Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    How are you powerless?
    As Chrosson said, I have no Admin access. And I can't log in on my account on safe mode.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    (Original post by Wednesday Bass)
    As Chrosson said, I have no Admin access. And I can't log in on my account on safe mode.
    This is why I like working in a small business. No need for massive bureaucracy or the dreaded MS Exchange server.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blueray)
    Where do I get a DVI to HDMI adapter???
    AMazon? Ebay? anywhere really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dez)
    This is why I like working in a small business. No need for massive bureaucracy or the dreaded MS Exchange server.
    It is a small business, but we outsource the IT support. There's only about 10 people work for the company.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    It is a small business, but we outsource the IT support. There's only about 10 people work for the company.
    Oh dear.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dez)
    Oh dear.
    I think it's because my boss is pretty much afraid of computers when they go wrong. His computer was blue screening on start up yesterday so I suppose it's coming in handy having them on retainer at the moment.

To be honest, if I'd had proper access I would have sorted it myself. I hate how little control I have at work - I even have to use *shudder* IE8...
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    I think it's because my boss is pretty much afraid of computers when they go wrong. His computer was blue screening on start up yesterday so I suppose it's coming in handy having them on retainer at the moment.

To be honest, if I'd had proper access I would have sorted it myself. I hate how little control I have at work - I even have to use *shudder* IE8...
    How vile. All our office uses Macs, which while bringing in its own set of problems, at least keeps my interactions with IE to a minimum. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dez)
    How vile. All our office uses Macs, which while bringing in its own set of problems, at least keeps my interactions with IE to a minimum. :p:
    My brother uses Chrome but the boss tells him off for it - it's purely because the IT guys won't support any problems with it (like there'll be any problems with Chrome!).

I never realised how much IE hates Google Maps. It's absolutely awful and craps out IE whenever I try to zoom in. I've come close to throwing the machine out of the window in an IE rage.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    My brother uses Chrome but the boss tells him off for it - it's purely because the IT guys won't support any problems with it (like there'll be any problems with Chrome!).

I never realised how much IE hates Google Maps. It's absolutely awful and craps out IE whenever I try to zoom in. I've come close to throwing the machine out of the window in an IE rage.
    IE is such a fail. I'm guessing since you're on version 8 that also means you're running Windows XP? :erm: I'm not sure I'd survive with that, such ancient software would piss me off to no end. Can't say it would endear to me very much for a company to expect me to write modern, well-designed websites on obsolete, unserviceable computers. Yet another reason to avoid big businesses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dez)
    IE is such a fail. I'm guessing since you're on version 8 that also means you're running Windows XP? :erm: I'm not sure I'd survive with that, such ancient software would piss me off to no end. Can't say it would endear to me very much for a company to expect me to write modern, well-designed websites on obsolete, unserviceable computers. Yet another reason to avoid big businesses.
    Yeah, it's XP through a server. It runs what we need it to (just about), all we really need is Excel, Word, SQL Server (we do have a central server for our database), and a couple of other time/project management programs. Though we do have a bit of inequality between the software on different machines. There's some machines running Office 2007, some on Office 2003, and there's some even still running Office 2000. Dear God.

ReputationRep:
    Why are so many big producers of software so bad?

I mean, I try to close adobe reader on a single page text document and it derping freezes on me? It then proceeds to do this to 4 out of the next 5 documents.

Like...pretty much any alternative to adobe reader is an improvement. The built in viewer inside IE9 is an improvement!

I simply don't understand how a company can allow a piece of software to wallow like that while competitors run rings around them. IE6,7,8 used to be another example until 9 cruised in to be actually quite nice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chrosson)
    I simply don't understand how a company can allow a piece of software to wallow like that while competitors run rings around them. IE6,7,8 used to be another example until 9 cruised in to be actually quite nice.
    Optimism and overconfidence. It's a bad thing, but that's what it seems to boil down to. You should see the other side in a compny somewhere, it's quite interesting to sit back and watch the inter office politics.

(I have an internship over this summer where I'm working for a medium-sized corporation, and problems arise even at that size).

iTunes is bloaty as hell.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    aye, but I don't use it except to sync my iPod touch and rip CDs (for now). Otherwise, I use VLC and have done with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    It's demoted it's own Space on my Mac now, the only time I need to see it is to sync my iPhone. Otherwise I have iTunes controls in my menu bar and a script displaying song information on my desktop =P

Anyone here have google plus?

ReputationRep:
    Moi. It's a bit sparse, but hey ho, it's invite only, so that's not surprising.

(Original post by Tathrim)
    Moi. It's a bit sparse, but hey ho, it's invite only, so that's not surprising.
    Keeps it more exclusive that way

ReputationRep:
    yus

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexsheppard11)
    yus
    How is it?

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.