Best Accomodation in Exeter?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
^^ superficial, much?
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Last Summer's Dream
They're not full doubles, but they definitely feel significantly bigger than a single bed.

I agree that Hope certainly is very lively. Lopes is very quiet though. It definitely seems as though all of the people who put down 'Clubbing, parties etc' as their interests were put in Hope, where as quieter people were put in Lopes. Obviously what you're like would depend which halls you prefer.

I didn't apply for Hope and if I applied again I would certainly have put it as my third choice instead of Birks. I would not mind living there at all. The only problem is that there is quite a high chance you'd get a shared room, but then again.. I know that most people have been moved to single rooms now if they wanted to be.

What makes you think Lopes is quiet? I can honestly assure you it isn't. Bad advice anyway, the atmosphere/liveliness of the halls is not going to be the same every year.
electricfeel--
What makes you think Lopes is quiet? I can honestly assure you it isn't. Bad advice anyway, the atmosphere/liveliness of the halls is not going to be the same every year.

I was advised when I applied that it was usually the quietest out of Hope/Lopes/Penny C.

It seems quiet. The people I know from there don't go out more than a couple of times a week. The only person I know from Lopes that goes out more than that is a prick, so maybe I'm just being unfair on the halls because I don't like one person.
Reply 23
Okay, best accommodation is NOT MOBERLY OR OLD LAFROWDA!!!!!!!!!!!!

Make sure to remember to check at least 1000 times that you have not applied to either of these. Holland and Mardon have got to be the best all-round ensuite accommodation, and I personally don't think they're too rah. If you go to a typical high-performing day public school you should be at home there. If you go to a state school I can imagine you might find most of the crowd a little posh for you. If you really want to avoid the rugby crowd, you should probably keep away from ensuites altogether. Nevertheless, the slightly less well-positioned accommodation at Birks Grange will contain a crowd that is a little bit more varied. You have a better chance of getting into this as well because Mardon and Holland have a very high number of applicants per place.

I can't stress this enough though: DO NOT WRITE MOBERLY OR LAFROWDA ON ANY PART OF YOUR FORM!
Reply 24
Out of curiosity, where do/did you live?
Reply 25
Original post by SimpVeggie
Okay, best accommodation is NOT MOBERLY OR OLD LAFROWDA!!!!!!!!!!!!

Make sure to remember to check at least 1000 times that you have not applied to either of these. Holland and Mardon have got to be the best all-round ensuite accommodation, and I personally don't think they're too rah. If you go to a typical high-performing day public school you should be at home there. If you go to a state school I can imagine you might find most of the crowd a little posh for you. If you really want to avoid the rugby crowd, you should probably keep away from ensuites altogether. Nevertheless, the slightly less well-positioned accommodation at Birks Grange will contain a crowd that is a little bit more varied. You have a better chance of getting into this as well because Mardon and Holland have a very high number of applicants per place.

I can't stress this enough though: DO NOT WRITE MOBERLY OR LAFROWDA ON ANY PART OF YOUR FORM!

Just to warn you, if you apply too holland or mardon you will meet a lot of idiots like this guy who look down on anyone who isn't stupid enough to spend a lot more money per week on uni accommodation.
Reply 26
Essentially, James Owen Court is the best, due to its daily (and occasionally twice-daily) fire alarms bringing us all together, rain or shine, midday or 4'o clock in the morning :tongue:
Reply 27
I'm from London and looking to be in the most relaxed halls of residence, I was leaning towards Lafrowda, but some people have mentione 'resident tutors'. Does that mean just standard wardens, or third year sudents getting free accomodation, or are there actually respectable university staff living in the halls with first years? and is this the same with all halls?
Original post by NW-CG
Essentially, James Owen Court is the best, due to its daily (and occasionally twice-daily) fire alarms bringing us all together, rain or shine, midday or 4'o clock in the morning :tongue:

Hahaha agreed. Plus the fact we get to interact with the local community - there was a lovely chap peeing on Block B's (I think) door the other day.

But seriously, James Owen seems to be a pretty down to earth place but it's not crummy... well THAT crummy. It's definitely not old LaFrowda (the random local guys peeing on it is a rare occurrence... as far as I'm aware, especially if you're in a block in the courtyard)

It all depends on what you want from your accommodation. I wanted self-catered and en-suite and put JOC first for no real reason. I was actually surprised by how nice I found it.

And yeah, the fire alarms are definitely a draw - I love being woken up at 2 am and having an en mass pajama party :cool:
Nothing will ever beat Cook Mews and having our fire alarm start beeping and not stop, us ringing Estate Patrol to be asked 'Is that a Halls of Residence?' :biggrin:
Birks Grange beats all.
Reply 31
Original post by Lynam
Just to warn you, if you apply too holland or mardon you will meet a lot of idiots like this guy who look down on anyone who isn't stupid enough to spend a lot more money per week on uni accommodation.

Umm, actually I don't look down on people who don't spend a lot of money on accommodation, since I am in fact living in Moberly. Pretty difficult to look down on myself, even though you do point out I'm an "idiot". All I was doing was warning the OP not to follow in my footsteps and to realize that the more expensive accommodation is more expensive FOR A REASON!!! To be honest, I don't think it's stupid for people to pay more for a better standard of living. It just depends on your values.
Original post by BeccaRight
I'm from London and looking to be in the most relaxed halls of residence, I was leaning towards Lafrowda, but some people have mentione 'resident tutors'. Does that mean just standard wardens, or third year sudents getting free accomodation, or are there actually respectable university staff living in the halls with first years? and is this the same with all halls?

When I was in halls (2009/10) they were post-grads getting cheaper accommodation. They didn't live in my flat, but they were in some peoples flats. Don't think anyone found it a problem!

I spent a lot of time in Laffy (despite not living there) and it's gonna be SO much nicer now they've demolished the grey brick buildings!

Just don't be too disheartened if you don't get your choices, I ended up placed on Rowancroft (nearly 2 miles from campus) but still had an awesome time!! The walk wasn't much fun in the rain though :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending