Turn on thread page Beta

Tech Society 2.0 watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Some of those are horrific!

ReputationRep:
    http://repl.it/ 0.o

Edit: nvm that, the technology itself...https://github.com/kripken/emscripten/wiki :zomg:
    I should really keep up to date with tech news.

It's amazing how the price of RAM has dropped - I thought my friend was exaggerating when he told me the other day, but it turns out he wasn't joking. I paid ~£60 for my RAM when I built my PC a year ago. Ebuyer, where I bought it all from, is selling the exact same item (same product code and everything) for just under £20 now :zomg: Might get me some more as I'll probably need it for my MSc dissertation which will involve a number of VMs.

I'm about to download the BF3 beta and will be watching carefully to see how my graphics card copes. It's an ATI Radeon 5750 512MB, capable of running all Source powered games maxed out at 1920x1080 at a solid 60FPS so I hope it's okay as I don't want to have to spend any more money :sadnod:

(Original post by Chrosson)
    Today I discovered what the snapshop feature of virtualbox actually does.

Before now I just thought it was a glorified screenshot function :facepalm2:
    :teehee:

Spoiler:
    Show
    To be fair, I've not had a lot of luck with VirtualBox's snapshot functionality. IIRC it only lets you have one at a time and I've run into issues with restoring them... VMWare does it much better (as with most things, to be honest )

ReputationRep:
    Some people just put it so well :moon: https://plus.google.com/115094562986...ts/Di6RwCNKCrf

(Original post by ch0llima)
    :teehee:

Spoiler:
    Show
    To be fair, I've not had a lot of luck with VirtualBox's snapshot functionality. IIRC it only lets you have one at a time and I've run into issues with restoring them... VMWare does it much better (as with most things, to be honest )
    Hmm, I got quite excited when I saw the structure of http://www.virtualbox.org/manual/images/snapshots-1.png
    Maybe that just wouldn't work though.

I would say that it being free makes up for it, but that would be somewhat contradictory given my rants.

ReputationRep:
    I have a feeling that my laptop's fans will be covered in hair due to my dog (have been having mild over heating issues recently).

Not sure if want to open it up or not.
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    Solved the Facebook timeline issue. Add everyone to the 'Restricted' smart list :holmes:

Doesn't really work as I'd hoped but it's enough.

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, I'm unable to load flash player on google chrome. So I can't watch any youtube videos etc. Any solutions for this? I been googling etc for past 2-3 days for answer.. but no luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lehmber Hussainpuri)
    Hi everyone, I'm unable to load flash player on google chrome. So I can't watch any youtube videos etc. Any solutions for this? I been googling etc for past 2-3 days for answer.. but no luck!
    Have you tried uninstalling flash then reinstalling flash?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    Have you tried uninstalling flash then reinstalling flash?
    Yep. Flash player works fine on Firefox and IE. It's just Google Chrome.. so annoying.

ReputationRep:
    MSc dissertation which will involve a number of VMs.
    Suddenly struck by curiosity (I have a vauge interest in VMs myself).
    What's your dissertation going to be about?

Suddenly struck by curiosity (I have a vauge interest in VMs myself).
    What's your dissertation going to be about?
    It's intended that I use a virtual network to perform an investigation into/evaluation of botnet detection and defence mechanisms.

I still don't have a clear idea about how it's all going to work however :pierre:

ReputationRep:
    It's intended that I use a virtual network to perform an investigation into/evaluation of botnet detection and defence mechanisms.

I still don't have a clear idea about how it's all going to work however :pierre:
    Sounds interesting.
    Maybe your first stage should be socially engineering the network admins to get them to allow you to turn the uni network into a botnet.
    Then you could DDoS large sites and see if they notice. If they notice then you ask them what gave it away. Improve on that aspect, rinse and repeat.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds interesting.
    Maybe your first stage should be socially engineering the network admins to get them to allow you to turn the uni network into a botnet.
    Then you could DDoS large sites and see if they notice. If they notice then you ask them what gave it away. Improve on that aspect, rinse and repeat.
    Sounds perfectly legal... :p:

ReputationRep:
    EPS power extension cable has arrived, mac seems to be working....
    pictures to follow soon:awesome:

Oh my.

ReputationRep:
    tada
    http://alexsheppard.blogspot.com/201...-up-logon.html

ReputationRep:
    Just to note that the method you list (netplwiz.cpl or w/e) didn't work (Win7 Home Premium 64bit) for some reason - I ended up using http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s...rnals/bb963905

ReputationRep:
    Worked an absolute treat for me (Win 7 Professional 64bit). Cheers!

ReputationRep:
    iFail.

The hypewagon's backfired this time around. When you build up suspense and fail to deliver, it can really tarnish a product launch, especially when you release such a mediocre product.

Ladies and Gents, I present to you: The iPhone 5 4S.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    Real yawn-fest this year. :blah: Updated innards, but no new features (bar software stuff that just copies what Android already does) and the same mediocre design. I really don't like the iPhone 4, the edges dig into your hands and the glass front and back make it feel like a china doll.

That said, I'll probably still end up getting one. 3GS needs replacing, and the 4S is a bit better than the 4 at least...

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.