolwut:

OMG AND YOU CAN'T EDIT QUICKLY WITHOUT ANYONE NOTICING ANYMORE :mad:
    You have to wait more than 1 day, because you have to spread a lot of rep around to others before being able to rep the same person again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by secretmessages)
    You have to wait more than 1 day, because you have to spread a lot of rep around to others before being able to rep the same person again.
    It's near enough a day, if you use all ten quite quickly. I'm still confused with the reset. Is it after you've made a last rep, you have to wait 24 hours. :eyebrow:

ReputationRep:

yeah, I didn't think post rep counted towards points, I thought only personal/profile rep did. This doesn't exactly help sort out the problem of rep circles and stuff. I mean, instead of 28, you only have to wait 1 day to rep someone again. :lolwut:

OMG AND YOU CAN'T EDIT QUICKLY WITHOUT ANYONE NOTICING ANYMORE :mad:
    This is a little frustrating.
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    It's near enough a day, if you use all ten quite quickly. I'm still confused with the reset. Is it after you've made a last rep, you have to wait 24 hours. :eyebrow:
    No, you have to rep more than ten other people before you can rep the same person again, I'm sure of it. Well, almost sure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Vlad)
    This is a little frustrating.
    I know, I don't like the look of my posts when there's that horrible edit thing there. :mad:

Guess what (since it's been a while) I literally got my flashy on the day of the change. :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    Well I've received rep from the same user yesterday and today, and also think I have repped the same user today and yesterday. :erm:

@sm, as quote didn't show up

ReputationRep:
    I know, I don't like the look of my posts when there's that horrible edit thing there. :mad:

Guess what (since it's been a while) I literally got my flashy on the day of the change. :awesome:
    Good work! That was some deficit to make up!
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    Well I've received rep from the same user yesterday and today, and also think I have repped the same user today and yesterday. :erm:

@sm, as quote didn't show up
    *tests*

You may be right, actually :beard: The limit is set far too low in that case...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Vlad)
    Good work! That was some deficit to make up!
    Thanks. :awesome: And I just got you an sm post rep too. :ahee:

*tests*

You may be right, actually :beard: The limit is set far too low in that case...
    No, I AM right. :yep: (:smug:)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexsheppard11)
    i like being able to rep 4 posts a day...
    i scroll up and click on a random 4:awesome:
    Haha, seems other people in tech soc have suddenly realised what a great idea this is.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    Breaking news! Unsecured wifi networks are, well, unsecured. http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...iresheep-wi-fi :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dez)
    Breaking news! Unsecured wifi networks are, well, unsecured. http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...iresheep-wi-fi :p:
    Unless I'm too tired to think straight, there's a misunderstanding here.
    Facebook and twitter use https logins....so usernames and passwords cannot be snooped, si? Hence the carefully worded "having your private details stolen out of thin air", and the screenshot which notably does not show passwords.

So where does "Logging in to someone else's Facebook account" come from? Yeah I get I can read facebook IM going on while I snoop, wall posts etc, which is all very exciting for those sad computer geeks (waaaaiiiit a minute....) but it hardly seems newsworthy.

Or did I miss a memo?
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    (Original post by Chrosson)
    Unlmess I'm too tired to think straight, there's a misunderstanding here.
    Facebook and twitter use https logins....so usernames and passwords cannot be snooped, si? Hence the carefully worded "having your private details stolen out of thin air", and the screenshot which notably does not show passwords.

So where does "Logging in to someone else's Facebook account" come from? Yeah I get I can read facebook IM going on while I snoop, wall posts etc, which is all very exciting for those sad computer geeks (waaaaiiiit a minute....) but it hardly seems newsworthy.

Or did I miss a memo?
    The initial login is encrypted, yes. But the rest of the session isn't. Every time you load a page on Facebook/Twitter, you need to send it your session cookie to verify that you have previously logged in. That cookie can be stolen if it's sent over unencrypted wifi, which allows someone else to impersonate you. That's how this extension works, there's more about it on their website.

It's extremely common for websites to protect your password by encrypting the initial login, but surprisingly uncommon for websites to encrypt everything else. This leaves the cookie (and the user) vulnerable. HTTP session hijacking (sometimes called "sidejacking") is when an attacker gets a hold of a user's cookie, allowing them to do anything the user can do on a particular website. On an open wireless network, cookies are basically shouted through the air, making these attacks extremely easy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dez)
    The initial login is encrypted, yes. But the rest of the session isn't. Every time you load a page on Facebook/Twitter, you need to send it your session cookie to verify that you have previously logged in. That cookie can be stolen if it's sent over unencrypted wifi, which allows someone else to impersonate you. That's how this extension works, there's more about it on their website.
    Aaaaah yes, makes sense now.
    The dangers of cookies :cookie:
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    Evening guise :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    Evening secretmessages. :awesome:

ZOMG. Super Mario world SNES. :nutcase:
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    Evening guise :awesome:
    :ninja:

• PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    Evening secretmessages. :awesome:

ZOMG. Super Mario world SNES. :nutcase:
    SNES :love:

(Original post by Dez)
    :ninja:

Why the ninja? :p:

ReputationRep:
    SNES :love:

Why the ninja? :p:
    I'm referring to the ghost house in your usertitle, in case you didn't realise. :cool:

Super mario was one of my faves, but so was Zelda: A link to the past.
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    I'm referring to the ghost house in your usertitle, in case you didn't realise. :cool:

Super mario was one of my faves, but so was Zelda: A link to the past.
    I did realise :yep: Loved all the Super Mario Bros series, except SMB2, that was a bit of a weird one :erm: Never played Zelda, ever :getmecoat:

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 26, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.