Turn on thread page Beta

I find the iPhone 4 actually quite uncomfortable to hold. The 3GS curved into your palm and it was a lot nicer :moon:

That keynote just came across as plain dull. 45-50 minutes worth of statistics, a load of generic crap people already knew and stuff about iOS 5 which 99.9% of the audience have already extensively played with via developer builds. For an event titled "Let's talk iPhone" (that's pretty blunt and direct - usually, Apple call the media for a presentation but don't say what it is and the speculation keeps people talking) the phone didn't end up being the main focus of the event and felt like an afterthought.

I don't think Tim Cook's got the art of product launches nailed yet like Lord Jobs did. Speaking of which, he was a no show :holmes:

I think Apple needs to change their strategy if they want to keep people interesting.

The iPhone needs to precede the announcement/launch of the same generation iPod touch and iPad if it has any chance of "wowing" the masses.
    The iPhone is the main Apple mobile device, it should not arrive 8 months after Apple tech with similar specs has been out.
    I (and no doubt plenty of other people) second guessed the update to the iPhone purely by virtue of the iPad 2's specs. As a result it is is old news, it is only competing with current gen Android devices and won't touch on the up-and-coming.

ReputationRep:
    :facepalm:

My TV's dying, and I WAS using the same screen as a desktop monitor.

My room has no aerial socket, and all I really watch is on BBC iPlayer, so I go to buy a dedicated monitor.

This morning (the day it's due to arrive) I realise it doesn't have an HDMI port, so I have to buy a DVI - HDMI cable, an Xbox to RCA cable and an RCA to headpone/PC cable to play on my 360 Slim with sound.

Why do i order things when I'm half asleep?

As for Apple, I stopped paying attention to them once I got myself an Android phone. If my iPod touch breaks, I'll just get another one, and carry my apps over.

Keynote attention is also generally non existent now. Watching MSBUILD was a mistake, when news sites have live blogs you can skim read after the fact in half the time.

ReputationRep:
    Someone commented "Was it a fatal case of underwhelmed"
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    Ubuntu 12.04 will be called 'Precise Pangolin' :beard:

ReputationRep:
    TIL what a pangolin is.

"The pangolin is often compared to a walking pine cone or globe artichoke. [...] Pangolins can also emit a noxious smelling acid from glands near the anus, similar to the spray of a skunk."
    Sounds about as pleasant as an encounter with Ubuntu :ahee:

(Original post by ch0llima)
    I find the iPhone 4 actually quite uncomfortable to hold. The 3GS curved into your palm and it was a lot nicer :moon:
    Aye but it also feels like a cheap piece of plastic.

Well, ****.

ReputationRep:
    Blimey. Came out of the blue but I can't imagine he had a very large hands on job at Apple while dying [as Tim Cook took over] so the company shouldn't really fare much worse. This seems an incredibly harsh attitude, so I will say he was an amazing man in terms of design and marketing. I would be surprised if the world sees a man as talented as Jobs take over any firm like he had done in the past, and although I dislike Apple products I will admit that he is an amazing individual and that it is a great loss that he is dead.

Anyone that negs this is butthurt because I have clearly stated that while I dislike Apple Jobs was ****ing incredible.

(Original post by tface)
    Blimey. Came out of the blue but I can't imagine he had a very large hands on job at Apple while dying [as Tim Cook took over] so the company shouldn't really fare much worse. This seems an incredibly harsh attitude, so I will say he was an amazing man in terms of design and marketing. I would be surprised if the world sees a man as talented as Jobs take over any firm like he had done in the past, and although I dislike Apple products I will admit that he is an amazing individual and that it is a great loss that he is dead.

Anyone that negs this is butthurt because I have clearly stated that while I dislike Apple Jobs was ****ing incredible.
    I made a comment similar a couple of weeks back in this thread (I think this thread anyway).
    I dislike Apple a lot. But I never understood those who took his poor health as a positive, or the prospect of his death similarly.

I'd never wish death by cancer on anyone, having witnessed it first hand it's really not a pleasant way to go.

Anyone feel this may be indicative of things to come wrt Apple?

ReputationRep:

I'd say the most important thing he did was rock the boat of the tech market. Microsoft jumped like they'd scalded to fight for their market share, Google and a multitude of other companies started producing interesting devices to compete with iDevices, quality now had to at least try to keep up with Apple.

Tech advancement only happens with competition. He got the competition going. Don't like the way he did it, but he knew his job, he knew the game, and he did both very well.

Not going to miss him as a person (he has enough people arbitrarily doing that, despite them not actually knowing him), but I will miss what he brought to the table. And I do hope his legacy, the momentum apple gained, keeps going (for the reasons above).
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    :sad:

Regardless of what people think about Apple, he was truly a great man tbh. RIP.

ReputationRep:
    On a completely different note, see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdWkKKSckNk
    Look at the views.
    Then look at likes/dislikes.
    :lolwut:

(Original post by Chrosson)
    On a completely different note, see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdWkKKSckNk
    Look at the views.
    Then look at likes/dislikes.
    :lolwut:
    Fairly common occurrence on Youtube. The view count just freezes with fairly new videos which get popular extremely quickly. It's always that number as well.

ReputationRep:
    Do people forget he founded Pixar too? Shame..

(Original post by Tathrim)
    Do people forget he founded Pixar too? Shame..
    He acquired it :sly:

But I didn't know this until yesterday.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    He acquired it :sly:

But I didn't know this until yesterday.
    I was just coming back to correct this myself. Wiki lists him as a founder with (incorporation) next to it. He was the main owner when they started feature films, so that counts for somethuing, surely.

(Original post by Tathrim)
    I was just coming back to correct this myself. Wiki lists him as a founder with (incorporation) next to it. He was the main owner when they started feature films, so that counts for somethuing, surely.
    It's highly likely that he is responsible for the way Pixar is now (sans Disney influence).

ReputationRep:
    I seem to remember someone in this thread saying Steve Jobs wasn't long for this world when he resigned last month. Sad news.
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    Today's xkcd :cry2:

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.