Turn on thread page Beta

So, did my upgrade to 8GB RAM. Everything feels a lot quicker even though, most of the time, I wasn't maxing out my existing 4GB :holmes: Possibly some kind of weird placebo effect but this will prove invaluable for when I start to hammer it with VMs in the coming days/weeks.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    (Original post by ch0llima)
    So, did my upgrade to 8GB RAM. Everything feels a lot quicker even though, most of the time, I wasn't maxing out my existing 4GB :holmes: Possibly some kind of weird placebo effect but this will prove invaluable for when I start to hammer it with VMs in the coming days/weeks.
    Any decent OS will max out all available RAM. If it's not being used for applications, then it can be used to cache the HDD. Makes things a lot quicker with loading times and so on.
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Dez)
    Any decent OS will max out all available RAM. If it's not being used for applications, then it can be used to cache the HDD. Makes things a lot quicker with loading times and so on.
    I have always wondered why I always seem to be using more RAM, the more I have available. Thank you

(Original post by Dez)
    :ms: that's something I wasn't necessarily aware of. I was simply looking at the performance statistics in the Task Manager and seeing 2.5GB used

ReputationRep:
    What VM technology are you going to use? Considering you're creating botnets, I assume something lightweight like LXCs (or maybe Xen?) to be able to generate a lot of computers? :holmes:
    (Original post by secretmessages)
    I have always wondered why I always seem to be using more RAM, the more I have available. Thank you
    If you're interested and have Windows 7 (Vista may also work), fire up resource monitor, have a look under the memory tab and note the section marked as 'standby'.
    See table A in http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/win...-windows-7/884 and the final post of http://forums.techarena.in/operating...ms/1336503.htm

ReputationRep:
    B B birthday, just about.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/4...d-roaming.html

(Original post by Chrosson)
    What VM technology are you going to use? Considering you're creating botnets, I assume something lightweight like LXCs (or maybe Xen?) to be able to generate a lot of computers? :holmes:
    Currently it's VMWare, but I suppose this is blasphemy :holmes: Open to other suggestions so will give LXC/Xen a look at some point

Spoiler:
    Show
    Shall we say that there are "issues" with my VMWare licence, if you catch my drift... I don't think this is a problem with regards to ethical approval but best look into FOSS or alternative solutions just to be on the safe side :pierre:

ReputationRep:
    Currently it's VMWare, but I suppose this is blasphemy :holmes: Open to other suggestions so will give LXC/Xen a look at some point

Spoiler:
    Show
    Shall we say that there are "issues" with my VMWare licence, if you catch my drift... I don't think this is a problem with regards to ethical approval but best look into FOSS or alternative solutions just to be on the safe side :pierre:
    :nooo:
    Mate (:teehee:), forget the ethical issues, VMware is going to stomp all over your machine if you try running more than say 5 modern OS's - you're running an entire OS, then running multiple OS's on top of that. Xen has the advantage that you're not running a complete OS underneath, but it's still going to have a large per-vm performance hit. I think Tathrim might know a little more about Xen, he did some stuff with Citrix :holmes:

Read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual...virtualization - this way you aren't virtualising the entire hardware for each machine. As you can imagine this helps a reasonable amount.

Of course, I guess that
    a) You've probably thought about this stuff already
    b) If you have true virtual machines it's conceptually simple to simulate a network (the GUIs help). I guess it's very likely possible with LXCs...but maybe harder? Unsure, never used them personally.
    c) It depends on what the multiple VMs will have installed if you go the full virtualisation route. If it's going to be a minimal arch install...well...you'll probably be alright. But 5 copies of Windows will (apart from having to examine licenses) hurt - I like Windows, but lightweight it ain't.

So...uh...yeah
    An interesting topic, like I said.

:nooo:
    Mate (:teehee:), forget the ethical issues, VMware is going to stomp all over your machine if you try running more than say 5 modern OS's - you're running an entire OS, then running multiple OS's on top of that. Xen has the advantage that you're not running a complete OS underneath, but it's still going to have a large per-vm performance hit. I think Tathrim might know a little more about Xen, he did some stuff with Citrix :holmes:

Read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual...virtualization - this way you aren't virtualising the entire hardware for each machine. As you can imagine this helps a reasonable amount.

Of course, I guess that
    a) You've probably thought about this stuff already
    b) If you have true virtual machines it's conceptually simple to simulate a network (the GUIs help). I guess it's very likely possible with LXCs...but maybe harder? Unsure, never used them personally.
    c) It depends on what the multiple VMs will have installed if you go the full virtualisation route. If it's going to be a minimal arch install...well...you'll probably be alright. But 5 copies of Windows will (apart from having to examine licenses) hurt - I like Windows, but lightweight it ain't.

So...uh...yeah
    An interesting topic, like I said.
    It works for me I've done plenty of load testing I have indeed spent quite some time thinking about it

I know you think I'm a complete dumbass anyway so I dont know why I discussed what I was doiing

ReputationRep:
    It works for me I've done plenty of load testing I have indeed spent quite some time thinking about it

I know you think I'm a complete dumbass anyway so I dont know why I discussed what I was doiing
    :erm:

On a lighter note...

Secret Messages? :p:

ReputationRep:

:no: 100% untrue. A shame that you have this impression, but I guess it explains a bit.
    I just get somewhat over involved (and have been bitten by assuming too much knowledge of someone in the past).
    If it helps, I do it to everyone, although I'm not keen on what that says about me :sad:
    I guess I'm a little too keen on discussing things, being confrontational and having debates (and am genuinely interested in hearing more fwiw).

Chrosson always means well.

On another note (herp derp pun), I am deleting Noteslate from bookmarks. Finished with them when I read the update about hand-drawn interactive games. I hate being trolled.

Has anybody tried Windows 8? Seems too tablet orientated. Hopefully with the old desktop style still being accessible, the Metro UI won't be forced upon us.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    Chrosson always means well.

On another note (herp derp pun), I am deleting Noteslate from bookmarks. Finished with them when I read the update about hand-drawn interactive games. I hate being trolled.

Has anybody tried Windows 8? Seems too tablet orientated. Hopefully with the old desktop style still being accessible, the Metro UI won't be forced upon us.
    Yep, you can switch freely between the two interfaces. I'm yet to try it, I was going to install it on a partition on my Mac when I heard the dev beta was being made public, but I'm yet to find any reason to bother =P What I do find funny is how Microsoft are touting Explorer as having been "streamlined"

So this;

Is meant to be more streamlined than this;

Apparently :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    Yep, you can switch freely between the two interfaces. I'm yet to try it, I was going to install it on a partition on my Mac when I heard the dev beta was being made public, but I'm yet to find any reason to bother =P What I do find funny is how Microsoft are touting Explorer as having been "streamlined"

So this;

Is meant to be more streamlined than this;

Apparently :lolwut:
    I'm sure those things have just appeared because that 'library tools' button has been clicked, by the looks of the screenshot.

Or at least I hope so!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tface)
    I'm sure those things have just appeared because that 'library tools' button has been clicked, by the looks of the screenshot.

Or at least I hope so!
    Aaah, yes, there's a little arrow near the top right which looks like it folds the toolbar up...I hope.
    Phew, that's a relief.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tface)

Or at least I hope so!
    Actually library tools is always selected, and then all of those tabs get shown beneath it. You move away from library tools if you select an image file, for example, where an option called Picture Tools pops up and you get yet another set of tabs showing commands like rotation options or setting it as your desktop. Reading through the dev blog, they don't mention anything about folding up/hiding the tabs :\

Aaah, yes, there's a little arrow near the top right which looks like it folds the toolbar up...I hope.
    Phew, that's a relief.
    I hope so too, it looks like a step backwards at the moment if anything!

ReputationRep:
    I'm using windows 8 now and quite like it. Yes I have to switch back to the main desktop to use chrome and spotify but it will get better as more apps are developed to take advantage of the MetroUI

ReputationRep:
    Quite an in depth preview of the developer build: http://www.techradar.com/news/softwa...5259?artc_pg=1

Looking good to me, final sentence: "extremely compelling and genuinely innovative"

ReputationRep:
    Urgh. Need rid of this crappy Blackberry and O2 are being dicks and saying I can't pay to upgrade early...

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.