Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gamer91)
    but if you want a highly priced 13" you could get a thinkpad, which would double up as a snow sledge/offensive weapon/hammer/coffee strainer and you can take it with you into space should you ever happen to become an astronaut.

although I've only got a little netbook/netvertable and my desktop atm, my sister is borrowing my laptop (its a bit on the heavy/large side so I never really took it anywhere, however it is far nicer to program on than my netbook, 1024x600 is inhumane).
    I've got a good little laptop along with my desktop.

My laptop is a 15.6" HP G61. Technically it is my wifes, but I use it enough. It was fairly cheap and does remarkably well for itself, given that it was only £400. it manages to run sims 3 without issue and that's on intergrated graphics.

My desktop is a custom build which is now around 3 and a half years old, but is still ticking over well enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    Bringing a 17" laptop to university is a pain. Too big and bulky. Recently, I've found myself eyeing up those 13" white MacBooks people have, their lack of noise when typing, screen size and their portability. Jealous. :ashamed:
    You are nothing to me now... :sigh:

X-series Thinkpad. Surely?

ReputationRep:
    Bringing a 17" laptop to university is a pain. Too big and bulky. Recently, I've found myself eyeing up those 13" white MacBooks people have, their lack of noise when typing, screen size and their portability. Jealous. :ashamed:
    Lenovo Thinkpad Edge 13.

I have the matte black one. I hate glossy laptops.

It's even priced reasonably - £400-500.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lareneg)
    I hate glossy laptops
    I hate glossy screens and the reflection in them. I wish more laptops had matte screens.
    Are there any advantages to glossy screens I wonder :holmes:
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Chrosson)
    I hate glossy screens and the reflection in them. I wish more laptops had matte screens.
    Are there any advantages to glossy screens I wonder :holmes:
    Better colour - you just need the right environment

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by secretmessages)
    Better colour - you just need the right environment
    Ah, cheers.
    I find it quite irritating that I've been thus far unable to use a laptop outside. The matte screen one was closest but it simply didn't go bright enough to be visible.
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    Ah, cheers.
    I find it quite irritating that I've been thus far unable to use a laptop outside. The matte screen one was closest but it simply didn't go bright enough to be visible.
    Indeed, that's the same difficulty I get. Matte screens keep reflection to a minimum, but on a sunny day it's just too bright outside to be able to see anything; Glossy screens are bright enough but reflect everything so you end up looking at a reflection of yourself :p:
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    (Original post by secretmessages)
    Indeed, that's the same difficulty I get. Matte screens keep reflection to a minimum, but on a sunny day it's just too bright outside to be able to see anything; Glossy screens are bright enough but reflect everything so you end up looking at a reflection of yourself :p:
    Get a Mac? :p: Never tried it out in sunlight, but it's supposed to be quite decent.
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Dez)
    Get a Mac? :p: Never tried it out in sunlight, but it's supposed to be quite decent.
    :hmmm:

I don't leave the house enough to warrant it :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    x.
    I need three screens to reply to your personalities pm.
    One to read my message, one to read your response and one to compose my response to your response.
    :sigh:

I need three screens to reply to your personalities pm.
    One to read my message, one to read your response and one to compose my response to your response.
    :sigh:

It is hard to keep track.

(Original post by gamer91)
    but if you want a highly priced 13" you could get a thinkpad, which would double up as a snow sledge/offensive weapon/hammer/coffee strainer and you can take it with you into space should you ever happen to become an astronaut.

although I've only got a little netbook/netvertable and my desktop atm, my sister is borrowing my laptop (its a bit on the heavy/large side so I never really took it anywhere, however it is far nicer to program on than my netbook, 1024x600 is inhumane).
    Lenovo Thinkpad Edge 13.

I have the matte black one. I hate glossy laptops.

It's even priced reasonably - £400-500.
    (Original post by Mad Vlad)
    You are nothing to me now... :sigh:

X-series Thinkpad. Surely?
    I'm sorry, guys but I can't help but feel attracted to those MacBooks over the Thinkpads. Sony Vaio E/F series - good alternative in your opinions? They seem to also look the same and possess the same type of keyboard. :holmes:

ReputationRep:

It is hard to keep track.

I'm sorry, guys but I can't help but feel attracted to those MacBooks over the Thinkpads. Sony Vaio E/F series - good alternative in your opinions? They seem to also look the same and possess the same type of keyboard. :holmes:

The end line with laptops tends to be you get what you pay for. Vaio, Lenovo and Macbook laptops are expensive, but tend to be much better built and last longer. Best advice you can ever take is to go into a shop and try them out - or find a friend with one. The Thinkpad Edge, Vaio E/F Series and Macbook all have the same 'Chiclet' style keyboards - and I prefer the Edge's keyboard over the Vaio's. I can type as fast on it as on a standard keyboard, which is fairly impressive (110wpm+). As I'm sure you know, the Macbook also has a fantastic keyboard.

ReputationRep:
    What happened there? :lolwut:

(110wpm+)
    :zomg:
    Have you done some kind of course? I can type faster than average joe but...christ.

ReputationRep:
    LOL I just booted up my PC, and was welcomed by Windows announcing it's a counterfeit copy (even though I genuinely bought it).

So, I clicked the "Get Genuine" option, and half a second later it popped up saying "Activation Successful" and restored my lovely Aero theme.

Oh, Windows.

ReputationRep:
    new camera lens guys :awesome:

bai student loan

ReputationRep:
    :zomg:
    Have you done some kind of course? I can type faster than average joe but...christ.
    Nope. I have 130wpm on the Facebook typing test, but that was down to luck more than anything. Just tried an online one which gives you a passage to type and I get 105-115wpm consistently

(with 1 or 2 mistakes usually)

What happened there? :lolwut:
    You're too fast. I copied the image URL from Google search results. Late night amateur mistake. :pierre:

Somewhat tech related, for anybody that hasn't seen this - they have to watch this. It's amazing. The editing is perfect, I've never seen editing on this scale and with such skill. A girl remixed 170 films that came out this year into one video. The songs fit perfectly so that the lyrics, scenes, settings and dialogue all correlate to each other. "fall away" part of the lyric of one song is played as several scenes from several films shows a person falling. Each scene is related to the next.

I recommend watching it.

The amount of work that must have gone into making something like this is mindblowing.

ReputationRep:
    Somewhat tech related, for anybody that hasn't seen this - they have to watch this. It's amazing. The editing is perfect, I've never seen editing on this scale and with such skill. A girl remixed 170 films that came out this year into one video. The songs fit perfectly so that the lyrics, scenes, settings and dialogue all correlate to each other. "fall away" part of the lyric of one song is played as several scenes from several films shows a person falling. Each scene is related to the next.

I recommend watching it.

The amount of work that must have gone into making something like this is mindblowing.
    nice!

ReputationRep:
    A girl remixed 170 films that came out this year into one video.
    Last year*

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 26, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.