Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Tech Society 2.0 watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wednesday Bass)
    How is it?
    quiet, i don't really go on it due to many/most still posting on facebook.

ReputationRep:
    Got myself a nice little hoard of tech today. A new 360 controller, some comply foam tips for my headphones, a magic mouse for my mac (Honestly Apple, the name's just cringeworthy) and some rechargeable batteries. Plus a couple of books. And lunch. God I need to start saving for uni
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    (Original post by G8D)
    iTunes is bloaty as hell.
    (One of) The best things about getting my new Mac was finally being able to uninstall iTunes from my desktop PC. It runs like a dog on Windows, absolutely terrible. Bit better on OS X, but I still dislike it rather a lot - and not being able to replace it easily kinda rubs salt into the wounds...
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    The Chrome dev channel on Lion finally has (basic) support for forward and back gestures :coma:

ReputationRep:
    Rockmelt's Chrome extensions now only work during the first few minutes of browsing... :lolwut:
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    I tried Chrome the other day. No bookmarks sidebar, so went back to Firefox. Shame really, it was much nippier, and that was the only major thing it was missing. But I browse almost exclusively using my bookmarks, I don't want them hidden away in a menu or crammed into a horizontal bar.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dez)
    I tried Chrome the other day. No bookmarks sidebar, so went back to Firefox. Shame really, it was much nippier, and that was the only major thing it was missing. But I browse almost exclusively using my bookmarks, I don't want them hidden away in a menu or crammed into a horizontal bar.
    I love the horizontal bar. It's pretty much all I use. I can't remember the last time I used a bookmarks sidebar. Probably when I was still using Internet Explorer at, like, 11.

:ditto: It's right there beside the URL bar and it doesn't get in the way. If it gets too crowded, I just place some nice folders on the horizontal bar.
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    :ditto: Same.

A sidebar just uses too much screen real estate for my liking. Sure I have a widescreen monitor but I only use half of it for Chrome so I can use the other half to do other stuff while I can still keep my eye on the Internet. Though I can see the appeal if you have loads of bookmarks and want to get to them really quickly.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    Since most websites stick to an archaic 1024px fixed width layout, I'm not exactly wanting for horizontal screen real estate, it just ends up being whitespace if nothing else. Vertical screen space on the other hand is on a premium, so the fewer bars present the better.

I've never counted my bookmarks, but there must be well over 100. I have 11 main folders (that probably wouldn't fit side by side on a bar) and a number of sub-folders for organising things that I don't necessarily want to have to click on to get to the contents inside.

Basically, I need my sidebar. It's a core feature in Firefox, IE and any other browser you care to name, except for Chrome. I wouldn't mind that if there was an addon that brought one in, but there isn't. I don't know how such a glaring feature could escape the browser, but until Chrome gets a sidebar I won't be switching to it, and that's a little sad really.

ReputationRep:
    cant believe my nus extra card has expired.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dez)
    yes for the sidebar

Spent the morning browsing 9Gag and I come across Bohemian Ragecomic. Hands-down the greatest face meme picture I've seen on the internet...

http://d3uwin5q170wpc.cloudfront.net...27009_460s.jpg

Also with the recent HP shenanigans, anyone here bagged a Touchpad/Pre 3? They're going real cheap at the moment...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    Also with the recent HP shenanigans, anyone here bagged a Touchpad/Pre 3? They're going real cheap at the moment...
    Tried, but can't find them anywhere.

ReputationRep:
    I spent a couple of hours trying to get a touchpad, but it quickly become apparent it wasn't going to happen. Plus I've seen that it's supposed to be quite laggy (Somebody hacked WebOS onto an iPad 2 and it ran about 50% quicker) and it's heavier than I'd want, so in hindsight I'm quite glad I didn't get one. I'll just put the money towards a proper tablet later on [=

ReputationRep:
    I gots a touchpad =D Managed to reserve it last night at a minute past 8pm at argos and collected it this morning after the price drop

ReputationRep:
    Touch pad will have Android soon, I think.

Kinda gutted I didn't buy one at that price.

It'd be nice to have all my mobile devices running Android unofficially.

ReputationRep:
    I suppose one bright side to it's diabolical opening run is that now that they've sold the whole lot off, web OS actually has quite a large user base. Best Buy USA managed to shift most of their 270,000 units, for example. I wouldn't be surprised if the number of Touchpads in use was decent compared to the number of Android tablets in use right now. It will be interesting to see how this affects dev support, or if anybody's going to try and acquire WebOS for themselves now.

ReputationRep:
    3 screen setup complete :awesome:

I've got my SSD back from repair too

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.