Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by secretmessages)
    Ah I see . I do know a few people from compsoc (mainly second years) but not a member myself
    You should join :p:
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Spooky_Rach)
    You should join :p:
    Maybe :p:. Will think about it :cool:.

ReputationRep:
    Do you have any riches?
    Riches? Like, for being helpful? You must be joking.
    I hide in the tech section of the site, occasionally spamming other areas and contributing very little to tsr. Why would I have riches? (and no, i haven't uploaded coursework and have no desire to).

To be honest, I don't really want a sub (yes, I know, :eek:) - I simply don't get enough out of the site to justify another reason to waste time on here.

ReputationRep:
    Also, why is there a limit of 1000 pages on threads?
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Chrosson)
    Also, why is there a limit of 1000 pages on threads?
    500 pages (by default), 10000 posts. Unsure why. Might be a performance-related issue.
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Mad Vlad)
    x
    Do you have the power to move this thread or are certain forums move-restricted?

ReputationRep:
    500 pages (by default), 10000 posts. Unsure why. Might be a performance-related issue.
    Correct. Big threads but huge load on the server. 10000 is a pretty arbitrary number, but it's to prevent the database getting strained. It's also the reason we really don't like thread necro.

ReputationRep:
    Do you have the power to move this thread or are certain forums move-restricted?
    I do, but I need to ask which forum to put it in.
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    I do, but I need to ask which forum to put it in.
    Has this thread got too chatty then? :emo:

Also, thread necro? What's that? Bumped old threads?

ReputationRep:

Quick! Techie stuff!
    Have you heard about the trojans found in firefox add-ons?
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    Quick! Techie stuff!
    Have you heard about the trojans found in firefox add-ons?
    Ah yes, I read that earlier today. I don't use the infected ones, but it does worry me a bit because I use experimental add-ons without a thought most of the time :erm:.

To be honest, even when we're chatting about uni in here it's still tech :dontknow:. It wouldn't feel the same in the chat forum :puppyeyes:

ReputationRep:
    Ah yes, I read that earlier today. I don't use the infected ones, but it does worry me a bit because I use experimental add-ons without a thought most of the time :erm:.

To be honest, even when we're chatting about uni in here it's still tech :dontknow:. It wouldn't feel the same in the chat forum :puppyeyes:
    Tis true.
    On the other hand, my post:rep ratio will be :awesome: if it goes in chat.
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    Tis true.
    On the other hand, my post:rep ratio will be :awesome: if it goes in chat.
    :lol: I'm sure the right decision will be made. If not, we could always split it into two like some other societies, and have a chat thread and a tech thread because there is genuinely a lot of tech chat going on in here :yep:

Anyways, I think it's bed time. Night :teeth: :ciao:

ReputationRep:
    :lol: I'm sure the right decision will be made. If not, we could always split it into two like some other societies, and have a chat thread and a tech thread because there is genuinely a lot of tech chat going on in here :yep:

Anyways, I think it's bed time. Night :teeth: :ciao:
    Yeah. It'd be sad to have to separate the two though.

Yes time for sleep! Remember -
    Programming languages are invented while you sleep, and spread before you wake up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spikeymike)
    I'll be off to bed soon! :lolwut: Feeling drowsy from my medication. :p:

So much for doing work tonight.
    im back:p:

ReputationRep:

I dunno... It's sort of half serious discussion, half chat, so it's on the borderline. :erm:

And yes, thread necro is where you bump old threads.

ReputationRep:
    Ooh... actually, can anyone recommend me a useful, lightweight installable linux distro? (i.e. < 1GB installed and installs by default without me needing to read up on reams of linux command line stuff) I need to test out a theory... :sexface:
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    Ooh... actually, can anyone recommend me a useful, lightweight installable linux distro? (i.e. < 1GB installed and installs by default without me needing to read up on reams of linux command line stuff) I need to test out a theory... :sexface:
    Xubuntu takes up 2 GB, can't really think of any other lightweight distro's that take up any less space, most of them need configuring quite a lot. You could use Knoppix I guess. :dontknow:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    DamnSmallLinux (DSL)? :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    Vectorlinux.
    Alternatively, slax (choose components and basically build your own. no commnad line messing from what I remember).

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.