Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by spikeymike)
    And there's no fix for it? :lolwut:
    http://i.imgur.com/8n37i.png

^ Shows the webpage and explanation, and the web address if you want to try it out for yourself.
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    In even further news (I'm on a roll today :sexface:), YouTube has an HTML5 beta, but it's not available in Firefox :emo:

Though I have just found out it seems to have been around a while? But I didn't know.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by secretmessages)
    http://i.imgur.com/8n37i.png

^ Shows the webpage and explanation, and the web address if you want to try it out for yourself.
    I just did it for the lulz. :lol:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    In even further news (I'm on a roll today :sexface:), YouTube has an HTML5 beta, but it's not available in Firefox :emo:

Though I have just found out it seems to have been around a while? But I didn't know.
    You'll be on a sandwich tomorrow. :sexface:

I didn't know about it.
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by spikeymike)
    You'll be on a sandwich tomorrow. :sexface:

I didn't know about it.
    I am content then . I wonder if it would work in Firefox 3.7 dev :iiam: *goes to try*

ReputationRep:
    my firefox keeps eating RAM recently
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by alexsheppard11)
    my firefox keeps eating RAM recently
    :yep: Mine always does, not a big problem but it gets annoying sometimes

No change in Firefox 3.7 for HTML5+YouTube :emo:

ReputationRep:
    I've been meaning to get round to editing this for ages...

Spoiler:
    Show

Adapted under Creative Commons Licence from the original (master)piece at xkcd.com
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Mad Vlad)

Spoiler:
    Show

Adapted under Creative Commons Licence from the original (master)piece at xkcd.com
    :teehee: I love them both

ReputationRep:
    :teehee: I love them both
    :awesome: The most frustrating thing about forensics work is the waiting around for the MD5 hash to compute... :pinch:

Even more frustrating is when you get a hash mismatch, and have to start allllll over again!

ReputationRep:

That is so very very true!
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    :awesome: The most frustrating thing about forensics work is the waiting around for the MD5 hash to compute... :pinch:

Even more frustrating is when you get a hash mismatch, and have to start allllll over again!
    I'll just pretend I know what you're talking about, I know next to nothing about hashes

ReputationRep:

Uhhh....what are you computing the hash of? It's gotta be big to consume any kind of reasonable amount of time...

ReputationRep:
    I'll just pretend I know what you're talking about, I know next to nothing about hashes
    #

It's a way of identifying a file. If two files have the same hash, it's almost definite they are the same. Torrent programs use this to verify pieces you're sent.
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Chrosson)
    It's a way of identifying a file. If two files have the same hash, it's almost definite they are the same. Torrent programs use this to verify pieces you're sent.
    I see, yes. I think I remember that from last year's security module. Is that all they're good for, comparing?

ReputationRep:
    An MD5 hash is computed to determine the digital fingerprint of a file, an archive or (more usually in a forensics context) a drive. An MD5 hash is calculated for the original evidence disk. An image of the disk is then taken and the image has an MD5 hash computed on it. If the two hashes are identical, then you have a forensically sound image. The hash must also be checked frequently to ensure that the image has not been altered during examination too. The original drive is then put into storage and the examiner then works on the image. The hash must also be checked frequently to ensure that the image has not been altered during examination too.

MD5 hashes take quite some time to compute. It took about 10 minutes to compute an 8GB virtual machine's disk the other day, using a lab computer's Pentium 4. Black Betty, my desktop at home, is much faster, but if you consider that storage is becoming ubiquitous in the Terabyte range these days, you begin to see that it becomes a rather time consuming (but crucial) task.

ReputationRep:
    I see, yes. I think I remember that from last year's security module. Is that all they're good for, comparing?
    Yup.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    Have you guys not seen xkcdsw yet? :awesome:

• PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    An MD5 hash is computed to determine the digital fingerprint of a file, an archive or (more usually in a forensics context) a drive. An MD5 hash is calculated for the original evidence disk. An image of the disk is then taken and the image has an MD5 hash computed on it. If the two hashes are identical, then you have a forensically sound image. The hash must also be checked frequently to ensure that the image has not been altered during examination too. The original drive is then put into storage and the examiner then works on the image. The hash must also be checked frequently to ensure that the image has not been altered during examination too.

MD5 hashes take quite some time to compute. It took about 10 minutes to compute an 8GB virtual machine's disk the other day, using a lab computer's Pentium 4. Black Betty, my desktop at home, is much faster, but if you consider that storage is becoming ubiquitous in the Terabyte range these days, you begin to see that it becomes a rather time consuming (but crucial) task.
    Why is comparing files such an important/crucial thing to do. How is it useful?
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Dez)
    Have you guys not seen xkcdsw yet? :awesome:

:lol: No I hadn't, looks awesome though

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 26, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.