Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I've always had catarrh, but sometimes it gets a lot worse - a bit like how people get colds. It might be a cold, but it's not like the colds I've had before. My eyes are constantly streaming, my nose is dribbling clear, watery mucous, my head's pounding like you'd never believe, and my nose.. don't get me started.

Is there something I can do, right now, to get rid of the pressure and the dripping eyes and nose? I've got a decongestant nasal spray (Sudafed, the one that lasts for ten hours), but it's only lasting a couple of hours, maybe four or five. I really can't take it any more, I'm about ready to scream here!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Make a saline sinus rinse (see here). I do these but buy a pre-made solution for convenience. Hope you feel better soon

(Original post by IndiePixie)
    Make a saline sinus rinse (see here). I do these but buy a pre-made solution for convenience. Hope you feel better soon
    Jala neti? Will it just dribble out when one of my nostrils is blocked?

Anyway, thank you very much - I'm just going to see if there's anything in the house resembling a neti pot. :p:

ReputationRep:
    if you have sinusitus you need antibiotics. Get to a doctor ASAP

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tootles)
    I've always had catarrh, but sometimes it gets a lot worse - a bit like how people get colds. It might be a cold, but it's not like the colds I've had before. My eyes are constantly streaming, my nose is dribbling clear, watery mucous, my head's pounding like you'd never believe, and my nose.. don't get me started.

Is there something I can do, right now, to get rid of the pressure and the dripping eyes and nose? I've got a decongestant nasal spray (Sudafed, the one that lasts for ten hours), but it's only lasting a couple of hours, maybe four or five. I really can't take it any more, I'm about ready to scream here!
    This is the only way I could adequately describe sinuitis.

Imagine a claw hammer where the claw is the exact dimension to balance on your nose and each individual claw sticks in over the top of your eyes. No imagine someone trying to rip your forehead off with said device, but for days.

That's my experience of sinusitis!

(Original post by Popppppy)
    if you have sinusitus you need antibiotics. Get to a doctor ASAP
    Last time I tried to get to a doctor, they took forever about getting me an appointment. By the time I got to see him, I was fine. He looked me over and said that there was nothing wrong with me.

Meh. Must just be my imagination.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Last time I tried to get to a doctor, they took forever about getting me an appointment. By the time I got to see him, I was fine. He looked me over and said that there was nothing wrong with me.

Meh. Must just be my imagination.
    I got sinusitis 3 days before my French exam. I went to the doctor's and she put me on 500mg of Amoxycillin, 3 times a day for 5 days, and nasal drops (bloody difficult to use ). I would advise getting an appointment. In the mean time, plenty of Lemsips work a treat
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by AshMcD)
    This is the only way I could adequately describe sinuitis.

Imagine a claw hammer where the claw is the exact dimension to balance on your nose and each individual claw sticks in over the top of your eyes. No imagine someone trying to rip your forehead off with said device, but for days.

That's my experience of sinusitis!
    :yep: and you forgot the, er, 'interesting' coloured mucus :p:

ReputationRep:
    Ibuprofen helps me sometimes, as does inhaling the steam from hot water with some Vicks in. My doctor told me that antibiotics are used sometimes, though their success rate is low due to the fact that they can't actually access the sinus areas in the hollows of the skull. Hope you feel better soon.

ReputationRep:
    Try Vicks nasal inhaler and Karvol capsules put on your pillow when you go to bed.

ReputationRep:
    Ahhh I had sinusitis last week. Headache was a killer. Absolute nightmare. I just took sudafed and sweated it out.

ReputationRep:
    If you've had it a while, Sinusitis wants antibiotics

ReputationRep:

my mum gets bad sinusitus, and she uses the Neilmed sinus rinse- you can buy it in Boots:
    http://www.neilmed.com/uk/index.php

(Original post by sidi)
    Try Vicks nasal inhaler and Karvol capsules put on your pillow when you go to bed.
    I've got an inhaler I've loaded up with Po-Ho oil, and I've just had a shower in very hot water. Got some ibuprofen and paracetamol in me, and some Sudafed.

From what's been said, it might not be sinusitis, but it's definitely not a cold: when I get a cold it always goes onto my chest, and I've just got the most epic imaginable pressure in my head, along with a dribbling nose and buggered ears. Not to mention that the skin around my nose feels like it's been flayed off. What's coming out of my nose is pretty much just clear water.

Thanks very much. I'll have a word with the doctor as soon as possible, and see what happens.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 5, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.