The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

spikeymike
Building a computing is like lego, simples. :yes:

I currently have 2GB DDR2 800MHz Corsair RAM and an AMD Phenom II x4 @ 3Ghz. :coma: And an ATi Radeon x1950, the only component that has been in my PC since day 1. :facepalm2: I hate it, it's a bit loud.

I don't understand the MHz part of the RAM. Higher is better, yes? So would 4GB at 800MHz be better than 2GB at 1GHz?
secretmessages
I don't understand the MHz part of the RAM. Higher is better, yes? So would 4GB at 800MHz be better than 2GB at 1GHz?

You don't get 1GHz RAM. :ahee: 800MHz, 1066, 1333...

The MHz apart is the data transfer rate. I couldn't say really, it would depend on the rest of the PC spec I'd imagine. :holmes:
spikeymike
You don't get 1GHz RAM. :ahee: 800MHz, 1066, 1333...

The MHz apart is the data transfer rate. I couldn't say really, it would depend on the rest of the PC spec I'd imagine. :holmes:

:hand: It was an example.

I know next to nothing about hardware, I admit that :awesome:
secretmessages
:hand: It was an example.

I know next to nothing about hardware, I admit that :awesome:

I only know some stuff from I've researched when I was building my PC. :dontknow:

Edit:
Time to change my avatar. :ahee:

Edit2:
2nd thoughts nah, **** yeah face is too small. :frown:
spikeymike
I only know some stuff from I've researched when I was building my PC. :dontknow:

Edit:
Time to change my avatar. :ahee:

Edit2:
2nd thoughts nah, **** yeah face is too small. :frown:

:hand: FFFUUUU face might work better. Might try after Tesco :ciao:
secretmessages
:hand: FFFUUUU face might work better. Might try after Tesco :ciao:

:lol: Ciao for now I suppose. :colonhash:
:hello:

:pinch: :woo: 1 pint of Old Rosie cider and I's drunk. :w00t:
Back :sexface:

Hi Rach :sexface:
Spooky_Rach
:hello:

:pinch: :woo: 1 pint of Old Rosie cider and I's drunk. :w00t:

Mixed fruit Kopparberg is :coma:

-------

On a side note... I found a new case, perhaps small enough that I don't have to opt for a mATX build later in the year. I am tempted to get one now for my current build and a new graphics card. :teeth:
secretmessages
Back :sexface:

Hi Rach :sexface:

What did you get? :holmes:

Tesco Value Cornetto again?
spikeymike
What did you get? :holmes:

Tesco Value Cornetto again?

Tesco Value Kettle :teehee:
secretmessages
Tesco Value Kettle :teehee:

Srs? :holmes:

To replace or...?
spikeymike
Srs? :holmes:

To replace or...?

Srs. The old one started turning itself off before boiling, or something like that, required manually holding down to continue :facepalm2:
secretmessages
Srs. The old one started turning itself off before boiling, or something like that, required manually holding down to continue :facepalm2:

Temperature sensor fail? :holmes: :awesome:
spikeymike
Temperature sensor fail? :holmes: :awesome:

Dodgy connection perhaps. I also bought a photo frame :awesome:
secretmessages
Dodgy connection perhaps. I also bought a photo frame :awesome:

Oh you missed a full stop. :teehee:

Ermm... to frame a photo of your old kettle? :p:
Reply 1616
Hi :hello:

Cba to make a whole thread cos I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this anyway, had my external HDD plugged in for a couple of hours (while secretmessages was nicely helping me) and cos I restarted the Laptop about 10 billion times I didn't realise that it wasn't being recognised no more :sad:
Then I listen in and I heard a clicking noise...really quite though...and after a bit of jiggling around it seems to have subsided and the HDD is being recognised again so my question is should I get everything off ASAP? Cos it seems like the hard drive is working again but how long it'll last for :iiam:.

~200gb worth of stuff on there :frown:
bigmo7
Hi :hello:

Cba to make a whole thread cos I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this anyway, had my external HDD plugged in for a couple of hours (while secretmessages was nicely helping me) and cos I restarted the Laptop about 10 billion times I didn't realise that it wasn't being recognised no more :sad:
Then I listen in and I heard a clicking noise...really quite though...and after a bit of jiggling around it seems to have subsided and the HDD is being recognised again so my question is should I get everything off ASAP? Cos it seems like the hard drive is working again but how long it'll last for :iiam:.

~200gb worth of stuff on there :frown:

Yes, hard drives shouldn't make any clicky noises, so yes back up!
Reply 1618
spikeymike
Yes, hard drives shouldn't make any clicky noises, so yes back up!

What do I do with the hard drive after? It seems like a waste, a Western Digital sexy looking thing....I paid £70 for it back in the day!
spikeymike
Oh you missed a full stop. :teehee:

Ermm... to frame a photo of your old kettle? :p:

:hand:

NO U.

Latest

Trending

Trending