Tech Society 2.0 watch

Announcements
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Tathrim)
    That's the time perception gas emitting from your Apple product... :P

For comparison, what's the spec of each machine?
    Ha :p:

The iMac is quad core 3.4GHz i7, 8GB RAM. My old desktop.. now that's a good question.. I think it was dual core 2.16GHz with 4GB of RAM. Fairly bad processor to be honest, can't remember exactly what it was though

ReputationRep:
    Why are Fujitsu Siemens so fecking awkward?! They can't put a proper switch on for the wireless on my laptop, so it means it takes so much effort to get the wireless working on Ubuntu...
    (Original post by secretmessages)

The iMac is quad core 3.4GHz i7, 8GB RAM. My old desktop.. now that's a good question.. I think it was dual core 2.16GHz with 4GB of RAM. Fairly bad processor to be honest, can't remember exactly what it was though
    Gee, I wonder why it's quicker on the Mac? :p:

ReputationRep:

I'm not surprised it runs quicker, you've picked the most powerful iMac they sell ;D
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Wednesday Bass)
    Gee, I wonder why it's quicker on the Mac? :p:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    I'm not surprised it runs quicker, you've picked the most powerful iMac they sell ;D
    :hand: I'm still virtualising it though, I'd expected it to be slower tbh :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    :hand: I'm still virtualising it though, I'd expected it to be slower tbh :dontknow:
    Virtualisation has been hardware accelerated for some time now. On a machine with that much grunt, I'd be taking the damn thing back if it couldn't run Windows without it slowing down.

In fact, just take it back now. You spent all that money on Apple hardware just to use Windows. I am disappoint.
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Mad Vlad)
    Virtualisation has been hardware accelerated for some time now. On a machine with that much grunt, I'd be taking the damn thing back if it couldn't run Windows without it slowing down.

In fact, just take it back now. You spent all that money on Apple hardware just to use Windows. I am disappoint.
    I needed to use Microsoft Office :hand: :p:
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    I needed to use Microsoft Office :hand: :p:
    Office for Mac? :holmes:

I won't suggest iWork. Think there's a reason Apple haven't released a new version in 2.5 years? :p:
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Dez)
    Office for Mac? :holmes:

I won't suggest iWork. Think there's a reason Apple haven't released a new version in 2.5 years? :p:
    How expensive is it? I don't want to pay for things :hand: But I have a fully functional version of Office 2010 with seemless integration :sexface: so that'll do for now.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    How expensive is it? I don't want to pay for things :hand: But I have a fully functional version of Office 2010 with seemless integration :sexface: so that'll do for now.
    Pay for things? Knickers to that. :p:

Spoiler:
    Show
    If you really want to pay for it, £37 from S4S: http://www.software4students.co.uk/Microsoft_Office_for_Mac_2011-details.aspx
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Dez)
    Pay for things? Knickers to that. :p:

Spoiler:
    Show
    If you really want to pay for it, £37 from S4S: http://www.software4students.co.uk/Microsoft_Office_for_Mac_2011-details.aspx
    Thanks Have you used it/know what compatibility etc is like?
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    Thanks Have you used it/know what compatibility etc is like?
    Only major thing it's missing is VBA, apart from that it runs fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dez)
    So it turns out my monitor hates running a PC via HDMI. Looks absolutely terrible. Unfortunately, this means I have to use VGA.
    I've always wondered, is there meant to be a visible difference between VGA and HDMI (because I can't see one)? Or is it the other features (like the audio) that you're wanting?
    Edit: meant VGA and DVI, not a big follower of the AV side of tech

You get a CPU that is literally 6x more powerful (going by passmark benchmarks) and you expect it to be slower!?
    :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    I don't suppose there's anybody here with Lion running the latest build of Geektool?

(Original post by Chrosson)
    I've always wondered, is there meant to be a visible difference between VGA and HDMI (because I can't see one)? Or is it the other features (like the audio) that you're wanting?
    I can only speak for use with an XBox 360, but the difference between the two is night and day for me. I assume it's similar with PCs too.
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Dez)
    Only major thing it's missing is VBA, apart from that it runs fine.
    :ta:

You get a CPU that is literally 9x more powerful (going by passmark benchmarks) and you expect it to be slower!?
    :rofl:
    Is it really 9x more powerful? :sexface:

Anyway but yeah okay, quit laughing, it's not that stupid to expect virtualisation to be a hell of a lot slower than running an OS natively.

ReputationRep:
    Is it really 9x more powerful? :sexface:

Anyway but yeah okay, quit laughing, it's not that stupid to expect virtualisation to be a hell of a lot slower than running an OS natively.
    ****, brain died for a few minutes. 6x, see edit.

From an earlier post where you gave your exact spec, your old CPU had a passmark score of 1565. Your new one has a score of 8927. So pretty much 6x, yes.
    I suppose you can be forgiven if you haven't used virtualisation for a while, I remember it used to be pretty horrendous.
    This was for various reasons, one of which being the OS consumed a significantly higher proportion of resources back then (as opposed to it being applications now) so virtualising an OS would be akin to running two copies of crysis (or whatever people use these days) on full settings on the same machine.
    Hardware acceleration is also no small factor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    I can only speak for use with an XBox 360, but the difference between the two is night and day for me. I assume it's similar with PCs too.
    Oops, meant DVI (see edit), but they seem similar enough to each other for the question to remain relevant (?)
    Says something depressing about my eyes really.

What a disaster the UK Cyber Security Challenge has turned out to be. Glad it didn't cost anything and I have the requisite experience from my MSc to make up for it :pierre:
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    ****, brain died for a few minutes. 6x, see edit.

From an earlier post where you gave your exact spec, your old CPU had a passmark score of 1565. Your new one has a score of 8927. So pretty much 6x, yes.
    I suppose you can be forgiven if you haven't used virtualisation for a while, I remember it used to be pretty horrendous.
    This was for various reasons, one of which being the OS consumed a significantly higher proportion of resources back then (as opposed to it being applications now) so virtualising an OS would be akin to running two copies of crysis (or whatever people use these days) on full settings on the same machine.
    Hardware acceleration is also no small factor.
    That's still very good. I've used virtualisation recently, on my old desktop, I was virtualising Windows 7 on Ubuntu and that was dreadful, and it slowed down the host OS as well so I was probably just basing it on that. Annoyingly though I can't seem to get good graphics/video card support on my virtualised Windows at the moment :hmmmm:
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    Edit: meant VGA and DVI, not a big follower of the AV side of tech
    VGA gets a bit ghosty at high resolutions, but provided you use a decent enough cable, even that can be overcome. Unfortunately my screen treats HDMI as a video input rather than a PC input, so it goes into TV mode (looks great for movies, **** for desktops). Not useful really.
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    Switching between Mac and PC keyboards is so confusing :nooo:

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.