Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi Everyone!

Got my offer for Exeter - English & French (AAA) and i think i'll be firming it in the near future. Wanted to know what the best accomodation in Exeter is?

I'd like to go catered and with ensuite facilities....and of course be in the most lively and 'happening' halls in exeter!

Help would be much appreciated!

Thank you xx

ReputationRep:
    from what i've read on this forum:

the liveliest hall of exeter is lafrowda, but i guess that's not your thing as it's self-catered and has only standard or enhanced rooms.

the atmosphere in holland hall (catered, ensuite) tends to be not that great.. the people don't really get on with other people or at least not with the closest neighbours. oh and the hall has a reputation for being extremely rah/posh.

penny c is the nicest of the catered halls with ensuite facilities, but the rooms are organised in blocks of 9 and different blocks are separated by doors you can't open without a key.. so you don't probably have that much chanches to hang out with people. but because of that penny c is very safe though.

birks grange has some ensuite rooms and the atmosphere tends to be rather great.. though it's also organised in blocks of about 9 rooms or so and the building works might disturb you.

moberly hall and mardon hall are quite nice or so i've heard.

but really, i think most of the liveliest and "happening" halls are lafrowda (self-catered) and moberly house (catered, not ensuite though as far as i remember).

but if i was you i'd go for penny c or birks grange. you just have to be sure you have the money 'cause they cost a lot O_o plus they don't have lunch on any day of the week which means you have to pay for that too.

ReputationRep:
    It's 6 grand a year......

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by make.a.sound)

the liveliest hall of exeter is lafrowda, but i guess that's not your thing as it's self-catered and has only standard or enhanced rooms.

the atmosphere in holland hall (catered, ensuite) tends to be not that great.. the people don't really get on with other people or at least not with the closest neighbours. oh and the hall has a reputation for being extremely rah/posh.

penny c is the nicest of the catered halls with ensuite facilities, but the rooms are organised in blocks of 9 and different blocks are separated by doors you can't open without a key.. so you don't probably have that much chanches to hang out with people. but because of that penny c is very safe though.

birks grange has some ensuite rooms and the atmosphere tends to be rather great.. though it's also organised in blocks of about 9 rooms or so and the building works might disturb you.

but really, i think most of the liveliest and "happening" halls are lafrowda (self-catered) and moberly house (catered, not ensuite though as far as i remember).

but if i was you i'd go for penny c or birks grange. you just have to be sure you have the money 'cause they cost a lot O_o plus they don't have lunch on any day of the week which means you have to pay for that too.

Brilliant! thank you that's just what i needed.

I see you've also received an offer from exeter? which halls do you think you'll be choosing?

Yeah i know ive heard holland hall isnt very friendly but that the rooms are absolutely amazing (terraces, double beds, larger than average bathrooms...) which is all very tempting! Its certainly a tough one...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diaz89)
    It's 6 grand a year......
    which is that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChloeKitson123)
    which is that?
    my mistake I was referring to the Northfield one

ReputationRep:

NO.
    MOBERLY IS DEATH.

But actually, it's so crummy, you'll probably find that you'll make friends more easily. At least, my brother did, he actually grew to be quite fond of the place...

And you're right about Holland... to borrow from Ferris Bueller's Day Off, it's very pretty... and very cold!

ReputationRep:
    yep i have an offer, 83% overall in the european baccalaureate including 80% in math & 75% in english

anyway, at first i thought i'd like to go to the catered halls, but after reading hundreds of opinions and posts from everywhere i only could find.. i finally decided against them. they seem tempting, but the amount of money you have to pay for that is incredible O.o and the price doesn't even include lunch for any day. so, i think i'm going for the self-catered instead.. i'm so tempted by lafrowda enhanced rooms, maybe not the prettiest place to live, but the atmosphere seems to make up for it. and i've heard many international students live there which is awesome 'cause i really want to hang around with students from as many countries as possible, because that's what i'm used to in my school ^^ in addition to that lafrowda is the cheapest accommodation you can get, so that would leave me quite a lot of money for other things such as socities and horse riding, going out, shopping and travelling also living in the self-catered halls you live together with a bunch of people and i guess you often become very close to them and i think that's quite nice to have a bunch of very good friends!

oh and penny c has balconies, towel heaters, double beds and larger bathrooms also ;D

ReputationRep:
    Not the one my boyfriend is staying in. His ceiling collapsed onto his bed earlier so he has a big 1 metre square hole and a bed covered in rubble right now, his window has been repaired by nailing a piece of wood over it since he moved in and the patio door doesn't shut properly so its always freezing.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I plan to go into which ever one had ensuite rooms/self catered because of course - past that I honestly couldn't care less.

<3

ReputationRep:

A lot of generalizations in there, although some of it is true. Things to consider:

Reputations for halls have always existed, but it's different every year because different people live there each year. You cannot guarantee that your block in Lafrowda will be really lively and good fun, same as you cannot guarantee that your corridor in Holland will be full of stuck up rahs. That said, I would agree to an extent that these reputations are fairly accurate, and lots of people that move in often tend to follow the stereotypes, whether they mean to or not. The age and standard of the building will play a big role here.

Penny C is not necessarily the "nicest" of the accommodation - it's pretty much the same as Holland or Birks. Would also say that the Birks atmosphere isn't necessarily "rather great", it's just like Holland except with fewer rahs.

Moberly and Mardon are completely different. I'll start with Moberly:

Good atmosphere (similar in that sense to Lafroda), fairly basic self-catered and good mix of people. However, main disadvantage is that it's quite a long walk to get to the centre of campus, including going up a very steep hill.

Mardon is just next door to Holland, but is completely different. Older building so not as many luxuries, but consequently has big corridors which can have a great atmosphere. It's catered, and you eat your meals with Holland.

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, Lafrowda is really not that lively. I don't know why people keep saying it.. I think it's to compensate for them being the crappest halls. I've walked past a lot late at night and have not once heard loud music and all of the kitchens look dead. I was going to go to a 'party' there once, but the resident tutors had already stopped it-- before 10 o clock. The people I know living there haven't made friends in their flats and have made friends with people in other flats, but then have nowhere to drink because none of their housemates want people drinking in their kitchens. It may be better than it looks/I've heard, but it's really not the party central of the world.

Holland is not that bad. Half of my friends are from Holland and I can assure you that they're out most nights and they are not stuck up *****. The main issue I can see with Holland is that they seem to get fined a lot and have to be careful about where they pre-lash as everyone I know there has had at least 1 disciplinary.

The fact that corridors are locked in penny c and birks is not a problem. All of you to do is prop the door open with a door stop. Problem solved. I can't speak for Birks, but in Penny c I have never had a problem getting into corridors.

The plus point about penny c is that the resident tutors don't bother us because there aren't any that actually live in penny c. Which has meant we can have our music as loud as we want until whenever we want. you just have to hope you're lucky and don't live with people who will complain about you.

If you want slightly cheaper catered, Hope is great and really social.

Ohh and on the whole 'rah' point, I have not met one stuck up person since I've been here and I've spent quite a bit of time in Holland. of course, if you want to judge someone as stuck up because of the way they look then that is entirely your problem.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Last Summer's Dream)
    ...we can have our music as loud as we want until whenever we want. you just have to hope you're lucky and don't live with people who will complain about you.
    Viewed from another perspective that might not be seen as all that much of a plus...

ReputationRep:
    fair enough comment about the music, but i feel that if you're smart enough to remain civil/friends with your flatmates then they'll be quite happy to turn the music down if you ask - i did not appreciate the time my neighbour came into my room to tell my friend to keep his voice down because it was 'too loud and annoying her' - we were having a normal conversation and it was 6 in the evening on a friday night.

I know a lot of people who had complaints about noise, but no one actually ever came down and said 'sorry, im trying to get to sleep, do you mind keeping it down?'. yes you may get the odd drunken obnoxious idiot who thinks its funny to turn the music up even though their neighbours have asked them to keep it down, but as a rule, if you ask nicely, you'll generally get your way (i've done this many times) don't sit in your room and brood about it!

ReputationRep:
    LSD - it's obviously calmed down a lot since I was there then! Actually, it was so 'lively' (if you like) when I was there that I did actually have to ring campus security a couple of times when it was a bit close to exams :o:

ReputationRep:
    i was on a post-offer open day on wednesday and saw quite a bit of the on-campus halls:
    holland hall
    mardon hall
    hope hall
    penny c
    lopes
    ransom pickard
    lafrowda
    st germans
    rowe house
    lazenby

and i gotta say i was impressed. all of the halls looked like i'd LOVE to live in there, except lafrowda. holland hall was impressive and very pretty and the view is just amazing, but reputation is a bit off-putting though.. but i saw a few holland residents and they didn't seem that bad. mardon hall was really impressive aswell, nice green space in front of the hall and nice view aswell.

lafrowda was quite ugly :'D the standard blocks were so horrible, the kitchens were like prisons XD the enhanced blocks were a bit nicer though. but yeah, two guys i met had lived in lafrowda and both loved it and one girl i met said that everybody who she knows that lived in lafrowda loved it despite the fact it looks so ugly XD

penny c, ransom pickard & lopes were really close together and they all looked amazing. and they had lots of green space too.

hope hall wasn't as pretty as the others, but it looked quite nice anyway lazenby was really small, but it looked pretty.

st germans and rowe house were very nice aswell, MUCH nicer than lafrowda XD

and a girl told me that personally, she felt that birks grange is the best catered.. 'cause that's where all the parties happen xD but she also said that which ever hall you choose, it'll be guaranteed that you think your halls are the best halls ever after a week

ReputationRep:
    Something to add, OP - if you want lively, the older catered halls (Hope/Lopes/Kilmorie) always seemed like there was a lot going on and like there was a good atmosphere. You won't find ensuite there though!

make.a.sound - it's so easy to judge on halls' appearances but you really have no clue what it will actually be like to live there until you do it. As someone who lived in both St Germans and Lafrowda (for one year each) I preferred Lafrowda all the way. In St G's everything broke all the time (electrics kept randomly tripping and hot water kept randomly switching itself off) whereas in Lafrowda that was just never an issue. Plus, NONE of the beds advertised in the posher accommodation blocks as doubles actually are - they're all 1.5s.

ReputationRep:
    Angelil - i know, i'm just saying they look really nice ^^ you're right, you can't know how it's like to live in them before you actually do. + i guess it all really depends on what kind of people are living with you, if they're nice, you can have a blast in any of the halls, if they're ********, you won't have that much fun no matter where you live. and yep, i saw a room in holland and the bed was just a bit bigger than my bed XD not a real double at all.. just a bit bigger than an average bed i guess.

ReputationRep:
    They're not full doubles, but they definitely feel significantly bigger than a single bed.

I agree that Hope certainly is very lively. Lopes is very quiet though. It definitely seems as though all of the people who put down 'Clubbing, parties etc' as their interests were put in Hope, where as quieter people were put in Lopes. Obviously what you're like would depend which halls you prefer.

I didn't apply for Hope and if I applied again I would certainly have put it as my third choice instead of Birks. I would not mind living there at all. The only problem is that there is quite a high chance you'd get a shared room, but then again.. I know that most people have been moved to single rooms now if they wanted to be.

ReputationRep:
    lafrowda was hideous, I'd deal with anything else. But not that.

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.