Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    Will the Intel graphics in the 11/13" MBA run Minecraft well?
    I have intel 3000HD graphics in my Dell laptop (which is 3 years old now) and it runs minecraft alright but I have to turn the render distance down and it gets damn annoying when it rains cos it doesn't do will with lots of particles on the screen so if I was paying £800 for one then I wouldn't recommend it
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    I take back everything I said about the Virgin Media router a couple of weeks ago. It's crap.

Also, I really need a new computer, this one is dying :sad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    I'm stuck between going for a MacBook Pro or MacBook Air for university. My current laptop is too big and heavy to carry around and Gofre's postings about MacBooks are swaying me.

They seem so overpriced but attractive.
    I've had an MBP 13" (sent back due to a dead pixel and ended up waiting for the new Airs) and now own a 2011 MBA 13" so I can offer you a review of both:

MBP:
    Pros: Optical drive, more ports and slightly faster CPU.
    Cons: The screen is much more glossy than the Air. Roughly 50% heavier (4.5lbs). Lower screen resolution.

MBA:
    Pros: Weight (2.9lbs), sharper screen, very quick solid state hard drive.
    Cons: Slightly less battery life- seem to be getting about 30 mins less out of it compared to the MBP. You're still looking at a good 6 hours at sub-50% brightness, even more without WiFi.

Overall I'm glad I bought the Air, it's definitely the better choice considering I'll be taking it everywhere at uni.

Any other questions about them feel free to ask

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by secretmessages)
    I take back everything I said about the Virgin Media router a couple of weeks ago. It's crap.

Also, I really need a new computer, this one is dying :sad:
    :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    Hai guise!!!

I hope I haven't gone insane here, but is this the Apple society now? :P

In an unrelated note, Dell's U2711 and U2311 are on their last runs. The products replacing them are lower resolutions.

P.S. Hotel WiFi is shocking.

(Original post by Flibbles)
    I've had an MBP 13" (sent back due to a dead pixel and ended up waiting for the new Airs) and now own a 2011 MBA 13" so I can offer you a review of both:

MBP:
    Pros: Optical drive, more ports and slightly faster CPU.
    Cons: The screen is much more glossy than the Air. Roughly 50% heavier (4.5lbs). Lower screen resolution.

MBA:
    Pros: Weight (2.9lbs), sharper screen, very quick solid state hard drive.
    Cons: Slightly less battery life- seem to be getting about 30 mins less out of it compared to the MBP. You're still looking at a good 6 hours at sub-50% brightness, even more without WiFi.

Overall I'm glad I bought the Air, it's definitely the better choice considering I'll be taking it everywhere at uni.

Any other questions about them feel free to ask
    Thanks for the info. This is hard. I might have to look into alternatives so I'm not completely wasting money paying for something that I don't fully need. :holmes:

(Original post by Mad Vlad)
    I take a break for a little while and this happens?!

Snap out of it, man. :lolwut:
    Without your constant Anti-Apple presence, it's so very easy to fall into temptation. :sad:

(Original post by Tathrim)
    :pierre:
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    Hai guise!!!

In an unrelated note, Dell's U2711 and U2311 are on their last runs. The products replacing them are lower resolutions.

Didn't you get the memo? :erm:

ReputationRep:
    Hai guise!!!

:eek: link?
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    Okay, need some opinions.

What would you do? Upgrade from 3.1GHz to 3.4GHz, or from 4GB RAM to 8GB, assuming it costs the same to do so?

ReputationRep:
    Okay, need some opinions.

What would you do? Upgrade from 3.1GHz to 3.4GHz, or from 4GB RAM to 8GB, assuming it costs the same to do so?
    GHz isn't really a great indication of how good a CPU is. What are the CPU models?
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Chrosson)
    GHz isn't really a great indication of how good a CPU is. What are the CPU models?
    3.1GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5
    3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7

Do you need more than that?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    3.1GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5
    3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7

Do you need more than that?
    Yeah, processor model number? Then we can compare like cores, cache size, die size, TDP...
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by spikeymike)
    Yeah, processor model number? Then we can compare like cores, cache size, die size, TDP...
    Whatever the new iMacs have

Sorry Vlad...

ReputationRep:
    So basically the far right of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMac_%2...9#Unibody_iMac
    i.e. i5 2400 and i7 2600

But thinking about it I (for my use case) would go for the RAM doubling regardless of processor, merely because I run VMs and a lot of other programs at the same time - 4GB is just not enough.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Whatever the new iMacs have

Sorry Vlad...
    Lol, the upgrade from 4GB to 8GB RAM is £160, should cost like £40 more at max. The **** are they playing at.

How can a 1TB to 2TB cost another £120, thats ridiculous, 1TB HDD is £45 where 2TB is about £60.

Can't help you if Apple think Tech Specs are as vanilla as that.
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    Lol, the upgrade from 4GB to 8GB RAM is £160, should cost like £40 more at max. The **** are they playing at.

How can a 1TB to 2TB cost another £120, thats ridiculous, 1TB HDD is £45 where 2TB is about £60.

Can't help you if Apple think Tech Specs are as vanilla as that.
    Just answer the question tbh If you had to go for one or the other..
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Chrosson)
    So basically the far right of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMac_%28Intel-based%29#Unibody_iMac
    i.e. i5 2400 and i7 2600

But thinking about it I (for my use case) would go for the RAM doubling regardless of processor, merely because I run VMs and a lot of other programs at the same time - 4GB is just not enough.
    Hmm okay :holmes: I've hardly ever used 4GB before so I don't know.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Just answer the question tbh If you had to go for one or the other..
    I'd go for i5 and 4GB RAM
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    I'd go for i5 and 4GB RAM
    You're so confusing, but thanks :yy:

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 26, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.