Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    :eek3:

No way! I really like the look of their price. So long as it's root-able I'll be fine with it
    I know, they do look excellent. It's the only real tablet that has the ability to do as well as the iPad at the moment, ironically because they're trying to stay as far away from the iPad's niches as possible =P If it wasn't for the fact that one of the main reasons I'm planning to get an iPad are Inkling and Splashtop (Two iOS exclusives), I'd have called my friend who's doing a gap year in California and got him to get me one already!
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    Kindle Fire when it comes out.
    My vouchers will have expired by then probably. :p:

Incidentally, I have a new job starting soon. You'll never guess where. :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dez)
    My vouchers will have expired by then probably. :p:

Incidentally, I have a new job starting soon. You'll never guess where. :holmes:
    Amazon or Google?
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    Amazon or Google?
    Nope. Think closer to home. :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dez)
    Nope. Think closer to home. :awesome:
    ...Apple store?

(Original post by Gofre)
    No plans for an international release for the Fire at the moment :ashamed2:
    I find that a little hard to believe :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tface)
    ...Apple store?

I find that a little hard to believe :confused:
    It may be because some analysts are predicting that it's selling at a loss, and considering the majority of tablets without fruit on the back (and some that do, I'm looking at you RIM) have had opening sales ranging from lacklustre to downright horrendous, they may not have wanted to risk an international release in case initial reception wasn't kind. Obviously it has been well received and pre-order numbers are supposedly through the roof, so I would expect plans for an international release soon.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, Google's CEO announced today that there are 6 million Android tablets in use at the moment, the first definitive figure on the issue. That means that Apple have sold almost twice as many tablets in the last quarter (approx 11 million) than Android manufacturers have since their inception. There was never any question the iPad was ahead in that market, I just never realised there was that severe a disparity in sales

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    Hmm, Google's CEO announced today that there are 6 million Android tablets in use at the moment, the first definitive figure on the issue. That means that Apple have sold almost twice as many tablets in the last quarter (approx 11 million) than Android manufacturers have since their inception. There was never any question the iPad was ahead in that market, I just never realised there was that severe a disparity in sales
    Really?
    Does 'in use' imply total amount sold?
    I'm not trying to be difficult, I just want to double check my understanding - if true it certainly is somewhat alarming...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chrosson)
    Really?
    Does 'in use' imply total amount sold?
    I'm not trying to be difficult, I just want to double check my understanding - if true it certainly is somewhat alarming...
    It covers all Android tablets using Google's inbuilt services like web browser, app marketplace, etc, so the number is likely to be slightly higher. I can't imagine it being too substantial a percentage though. Either way even if that's a worrying number, Apple's userbase is growing by that much every couple of months, and from what I've seen of Ice Cream Sandwich Google haven't done enough to make any major change to that.

On a more comical note, I've just found this side-by-side comparison of the iPhone 4/4S and the Galaxy Nexus. I can't make up my mind if the Nexus looks comically huge or if I'm going to feel inadequate with my iPhone when I stand next to somebody holding one! Either way it made me giggle :ahee:
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    (Original post by tface)
    ...Apple store?
    You're way off. It's much closer to home, you're probably about a foot away from it right now!

(Original post by Gofre)
    It covers all Android tablets using Google's inbuilt services like web browser, app marketplace, etc, so the number is likely to be slightly higher. I can't imagine it being too substantial a percentage though. Either way even if that's a worrying number, Apple's userbase is growing by that much every couple of months, and from what I've seen of Ice Cream Sandwich Google haven't done enough to make any major change to that.

On a more comical note, I've just found this side-by-side comparison of the iPhone 4/4S and the Galaxy Nexus. I can't make up my mind if the Nexus looks comically huge or if I'm going to feel inadequate with my iPhone when I stand next to somebody holding one! Either way it made me giggle :ahee:
    Bigger screen is okay, but means more battery drain. And I bet the Nexus doesn't beat the iPhone for pixel density. And there's the fact that iOS is much nicer to use, although it doesn't do nearly as much as Android OS can of course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    I was more thinking of people who've bought an android phone and then upgraded it...although I see what you mean, even if the entire userbase has done that twice, we're only talking about half a year of iDevice sales.

How depressing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dez)
    You're way off. It's much closer to home, you're probably about a foot away from it right now!
    Now I'm confused XD

Bigger screen is okay, but means more battery drain. And I bet the Nexus doesn't beat the iPhone for pixel density. And there's the fact that iOS is much nicer to use, although it doesn't do nearly as much as Android OS can of course.
    Yeah the retina display still trounces it in that regard, 233ppi compared to 330. And I agree, iOS is a lot more fluid and while it doesn't offer the insane customisability Android does, I'd rather have an OS that runs properly, I could pick up definite lag in some of the animations on the Galaxy S2 of all phones, compared to iOS which actually feels optimised. Plus the app store :drool:

(Original post by Chrosson)
    I was more thinking of people who've bought an android phone and then upgraded it...although I see what you mean, even if the entire userbase has done that twice, we're only talking about half a year of iDevice sales.

How depressing.
    Yep, despite being an Apple fanboy proponent I'd like Android to be in a position to tempt me away, as the old saying goes "competition breeds creativity". Although given the ridiculous state of the tech industry these last few months, I suspect "competition breeds utterly moronic patent wars" is probably more apt :|

(Original post by Dez)
    BT? Virgin? Sky? A mobile or wireless network?

Barr? Dell? Sony? Canon? Sennheiser? Oxford University Press? I'm describing things in a ~1 foot radius. :pierre:
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    BT? Virgin? Sky? A mobile or wireless network?

Barr? Dell? Sony? Canon? Sennheiser? Oxford University Press? I'm describing things in a ~1 foot radius. :pierre:
    You've missed one. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dez)
    British Gas!

(Original post by Gofre)
    Yeah the retina display still trounces it in that regard, 233ppi compared to 330. And I agree, iOS is a lot more fluid and while it doesn't offer the insane customisability Android does, I'd rather have an OS that runs properly, I could pick up definite lag in some of the animations on the Galaxy S2 of all phones, compared to iOS which actually feels optimised. Plus the app store :drool:
    How did you calculate the ppi? I'm getting ~315 using some online tool I Googled.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    How did you calculate the ppi? I'm getting ~315 using some online tool I Googled.
    315 for the nexus or iPhone?

(Original post by Gofre)
    315 for the nexus or iPhone?
    Galaxy Nexus.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    Galaxy Nexus.
    Yours is probably right, I've just realised gsmarena was giving me the ppi for the Nexus S rather than then Galaxy Nexus =P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dez)
    Computer/laptop/monitor/keyboard?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.