Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    This is regarding the Kindle 3 - Yep, it's a very good case. You have to buy it separately. One edition has a light that pops out of the corner (night light) and the other edition is just a normal case. Yeah, in the long term, it is worth it. The 3G one is a waste of money. They add an extra £50 and it's not justified, get the wifi only version if you ever buy it. It doesn't replace books - the feel and smell of paper (:coma:) but the display is fantastic (like reading an actual book) - you don't get eye strain like you do with LCD screens, battery life goes for a month without charge and it can store hundreds of books. It feels comfortable in your hands and it accounts for small things (disadvantages of books) such as carrying lots of books around and lying in bed sideways (:awesome:). It's hard, if you've ever done it, to read a book this way. Kindle doesn't have that problem. It has page turn buttons on both sides of the device.

It is without a doubt, the best E-Reader on the market. PDF support is crap but you should just convert any PDFs using the free software, Calibre. I'm pleased with it anyway. :awesome:
    The unlighted case was pulled, apparently the metal hooks that supported the Kindle actually ended up shorting out the device, causing battery/crashing issues (on the lighted version the metal hooks power the bulb). So it's £50 on the case or shop elsewhere, but if it's a decent case, then hey, it's only money. :moon:

3G version is definitely pointless, if I want to browse the web I'll do it on my iPhone. :ta:

ReputationRep:
    Woo, have now ordered these parts form Scan. Due to arrive on Monday

Intel Core i5 2500K
    1GB MSI GTX 560 Ti Twin Frozr II/OC
    Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD4, Intel P67
    8GB (2x4GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR3
    Gelid Tranquillo
    1TB Samsung HD103SJ Spinpoint F3
    60GB OCZ Technology Vertex 2E, 2.5"
    Samsung SH-S223C/BEBE 22x DVD±R, 12
    650W Antec TruePower New, Modular
    Antec 100 One Hundred, Black Mid Tower

And yes, I already have the OS needed to install the machine (Linux Mint for now and a 32-bit Vista disc), along with a Windows 7 licence (except the disc which is at home - that'll be borrowed from a friend using my win 7 licence key to upgrade the machine to 64-bit (which is why I'm using an 8GB kit).

ReputationRep:
    My new specs are the business :sexface:

ReputationRep:
    Got my Kindle on thursday

(Original post by Dez)
    3G version is definitely pointless, if I want to browse the web I'll do it on my iPhone. :ta:
    ^Disagree with this somewhat. The browser isn't anything special, but the ability to buy books pretty much anywhere on the planet is amazing. If you're on a road / plane trip and forget to buy things at home it's great. I still got the wifi one because I couldn't justify the extra £50 though :P

(Original post by Dez)
    The unlighted case was pulled, apparently the metal hooks that supported the Kindle actually ended up shorting out the device, causing battery/crashing issues (on the lighted version the metal hooks power the bulb). So it's £50 on the case or shop elsewhere, but if it's a decent case, then hey, it's only money. :moon:

So I see by the product reviews and discussion threads. I have that (unlighted) case. No problems with it all (rebooting or battery draining). Wonder if I should wait for a problem to transpire or just email them asking for a lighted cover. :holmes:

(Original post by -WhySoSerious?)
    Got my Kindle on thursday
    Good isn't it? Half the features only get activated when you connect with your Amazon account. Took me a while to figure that out.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    I've ordered it. :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Vlad)
    My new specs are the business :sexface:
    Does this require a rare change in avatar, Vlad?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tathrim)
    Does this require a rare change in avatar, Vlad?
    Perhaps. :awesome:

I'd suggest that it nearly being half way through February would require a change of your avatar... :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Vlad)
    Perhaps. :awesome:

I'd suggest that it nearly being half way through February would require a change of your avatar... :p:
    It's still winter (just) so I was just about getting around to changing it.

EDIT: it's done.

ReputationRep:
    Interesting point:

The Manlove Forensics website has (unsurprisingly) been slashdotted after being mentioned on Top Gear :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    Hey fellas.

Been a long time since I've logged in, been stalking though...

How is everyone?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Puma)
    Hey fellas.

How is everyone?
    Busy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Puma)
    Hey fellas.

How is everyone?
    Battered and bruised, started doing parkour a couple weeks back, and it's not friendly if you get it wrong.... :banghead:

Oh, and a new desktop arrives to be built at 3pm-ish.

How've you been, Puma?
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    :hi:

ReputationRep:
    Awesome: http://www.layersmagazine.com/photos...and-words.html

I'm tempted to give it a go but it looks like it's going to take a while!
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by The Stig)

Very cool. I don't have the patience myself though :p: An automated tool of some kind would be great.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Stig)

i'm going to have a go at that:awesome:

ReputationRep:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...php?p=29896630

Just hought I'd post the thread here, I'd like some help on this.

ReputationRep:
    Two words. Tech blogs. Do it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Planto)
    Two words. Tech blogs. Do it.
    :K: What are you suggesting?

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 26, 2011
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.