The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Staying in the films theme...

:teehee:
Does anyone know what the rectangular things are in this circuit diagram - http://img513.imageshack.us/i/computersciencequestion.jpg/ ?
Looks like a half xor or something...?

From this thread: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1524670
I can't decide how much longer to go for. The fact that said person has no idea what logic gates are is ringing warning bells.
Reply 8622
Original post by Chrosson
Does anyone know what the rectangular things are in this circuit diagram - http://img513.imageshack.us/i/computersciencequestion.jpg/ ?

I can't decide how much longer to go for. The fact that said person has no idea what logic gates are is ringing warning bells.

It's notr a way of displaying the circuti that I've come accross in the logic units that I've just done last term, but i think that it's a half adder, because the comparisons then create a circuit to show majority logic.

Either way, he's got no hope of answering it if he doesn't recognise that the gate is an OR gate. :biggrin:

Tathrim's correct; it's a half adder. I've just got him told, though... he's got some serious problems if he doesn't know what a logic gate is.
Original post by Mad Vlad
Tathrim's correct; it's a half adder. I've just got him told, though... he's got some serious problems if he doesn't know what a logic gate is.

'Sup Vlad

Having no knowledge of logic gates is certainly a bad thing. To be fair though, I only knew of the existance of AND, OR, NOT, NOR, NAND and XOR gates but that was all remembered from A level electronics
Original post by kingrudding
'Sup Vlad

Having no knowledge of logic gates is certainly a bad thing. To be fair though, I only knew of the existance of AND, OR, NOT, NOR, NAND and XOR gates but that was all remembered from A level electronics

Hey dude :smile:

Definitely.

AND, OR, NOT, NOR, NAND and XOR is all there is, isn't there? :erm: Besides, any logic gate can be implemented with a combination of NAND gates.

The half-adder is simply an XOR and an AND connected within 1 package, so it's more of a combinational logic device. :smile:
Hey dude :smile:

Definitely.

AND, OR, NOT, NOR, NAND and XOR is all there is, isn't there? :erm: Besides, any logic gate can be implemented with a combination of NAND gates.

The half-adder is simply an XOR and an AND connected within 1 package, so it's more of a combinational logic device. :smile:

I see, that makes sense. It's been a long time since I did electronics, so I wasn't sure if I had just forgotton. I do vaguely recall how to make an NAND gate astable using a capicitor and a resistor.

It's actually been around 3 years or so since I was here in the guise of wiwarin, so much has changed in that time. I swear that most moderators that were here have now left.
I see, that makes sense. It's been a long time since I did electronics, so I wasn't sure if I had just forgotton. I do vaguely recall how to make an NAND gate astable using a capicitor and a resistor.

It's actually been around 3 years or so since I was here in the guise of wiwarin, so much has changed in that time. I swear that most moderators that were here have now left.

Bloody hell dude! I had no idea! How you doing!? :hugs:

Yeah... things have changed a lot since then. Who'd have thought I'd have been modded, 3 years ago... :lolwut:
Bloody hell dude! I had no idea! How you doing!? :hugs:

Yeah... things have changed a lot since then. Who'd have thought I'd have been modded, 3 years ago... :lolwut:

I am doing well thank you. I've recently got married actually and have sort of settled down into a proper job, rather than working at the cinema. How about yourself?
I am doing well thank you. I've recently got married actually and have sort of settled down into a proper job, rather than working at the cinema. How about yourself?

Congratulations! :biggrin:

Got married and am now working many many hours while finishing my degree, as well as modding on here. :yep:
Congratulations! :biggrin:

Got married and am now working many many hours while finishing my degree, as well as modding on here. :yep:

Congratulations.

Seems like all of the old guard grew up and settled down. Do you know if Blissy and Daveo stayed together as I seem to recall they started going out?
Congratulations.

Seems like all of the old guard grew up and settled down. Do you know if Blissy and Daveo stayed together as I seem to recall they started going out?

Thank you!

They got married too, I believe :smile:
Thank you!

They got married too, I believe :smile:

That really is amazing. There are so many people who have left that I remember. One really big shock though was that Dazya was not only tamed, but actually is respectable.
That really is amazing. There are so many people who have left that I remember. One really big shock though was that Dazya was not only tamed, but actually is respectable.

Indeed. :biggrin:
Original post by Tathrim
It's notr a way of displaying the circuti that I've come accross in the logic units that I've just done last term, but i think that it's a half adder, because the comparisons then create a circuit to show majority logic.

Either way, he's got no hope of answering it if he doesn't recognise that the gate is an OR gate. :biggrin:

Ah right, I'm used to it being completely broken down into gates. So the entire thing appears to be a full adder then (?)
Reply 8635
Ah right, I'm used to it being completely broken down into gates. So the entire thing appears to be a full adder then (?)

Nope, it's a majority logic circuit using two checks. (i.e. the first half adder outpus a result to the or gate to say that the value of the majority of inputs is 1 if both A and B are 1, or sends a one to the other half adder, whcih is checked against K).
Original post by Tathrim
Nope, it's a majority logic circuit using two checks. (i.e. the first half adder outpus a result to the or gate to say that the value of the majority of inputs is 1 if both A and B are 1, or sends a one to the other half adder, whcih is checked against K).

Oh dear, fail observational skills :colondollar:
I have never before appreciated what a good program Microsoft OneNote (2010) is. So good for ... well, note-taking.
Reply 8639

Didn't Derwent have that event first? :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending