Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

YL_LDN'S chest thread - the road to 100kg bench and beyond. watch

ReputationRep:
    So, in my journey towards becoming a greek statuesque cut figure of pure carnage i'm having trouble with the chest exercises. I have a feeling my routines are the problem. I'm progressing a lot quicker on my other lifts (deadlift/legs in general) but the chest still lags on me.

I'm maxxing on 50kg at the minute which is ok but obv there is a long way to go because i want substantial muscle before i cut down and face the inevitable muscle loss that comes with cutting.

Basically my routines are only incline db bench press and bench press atm. Should i carry on or switch exercises for a while to shock the muscles a bit?

I do 3 sets of up to 50 kg at the minute with around 6 reps each usually. Would like to add that progress has been pretty easy to pick up since starting because i have trained before, but i've been progressing a lot slower lately... like an increase of 1 rep only this week.

ReputationRep:
    Eldon Square by the monument at 2pm tomorrow?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vilage_idoit)
    Eldon Square by the monument at 2pm tomorrow?

sure bro.

ReputationRep:
    didn't you start a thread about how you feel great when you lift way more than guys bigger than you? what are you.....an anorexic dwarf?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hugh-Jackman)
    didn't you start a thread about how you feel great when you lift way more than guys bigger than you?

No! that was my long lost twin brother of course. Ok , it was dickish, but don't start being sentimental, stiff upper lip and that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YL_LDN)
    No! that was my long lost twin brother of course. Ok , it was dickish, but don't start being sentimental, stiff upper lip and that.
    tbh I wasn't that bothered by the thread or your comments...I thought it was funny and didn't think your comments was bad at all. I just expected by your comments that you'd been training for like 6 months and you had naturally good genetics for getting stronger and putting on mass.

ReputationRep:
    tbh I wasn't that bothered by the thread or your comments...I thought it was funny and didn't think your comments was bad at all. I just expected by your comments that you'd been training for like 6 months and you had naturally good genetics for getting stronger and putting on mass.

nah, tbh i've lost a lot of potential to lift bigger quicker after my chest op's but overall i'm pleased to be back and tbh they were an insult to me because they couldn't lift more than me even though i'm a post chest op guy who has to train with someone to spot for me at all times by the doctors orders. Progress HAS to be slow.

ReputationRep:
    about you chest.........are you doing OHP as well??

just the 1.25 kg weights if need be...put one either side and you got a 2.5kg increase..if you did that every fortnight for a year that's like 65kg increase...which puts you on 115kg for reps...2.5kg seems like an insignificant weight at the time...but over time it definitely builds it up...Also just keep eating right and resting well.

ReputationRep:
    also when benching squeeze the bar tightly...seems to help me get more focussed and the adrenaline pumping, plus help my forearms and maybe doing quicker more explosive reps....doesn't mean bouncing off your chest though.

ReputationRep:
    about you chest.........are you doing OHP as well??

just the 1.25 kg weights if need be...put one either side and you got a 2.5kg increase..if you did that every fortnight for a year that's like 65kg increase...which puts you on 115kg for reps...2.5kg seems like an insignificant weight at the time...but over time it definitely builds it up...Also just keep eating right and resting well.

for the delts its been the dumbells, not the barbell for the military press because my forms lacking . alternate dumbell exercises have been fine in terms of consistent results tbh, no need to switch it up there.

i've got my own 1.25 weights at home, i'll bring them in to my workouts. sorted.

Excited.

ReputationRep:
    So, in my journey towards becoming a greek statuesque cut figure of pure carnage i'm having trouble with the chest exercises. I have a feeling my routines are the problem. I'm progressing a lot quicker on my other lifts (deadlift/legs in general) but the chest still lags on me.

I'm maxxing on 50kg at the minute which is ok but obv there is a long way to go because i want substantial muscle before i cut down and face the inevitable muscle loss that comes with cutting.

Basically my routines are only incline db bench press and bench press atm. Should i carry on or switch exercises for a while to shock the muscles a bit?

I do 3 sets of up to 50 kg at the minute with around 6 reps each usually. Would like to add that progress has been pretty easy to pick up since starting because i have trained before, but i've been progressing a lot slower lately... like an increase of 1 rep only this week.
    What's your whole routine (ie. not just chest) look like?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RawJoh1)
    What's your whole routine (ie. not just chest) look like?

Monday: Push A.

Bench press. 3 x 4-8
    DB shoulder press 3 x 4-8
    Close grip bench press 3 x 4-8
    Squats 3 x 4-8
    Calf press 3x 4-8

Tuesday : Pull A

Bent over row 3 x 4-8
    Lat pulldown 3 x 4-8
    DB shrug 3 x 4-8
    DB curl 3 x 4-8
    Stiff leg deadlift 3 x 4-8

Thursday: Push B

Incline DB press 3 x 4-8
    Machine shoulder press or arnold press 3 x 4-8
    Skull crusher 3 x 4-8
    Leg press 3 x 4-8
    Calf raises 3 x 4-8

Friday : Pull B

Deadlift 3 x 4-8
    Assisted Machine pull ups 3 x 4-8
    Barbell shrug 3 x 4-8
    Barbell curl 3 x 4-8
    Leg curls 3 x 4-8

ReputationRep:
    **** workout is a **** workout.

Why do you have 2 days of curls .

why are squats 4th?

why machine shoulder press?

why leg curl and leg press?

ReputationRep:
    Do you train at the gym up stairs in Eldon Square ? 100kg is my goal aswell!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cowsforsale)
    **** workout is a **** workout.

Why do you have 2 days of curls .

why are squats 4th?

why machine shoulder press?

why leg curl and leg press?

How is it ****? When you consider that muscle growth is gradual and relatively slow and it is working all of the key muscles (being both compound lifts / isolation) i think the workout is fine. Machine shoulder press as military press is unstable considering i can't afford to have anymore injuries.

You sound like one of the blind followers of the popular workout programmes without actually giving much consideration as to what I NEED from the workouts. Ciao ciao.

ReputationRep:
    How is it ****? When you consider that muscle growth is gradual and relatively slow and it is working all of the key muscles (being both compound lifts / isolation) i think the workout is fine.

You sound like one of the blind followers of the popular workout programmes without actually giving much consideration as to what I NEED from the workouts. Ciao ciao.
    lol you're not going to get 100kg anytime with that workout soon chum.

and i wouldn't take any advice from you ya git if your benching 50kg and talking about how ****** other people lift you ****.

Actually enlighten me, what do you need from your workout :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cowsforsale)
    lol you're not going to get 100kg anytime with that workout soon chum.

and i wouldn't take any advice from you ya git if your benching 50kg and talking about how ****** other people lift you ****.

Actually enlighten me, what do you need from your workout :lol:
    lol, yeah, rich, starting e-arguments. You're not ******* special no matter what your mother tells you.

I said i was looking for a gradual rate of progress, unless you're a blind **** i think i did already mention that in my thread.

And tbh, i was lifting 80kg before when you were still a fat ******. Suck on that taco.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mau5)
    Do you train at the gym up stairs in Eldon Square ? 100kg is my goal aswell!

Nahhh mate, i train at lifestyle fitness gym in aycliffe (its in co.durham) . I'm on a gap year , chilling and travelling . U in Newcastle too like?

ReputationRep:
    Nahhh mate, i train at lifestyle fitness gym in aycliffe (its in co.durham) . I'm on a gap year , chilling and travelling . U in Newcastle too like?
    Ah right aye I'm in Newcastle and sometimes use that gym because my mate can get me in for free. I'd just do what works best for you though, my routine would probably be frowned upon by weightlifting noobs aswell.

If I was you i'd definately do some chest flys though, i used to neglect them but I think there the main reason my chest is improving so much recently.

ReputationRep:
    lols

6 months and your benching 50kg for reps and you can't understand why your routine looks ****?

ANYWAYS....i'm out

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 11, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.