Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Tech Society 2.0 watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I have a divide on my HDD, one is the C Drive (58.2GB) and the other the D Drive (80GB). Now, the C drive is nearly full but I have no idea how, I moved loadsof stuff over to the D drive and only left 11BG of music and a few bits. That leaves roughly 45GB free. Then if we think of system files and installations it should not be full at all. Anyone any ideas?

As a side note, the C drive wont increase in size if I lower the D drive...

ReputationRep:
    Disk cleanup is quite good on vista and 7 - will check recycle bin and system temp folder.
    Also try http://windirstat.info/ (run as admin if on vista/7 so you can look in some protected directories).

And yes, the process of extending your C drive is a lot more complex than you might think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spikeymike)
    x

Is running the Heaven Benchmark from Unigine considered overkill for the nature of the testing of graphics for the netbooks? 'Cause I'm just running it. It's hilariously bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chrosson)
    Disk cleanup is quite good on vista and 7 - will check recycle bin and system temp folder.
    Also try http://windirstat.info/ (run as admin if on vista/7 so you can look in some protected directories).

And yes, the process of extending your C drive is a lot more complex than you might think.
    Your not wrong. I Corrupted mine trying to do that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kenny_uk)
    Your not wrong. I Corrupted mine trying to do that.
    His not wrong?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    His not wrong?
    Huh?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kenny_uk)
    Huh?
    G8D is finding new imaginative ways to be a grammar nazi. I quite liked it.

ReputationRep:
    My BenQ monitor has arrived and it is very nice. So bright as well, it's next to an old TFT one and the difference in quality is massive

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wizard710)
    My BenQ monitor has arrived and it is very nice. So bright as well, it's next to an old TFT one and the difference in quality is massive
    Side by side comparisons make or break a purchase! Good to feel vindicated though eh?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    Side by side comparisons make or break a purchase! Good to feel vindicated though eh?
    Yeah. Going to leave it at home when I go to uni cos I already have a second monitor for my laptop but I'll be having it back when I build my system next year

ReputationRep:
    I've just been around to my grandparents house to set up their new laptop. They ignored my advice and bought it from Curries, and they've ended up being sold a quad core i5 for 8GB of RAM :l

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    I've just been around to my grandparents house to set up their new laptop. They ignored my advice and bought it from Curries, and they've ended up being sold a quad core i5 for 8GB of RAM :l
    Jesus christ. I wouldn't give my parents something like that. There is just no need for all that power

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wizard710)
    Jesus christ. I wouldn't give my parents something like that. There is just no need for all that power
    I know, I told them they'd get ripped off by a salesperson if they went into a high street store. Apparently a dual core processor isn't enough for standard use anymore :\

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    I know, I told them they'd get ripped off by a salesperson if they went into a high street store. Apparently a dual core processor isn't enough for standard use anymore :\
    Well checking e-mails online can be a intense business. I hear plain text isn't enough for some people and they use this new fangled thing called formatting. There have even been rumours of images as 'attachments', but that seems a bit farfetched.

Just in case though, I think a good rule of thumb is 100MB of RAM for each unread e-mail in your inbox, and when buying a processor make sure the number after the 'i' is the maximum number of e-mails you send in a day.

I just hope they weren't hoping to use the internet for general browsing - the current computer is woefully underpowered for that. They would need a graphics card costing at least £200 and probably a couple of external hard drives. After all, you need lots of room for your internet cache and those 'flash' things will really put your computer through its paces. 1GB of disk space per domain visited per month seems reasonable.

People just don't realise the requirements for computers these days :shakecane:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chrosson)
    Well checking e-mails online can be a intense business. I hear plain text isn't enough for some people and they use this new fangled thing called formatting. There have even been rumours of images as 'attachments', but that seems a bit farfetched.

Just in case though, I think a good rule of thumb is 100MB of RAM for each unread e-mail in your inbox, and when buying a processor make sure the number after the 'i' is the maximum number of e-mails you send in a day.

I just hope they weren't hoping to use the internet for general browsing - the current computer is woefully underpowered for that. They would need a graphics card costing at least £200 and probably a couple of external hard drives. After all, you need lots of room for your internet cache and those 'flash' things will really put your computer through its paces. 1GB of disk space per domain visited per month seems reasonable.

People just don't realise the requirements for computers these days :shakecane:
    Oh don't worry, the one he sold them has a dedicated graphics card too!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    This is why I'm thankful my dad is a Telecoms engineer. He's the one sorting my grandparents out. Also, he's got a nouse for technical issues, so is a useful backboard for an technical problems.

ReputationRep:
    Has anybody seen Nokia's new advert?

:lolwut:
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Gofre)

Is that for real? :nothing:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by secretmessages)
    Is that for real? :nothing:
    I had to double check it was Nokia's actual YouTube account to be sure, so unfortunately it is. I'll love Nokia forever and ever for gifting us with the 3310, but I don't think they will want this advert to be thing they get remembered for :\

(Original post by Gofre)

Not a phone advert surely. Nokia have entered the doll and accessory business.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.